Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+)

[Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+)

Old Nov 12, 19, 7:49 am
  #151  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Programs: United 1K, CX MPC Silver, AA Gold, CI Corporate Flyer, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 84
Since 2020 will be my last year as 1K, I certainly wonder about the implications for E+ included at booking for platinum and gold. I still haven't decided my flying strategy in 2020 for premier status in 2021. Losing E+ at booking would be the final dealbreaker that would make becoming a free agent the obvious decision.
IMissThe747 is offline  
Old Nov 12, 19, 8:33 am
  #152  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 10,354
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
Anyone happen to recall the standard E- to E+ buyup for SFO-EWR? More or less than the $179 difference in this chart?
The differential is $129 not $179 (G is not matched), and a typical E+ seat is somewhere around $100 to $200 depending on the flight.
findark is offline  
Old Nov 12, 19, 8:40 am
  #153  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,249
Originally Posted by findark View Post
The differential is $129 not $179 (G is not matched), and a typical E+ seat is somewhere around $100 to $200 depending on the flight.
I'll rephrase the question. If someone buys an E- seat with a G fare, what would be the upcharge to move to E+ on the EWR to SFO route?
JimInOhio is offline  
Old Nov 12, 19, 8:53 am
  #154  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 10,354
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I'll rephrase the question. If someone buys an E- seat with a G fare, what would be the upcharge to move to E+ on the EWR to SFO route?
Somewhere between $100 and $200 depending on the seat and flight. A sample booking I tried now ranged from $129 to $165.
findark is offline  
Old Nov 12, 19, 9:39 am
  #155  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 3,709
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I'll rephrase the question. If someone buys an E- seat with a G fare, what would be the upcharge to move to E+ on the EWR to SFO route?
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Somewhere between $100 and $200 depending on the seat and flight. A sample booking I tried now ranged from $129 to $165.
For now.

David
DELee is online now  
Old Nov 12, 19, 9:41 am
  #156  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, Alaska MVP 75K
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by IMissThe747 View Post

I found this. It sure looks like they are selling economy plus as a separate fare. Lots of potential implications here.
I assume that if you as a Gold or higher clicked on the economy fare for $134 when it can time to select seats you would be offered E+ seats to select for no charge, right?
94010flyer is offline  
Old Nov 12, 19, 10:14 am
  #157  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,693
Originally Posted by IMissThe747 View Post

I found this. It sure looks like they are selling economy plus as a separate fare. Lots of potential implications here.
DIsplays like this will make having a status that gets "free" E+ more desirable to some. Sort of puts a $ value on that status for that flight right up front. In this case, status is worth $177 for the one flight.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Nov 12, 19, 10:22 am
  #158  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,872
Do we really need five fare categories?

It does make some modicum of sense to distinguish E+ for the transcon flights that offer meal service, but since we are going down this road I would like to propose 'Basic' and 'Plus' verison of Premium Economy and Business/First as well.

Basic Premium Economy has to take the middle of the triplet/quadruplet seats, and it cannot upgrade to Polaris. Premium Economy Plus (or 'Premium Plus Plus', if you will) is fared in A but has a hidden differential of +$400, and it can boot anyone out of the bulkhead seat selection.

Basic Business/First also has to take the middle on lie-flat aircraft, or it gets no advance seat selection, and it gets no pdb, just for giggles. Business/First Plus gets you an 016- ticket for another airline.
fumje is offline  
Old Nov 12, 19, 10:24 am
  #159  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Posts: 2,134
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
DIsplays like this will make having a status that gets "free" E+ more desirable to some. Sort of puts a $ value on that status for that flight right up front. In this case, status is worth $177 for the one flight.
That's a very elite heavy hub to hub route, and UA is (for now) trying to keep all of the people who have status happy by keeping enough of those seats open. I suspect that the market equilibrium price for those seats, i.e. the price at which they'd actually sell all of those seats instead of giving them away, is substantially less than $177, perhaps in the $60-100 range. And I have no doubt that this is on UA's list of "changes we'll like" that they want to implement next.
STS-134 is offline  
Old Nov 12, 19, 10:26 am
  #160  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 42,274
UA has stated this is a test, and they are undoubtedly watching to see how many people will overpay for a fare that includes E+.
Kacee is online now  
Old Nov 12, 19, 10:27 am
  #161  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,249
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Somewhere between $100 and $200 depending on the seat and flight. A sample booking I tried now ranged from $129 to $165.
Thank you and clearly it's less than buying the E+ seat from the start.
JimInOhio is offline  
Old Nov 12, 19, 10:31 am
  #162  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: 6 year GS, now MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, VX Gold, SkyPeso PLT
Posts: 6,312
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Even if you grant some kind of upgrade benefit, it's still a big devaluation. The current UA approach offers way more convenience and flexibility than how DL handles C+.

At this point, I won't be surprised by anything UA does to further devalue MP.
+1 on both points. I much, much prefer the way UA (and AS) do it vs. DL. The rub is that I often buy last minute tickets, and while E+/C+ aisle/window may not be available, they are likely to open up as upgrades clear. On UA I can check, move my seat, on DL I have to worry I get jammed into a middle seat. As a result on DL I will often turn off the upgrade feature if I have a decent exit row seat (exits on DL are NOT C+ on domestic planes). If UA, which has exit rows as E+ were to do what DL does, it would be a total mess over. And of course, since it's UA, you can count on them doing the worst possible thing.
spin88 is offline  
Old Nov 12, 19, 10:42 am
  #163  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 10,354
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Basic Business/First also has to take the middle on lie-flat aircraft, or it gets no advance seat selection, and it gets no pdb, just for giggles. Business/First Plus gets you an 016- ticket for another airline.
Please, no bad ideas

This is already happening on a number of carriers (LH has no ASR on most PE fares, BA charges for ASR in J, some of the ME3 have trialed Basic Business with things like no ASR or no lounge access).
findark is offline  
Old Nov 12, 19, 10:56 am
  #164  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
DIsplays like this will make having a status that gets "free" E+ more desirable to some. Sort of puts a $ value on that status for that flight right up front. In this case, status is worth $177 for the one flight.
Yes and no. The G fare with free E+ based on status isn't the same as the B fare because the B fare is also eligible for instant upgrades.
Howard is offline  
Old Nov 12, 19, 11:06 am
  #165  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,872
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Please, no bad ideas

This is already happening on a number of carriers (LH has no ASR on most PE fares, BA charges for ASR in J, some of the ME3 have trialed Basic Business with things like no ASR or no lounge access).
Well it won't be from me then that they get the idea! I will join you to say (to UA), please, no (more) bad ideas.


Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Yes and no. The G fare with free E+ based on status isn't the same as the B fare because the B fare is also eligible for instant upgrades.
Yes and no to that as well!

There are no instant upgrades for EWR-SFO. (But yes, that would apply to the CHI/NYC route discussed first.)
fumje is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread