FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   PQS Suggestion to UA - allow PQS earning on award flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1994525-pqs-suggestion-ua-allow-pqs-earning-award-flights.html)

hotelboy Nov 7, 2019 4:25 pm

PQS Suggestion to UA - allow PQS earning on award flights

Allow if nothing else you to earn PQS on Redemption flights.

WineCountryUA Nov 7, 2019 4:32 pm

Other than it may be useful to some, why just PQS earning versus say lifetime miles (which I would prefer) or some other items?

I do like that Marriott counts room nights on award stays.

mahasamatman Nov 7, 2019 7:09 pm

Yeah. Right.

JimInOhio Nov 7, 2019 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31713123)
Other than it may be useful to some, why just PQS earning versus say lifetime miles (which I would prefer) or some other items?

Thanks to the Starwood acquisition. Beforehand, award night never counted toward annual elite status at Marriott.

UA_Flyer Nov 7, 2019 8:18 pm

We all have our wish lists based on our own needs.

Some are realistic and should be written in to see UA will consider.

Others are pile dreams that people post in this forum to vent.

which one is this?

jsloan Nov 7, 2019 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by hotelboy (Post 31713098)
Allow if nothing else you to earn PQS on Redemption flights.

PQSes are going away at the end of the year. There is zero chance this happens.

I suppose they could give PQF credit, but they won't.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 31713649)
Thanks to the Starwood acquisition. Beforehand, award night never counted toward annual elite status at Marriott.

I believe it predates the acquisition by a year or so. It was largely seen as a response to *Wood at the time, IIRC.

RobOnLI Nov 7, 2019 9:22 pm

I also never see UA allowing this.

And @jsloan is correct. Marriott counted award nights towards elite status well before the merger with *wood. Based on a Flyertalk search it appears this feature started in 2015. That's long before any proposed merger so I don't think *wood had anything to do with it. They were likely following another brand who did it at the time (*wood, Hilton, etc.).

-RM

travelinmanS Nov 8, 2019 3:33 am

The best suggestion is to stop caring about PQS/PQD etc. Fly the best priced itinerary that meets your needs regardless of airline. Chasing status isn’t worth it and ironically the only way to make the airlines take notice and possibly return status to something worth while is to stop and be a free agent.

hotelboy Nov 8, 2019 7:48 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31713875)
PQSes are going away at the end of the year. There is zero chance this happens.

I suppose they could give PQF credit, but they won't.

I believe it predates the acquisition by a year or so. It was largely seen as a response to *Wood at the time, IIRC.

Okay.,.PQF...same idea. Different name.

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 31714466)
The best suggestion is to stop caring about PQS/PQD etc. Fly the best priced itinerary that meets your needs regardless of airline. Chasing status isn’t worth it and ironically the only way to make the airlines take notice and possibly return status to something worth while is to stop and be a free agent.

Except when you frequently travel to areas that ONLY have United service year round or most of the year.

Often1 Nov 8, 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by hotelboy (Post 31715058)
Except when you frequently travel to areas that ONLY have United service year round or most of the year.

In which case, UA ought to move to a system in which there are no earnings whatsoever on routes with no competition, no matter how much you pay.:)

cesco.g Nov 8, 2019 11:11 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31713123)

There might be some discertionary spending on award stays, which prompted SPG's offer. (e.g. breakfast & dinners on our last stay at a SPG property in Maui).

Not sure, how much extra there is to spend on an airline flight.

jsloan Nov 8, 2019 11:21 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 31715918)
There might be some discertionary spending on award stays, which prompted SPG's offer. (e.g. breakfast & dinners on our last stay at a SPG property in Maui).

I doubt that had much to do with it. It was more likely seen as a way to generate goodwill at minimal cost. All it does is lower the qualification thresholds a bit for people who use their points.

I've long thought that UA should have done this when they moved to spend-based earning, for the same reason. It wouldn't have been difficult for them to give PQM on UA-operated award flights, and it would even have given people an incentive to choose UA metal over partner awards. (Trying to get it done on partner flights might have been a bridge too far).

With the elimination of PQM, though*, and UA showing that their primary criterion across the board is spending -- PQF aren't actually necessary and merely lower the spending requirements -- there's no chance that they will do anything like this. I suppose they could "enhance" the Million Miler program by counting awards, but I'm not sure I'd like to see the corresponding cut...

* MacOS somehow autocompleted this to "thoughtcrime" when I first typed it, which seemed amazingly apropos. ;)

FlyerTalker70 Nov 8, 2019 1:51 pm

Checking a recent award booking on UA for next year I do notice PQF accrual (albeit now PQP accrual):

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4ef9e7e97d.png

Perhaps this is a momentary glitch that will be ironed out by 2020 or maybe it's UA exercising some much needed goodwill here.

-James

jsloan Nov 8, 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 31716526)
Checking a recent award booking on UA for next year

Aeroplan or MileagePlus award?

FlyerTalker70 Nov 8, 2019 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31716556)
Aeroplan or MileagePlus award?

Aeroplan it could be a glitch like getting CPUs on domestic award flights but thought I’d post it. What has folks experience been for award flights booked Jan 1 onwards?

-James