FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Tricks to achieve card spend limit to get PQD waiver (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1994534-tricks-achieve-card-spend-limit-get-pqd-waiver.html)

bigshooter Nov 9, 2019 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 31720533)
I can think of one easy way you could do it: partner flights on non-016 tickets.

If he was only flying on Star Alliance partners with non-016 tickets then the United Plat status won't really be doing much for him... not relevant to the initial ask, but makes me curious how you get into this situation .

wesport Nov 10, 2019 3:42 am

If I get to the end of the year, and haven't reached the $30000 on my British Airways Chase card, I just put my property taxes on the card. Have to pay the service fee, but it is worth it.

STS-134 Nov 10, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 31720822)
If he was only flying on Star Alliance partners with non-016 tickets then the United Plat status won't really be doing much for him... not relevant to the initial ask, but makes me curious how you get into this situation .

He never said his goal was Plat, he said he had the miles for Plat. But assuming his goal was *G, he won't even be getting that without a PQD waiver.

coolbeans202 Nov 10, 2019 9:06 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 31720487)
I'm going to derail the thread slightly, but how do you have 75000 PQM/90 PQS to achieve Plat, but you don't have at least enough spend for silver/gold? Just confused by your statement of having zero status.

I'll end the year with ~76K PQM's and $3,300 in PQD. Swap out Christmas travel for something in the low season and I could probably be under $3K. A $650 ticket to BKK , a ~$550 ticket to Sydney, and a very cheap P/R fare combo to Europe didn't hurt. My PQD is normally in the $8-$10K range but this was just an off year with not a lot of business travel and some cheap personal tickets. Crossed 1MM back in October which comes at the perfect time.

BudgetJetsetter Nov 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 31720487)
I'm going to derail the thread slightly, but how do you have 75000 PQM/90 PQS to achieve Plat, but you don't have at least enough spend for silver/gold? Just confused by your statement of having zero status.

I can see how OP has less than $3k PQD with good old fashioned mileage runs, cheap fares and the waiver(which is what United is targeting with next year's elite requirements).

I don't normally do mileage runs but I had to go to Asia anyway and the opportunity to do the island hopper cheap presented itself. I booked EWR-NRT-SGN, PEK-NRT-GUM-(island hopper)HNL-EWR-YOW for $467.That itinerary earned me about 20k PQM but $310 or so in PQD.

Another example was where I used miles to get to Asia for another trip and came back to the US with PVG-SFO-LAX for $162 ($127 PQD but 6700 PQM).

The cheap $250-$300 fares to Europe from the US adds PQMs but little PQD too.