FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Fun with Fare Classes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1994485-fun-fare-classes.html)

vgutkovsky Nov 7, 19 12:29 pm

Fun with Fare Classes

As a full time data viz consultant and a travel hacking hobbyist, about a year ago I decided it would be a fun project to create a script that would mine pricing information at the fare class level. The bot ran every day for almost a year, scraping data for 19 different United flights. I then took the data and visualized it, in an attempt to add some transparency to what has pretty much been a black box. You can find a sneak preview below, and the full article here: https://www.infinityinsight.com/blog/?p=388&src=1. I'm not sure if this helps anyone, just wanted to share some geeky fun for like-minded individuals :cool:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6919a9c3b4.png
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1090a2cb00.png

GBadger Nov 7, 19 3:26 pm

Very interesting. I'm curious when B fares are ever 10-20% of Y fares... Can you shed some light on any patterns related to the production of those cases?

MSPeconomist Nov 7, 19 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger (Post 31712670)
Very interesting. I'm curious when B fares are ever 10-20% of Y fares... Can you shed some light on any patterns related to the production of those cases?

Some government fares are Y, but they're heavily discounted on most routes (even for last seat availability).

vgutkovsky Nov 7, 19 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger (Post 31712670)

For instance, flip the "Visualizing the Flow" charts to flight 1741. Class B was at a significant discount vs Y for most of the time the flight was on sale.

vgutkovsky Nov 7, 19 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31712755)
Some government fares are Y, but they're heavily discounted on most routes (even for last seat availability).

All the analysis was for fares that a regular person could buy, not any special fares.

jsloan Nov 7, 19 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by vgutkovsky (Post 31712833)
For instance, flip the "Visualizing the Flow" charts to flight 1741. Class B was at a significant discount vs Y for most of the time the flight was on sale.

It's not a "real" B fare, but it sort of acts like one.

For some reason, UA has published a PE fare table for the CHI-NYC market, which uses differential pricing like domestic F. Of course, there are no PE-equipped planes on that route, so it delegates to B. The cheapest such fare is available with a 14-day advance purchase, on any flight with K availability. I just tried it for a random date in December, and I get a one-way "B" fare for $193. It will accrue at B rates (1.5x PQM) and will be instant-upgrade eligible -- and it should be eligible for free E+, regardless of status -- but otherwise it's still a run-of-the-mill non-refundable fare.

I remember seeing a post recently from someone contemplating a mileage run who had also found a similar low B fare.

vgutkovsky Nov 7, 19 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31712877)

For some reason, UA has published a PE fare table for the CHI-NYC market, which uses differential pricing like domestic F. Of course, there are no PE-equipped planes on that route, so it delegates to B. The cheapest such fare is available with a 14-day advance purchase, on any flight with K availability. I just tried it for a random date in December, and I get a one-way "B" fare for $193. It will accrue at B rates (1.5x PQM) and will be instant-upgrade eligible -- and it should be eligible for free E+, regardless of status -- but otherwise it's still a run-of-the-mill non-refundable fare.

I remember seeing a post recently from someone contemplating a mileage run who had also found a similar low B fare.

That's really fascinating! Thank you for the insight (and for joining in the conversation)!

findark Nov 7, 19 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31712877)

Wow, nice find. Net of it is that E+ will now price a separate cabin, currently booking into B and giving 150% PQM (soon to be irrelevant anyway). Details below:

Looks like this is the rollout of E+ as a separate cabin. Because PE remains present on its own terms in the domestic market, this is pretty clearly going the way of Delta where there will be four classes of service: Y/E+/PE/J. Remains to be seen if they will try to rotate out a booking code or two for Economy Plus as an rbd and/or change the technical means of elite access to "upgrade at purchase" like Delta now does. The "shadow B fares" as it were are not in fact delegating; they simply have B as the prime rbd and do indeed carry the secondary inventory check. Like other PE fares, when booking in B they permit E+ assignment for free for non-elites.

E+ cabin fares have 'P' in seventh position; true domestic PE has 'O' in seventh position. They are published in parallel on SFO-EWR, but not in all markets yet (SFO-IAD has neither).

SFO-EWR fare family W4/Q:

Code:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cxr    Basis      BC  Cbn    Price  Tp  AP  Min  Max  Days    Rf 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 UA  WAA4AQBN      N  Y    $280.00  OW  14                      N
 UA  WAA4AQDN      W  Y    $315.00  OW  14                      N
 UA  WAA4AQPN      B  Y    $444.00  OW  14                      N
 UA  WAA4AQON      A  W    $514.00  OW  14                      N
 UA  VAP30UPN      P  J    $694.00  OW  30                      N

BE is ($35), E+ is $129, PE is $199. J remains non-differential on p.s. routes.

E+ fare filing and booking rules:

Code:

V FARE BASIS    BK    FARE  TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  1  WAA4AQPN      B‡X  444.00    ----    14/1  -/  -  522
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                AUTO PRICE-YES             
FROM-SFO TO-EWR    CXR-UA    TVL-07NOV19  RULE-EPQ2 DFR/11
FARE BASIS-WAA4AQPN          SPECIAL FARE  DIS-N  VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-ZZP      OW-PREMIUM ECONOMY ONE WAY ADVANCE PURCHASE
USD  413.02  0522  E04NOV19 D-INFINITY  FC-WAA4AQPN  FN-   
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 04NOV19/1512  EXPIRES INFINITY

PUBLISHED RTG SFO-EWR/UA522 /TAR-DRG1    EF-04NOV19 DIS-INDEF

MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT