CC use to maintain 1K status?

Old Nov 3, 19, 3:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hawaii
Programs: United 1K 2 MM
Posts: 1,087
CC use to maintain 1K status?

I am spending way too much time on this.....We have a MP Select and a MP signature card, that we've had for years.

Reading through the jargon on the UA web site, it seems some cards can accrue PQPs through spending $12,000 and getting 500 PQPs
But, in the fine print, some of the cards will only let you use the PQP "up to Platinum".

The Select card lets you accrue PQPs to reach 1K status.

I am not sure about the second card, which just says Mileage Plus Card. Below the Visa logo there is "signature" in small print. I've had this card forever...but I can't tell if this card will be useless in trying to accumulate enough spend to reach 1K. It is useless trying to call MPVisa.
mmack is offline  
Old Nov 3, 19, 5:03 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SEA
Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Posts: 258
Unless you have one of the grandfathered in cards like the old Presidential CO cards, why bother? Find a CC that gives you points to use on almost any other airline -- or even United if you want.
SFHokie is offline  
Old Nov 3, 19, 7:20 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by SFHokie View Post
Unless you have one of the grandfathered in cards like the old Presidential CO cards, why bother? Find a CC that gives you points to use on almost any other airline -- or even United if you want.
Sure, but those won't get you PQP, only award miles. OP wants to know about premier qualifying miles.

OP: "Signature" is simply a class of Visa/Chase cards, which include the MP Club card (and possibly the explorer ... not sure, as I don't have that one). If it's explorer/club, it'll earn some PQPs, but only up to Platinum.
zoned_post_meridiem is offline  
Old Nov 3, 19, 7:32 pm
  #4  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 49,746
  • The UnitedSM Explorer Card, United ClubSM Card, UnitedSM Explorer Business Card, United ClubSM Business Card, United MileagePlus® Awards Card, United MileagePlus® Card, and United MileagePlus® Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum.
  • The United MileagePlus® Select Card and United MileagePlus® Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
  • The UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
In summary, older cards good for up to 1K, newer cards Plat max.

Additionally, the previous FPQMs earned by PresidentailPlus, Those FPQMs when converted to FPQPs will be limited to Plat bit it is referring to FPQMs earned in 2019 or earlier. And if you don't have a PresPlus card, it is a moot limitation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 3, 19 at 7:41 pm Reason: FPQMs
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Nov 3, 19, 9:26 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NY NJ
Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
Posts: 199
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
In summary, older cards good for up to 1K, newer cards Plat max.

Additionally, the previous FPQMs earned by PresidentailPlus, Those FPQMs when converted to FPQPs will be limited to Plat bit it is referring to FPQMs earned in 2019 or earlier. And if you don't have a PresPlus card, it is a moot limitation.

Where red did you see that FPQM converted to FPQP will only work up to Plat ?
solma is offline  
Old Nov 3, 19, 9:38 pm
  #6  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 49,746
Originally Posted by solma View Post
Where red did you see that FPQM converted to FPQP will only work up to Plat ?
FPQM have always been limited to support a max of Plat.
The new rules explictly state the PQP earned in 2020 will be useable up to 1K

see discussion in
PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-flex-pqm.html
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 2:40 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NY NJ
Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
Posts: 199
Thanks
solma is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 4:40 am
  #8  
1P
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL PM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
Posts: 3,105
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post

Quote:
  • The UnitedSM Explorer Card, United ClubSM Card, UnitedSM Explorer Business Card, United ClubSM Business Card, United MileagePlus® Awards Card, United MileagePlus® Card, and United MileagePlus® Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum.
  • The United MileagePlus® Select Card and United MileagePlus® Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
  • The UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.

In summary, older cards good for up to 1K, newer cards Plat max.
The problem with the bullet point list above is that is doesn't mention Mileage Plus Signature Visa at all, which was part of OP's original query.
1P is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 5:19 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Posts: 407
I know I am in the minority here, but since I have one of those grandfathered cards, I am big time in favor of the new changes in qualification for 1K.

Even with the higher spend requirements, the fact that I can use spend on the card for 1K is a huge enhancement (and not in the FT sense of the word!). I have a bank of FPQM's that I will never use because I make platinum easily every year, but suspect that going forward, I will use the new PQP's every year for 1K.

I keep waiting for them to drop PQP's-from-credit-cards altogether. Can't believe it didn't happen.

As an aside, I'm probably the poster child for why the conversion of FPQM's to FPQP's only gives you FPQM's the work up to platinum, as my big bank of FPQM's will yield a big chunk of FPQM's... if they were good for 1K, this would be a huge jump in value.

Last edited by cjermain; Nov 4, 19 at 7:30 am
cjermain is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:43 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by cjermain View Post

I have a bank of FPQM's that I will never use because I make platinum easily every year, but suspect that going forward, I will use the new FPQP's every year for 1K.

I keep waiting for them to drop FPQM's/FPQP's altogether. Can't believe it didn't happen.
Two things of note here:

FPQP's will only ever be able to be used to achieve "up to Platinum status." (Not 1K). The new system of earning PQP's within the calendar year (no longer Flex) will be eligible to apply toward 1K status.

My understanding is that FPQP's will disappear once everyone's current balances are expired or depleted, sans those earned prior to 2012 (which currently have no expiration).

Hope this helps!

SAP
SAPriorityTag is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 7:09 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: None - previously UA
Posts: 3,004
Originally Posted by mmack View Post
I am not sure about the second card, which just says Mileage Plus Card. Below the Visa logo there is "signature" in small print. I've had this card forever..
Thats what my old Platinum Visa now resembles. I got a letter stating it would earn up to 3K PQP valid for 1K.
escapefromphl is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 7:31 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Posts: 407
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag View Post
Two things of note here:

FPQP's will only ever be able to be used to achieve "up to Platinum status." (Not 1K). The new system of earning PQP's within the calendar year (no longer Flex) will be eligible to apply toward 1K status.
SAP
Yeah, I understand that, but my post was really confusing. I didn't distinguish between PQPs and FPQP's. Fixed it.
cjermain is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 2:21 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hawaii
Programs: United 1K 2 MM
Posts: 1,087
Originally Posted by cjermain View Post
Yeah, I understand that, but my post was really confusing. I didn't distinguish between PQPs and FPQP's. Fixed it.
What are FPQPs?

Thanks to the other poster for pointing out that my card resembles his Platinum VISA... I want to be sure if we do accrue points on theses cards that they work towards 1K status.
mmack is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 4:51 pm
  #14  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 49,746
Originally Posted by mmack View Post
What are FPQPs? ....
Unique to the PresidentialPlus leagcy card
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-flex-pqm.html
WineCountryUA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: