Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 2, 20, 9:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: texd
Wiki Link
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 12, 20, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stopdiabetes View Post
This is the front page of the Business Section
The article was on the front page of the Houston Chronicle Business Section today, and I understand the points people make about overcrowding due to passes handed out by UA, and criticizing me for not making that point in the story. I did, but it was not used in the story. I also mentioned the threat to cut of Lifetime members from drinks, and CO relenting due to the number of demand letters from lawyers. That too was not included. My thought was, and is that the right thing for UA to do is to grandfather Lifetime members, especially in the wake of AA and DL doing just that. I think keeping the heat on is the right thing to do, and for some of us to come up with the initial solicitation that I can't find, that did promise you can fly on any airline for your lifetime. That was a material inducement and it should be honored, period, IMHO. Last, when someone asserts their rights, I don't think it's fair to say they are whiners. They are simply asserting that UA should honor its word. I still think it will.
I don't think anyone blames you/anyone for the optics of the article - which in my opinion, doesn't look good for the lifetime members. There is always a risk on how a reporter will report a story.

Unless you have some inside information - UA isn't going to change their minds. They had a year to change their minds - they've defended and won multiple lifetime lawsuits - and this article and its quotes by UA tells me it is sticking with its plan.

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Jan 12, 20 at 7:06 pm
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Unless you have some inside information - UA isn't going to change their minds. They had a year to change their minds - they've defended and won multiple lifetime lawsuits - and this article and its quotes by UA tells me it is sticking with its plan.
As a legacy Million Mile Flyer and a lifetime Silver Wings member I’ve been rooting for you folks.

I agree. This will make UA 3/3 against their various loyal lifetime members.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I don't think anyone blames you/anyone for the optics of the article - which in my opinion, doesn't look good for the lifetime members. There is always a risk on how a reporter will report a story.
I actually didn't think the article was that bad. It wasn't a drum-beat propaganda piece for lifetime members, but I thought it accurately showed why they are upset (even if not every nuance).
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:54 am

I would have preferred if it explained how little of a problem lifetime members really are and how little we cost to service. United is really digging in between the couch cushions to try and find every penny. It's shameful.
SPN Lifer and mnmag like this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 9:32 am
st3

Programs: National Exec, UA MP, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
Well, they also screw over the people who hold the UA CCs. I've been at ORD and EWR many times when they had signs up saying that one-day passes are not accepted at specific lounges and redirect people to other lounges. I was glad I had access as a *G during those times.
The United Club Card is a full UC membership so only some of the cards would be in a pinch. Judging from how aggressively they were pushing the Explorer cards on my EWR-TPA flight last night there are probably plenty of those cards out there!
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:23 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by st3 View Post
The United Club Card is a full UC membership so only some of the cards would be in a pinch. Judging from how aggressively they were pushing the Explorer cards on my EWR-TPA flight last night there are probably plenty of those cards out there!
Indeed. I said UA CCs in general, but I meant the MPE cards and one time passes.
st3 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 20, 8:18 am

Programs: Hilton D, UA 1MM LT 1K-, LT UAClub, DL MS, DL 1MM, Former LT PClub, CO Infinite Elite
yes, please
Old Jan 17, 20, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Fair point, but CO folded when legally pressed on revoking beverage privileges in the early 90s, sending a contrite letter and special black lifetime cards for the members who'd joined before all the fine print that allowed virtually any changes the carrier wanted. And I got a real kick out of a nice phone call from the first woman Supreme Court of Texas judge, who wanted us to know she supports a legal effort and would be a part. She also opined that virtually any court would order the carrier to produce all its marketing materials and terms and conditions for all periods that the carrier marketed the lifetime benefits.
Xyzzy, jiburi and worldwidedreamer like this.
Old Jan 29, 20, 9:06 pm

I have contacted two class action firms and they both said we may have a case, but they said they could not take this one right now. Still working on it.
nsx, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 20, 5:08 pm

Programs: Many, but currently grounded.
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I have contacted two class action firms and they both said we may have a case, but they said they could not take this one right now. Still working on it.
If I was one of those law firms, I'd be interested in how many lifetime United Club members exist. There is a x% probability of collecting damages times x people minus z expenses...and the damages are probably going to be limited to a relatively low number per person (say $10k tops). If there are only 1,000 lifetime members the math might not work.
Old Feb 6, 20, 9:04 pm

NHawkeye

Would like to join class action suit. Lifetime club membership purchased w/ cash.
Xyzzy, ContPlat and mnmag like this.
Old Feb 6, 20, 9:59 pm

Working on it.
Xyzzy and mnmag like this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Spire, IC Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Natl Exe Elite
Originally Posted by NHawkeye View Post
Would like to join class action suit. Lifetime club membership purchased w/ cash.
Count me in. I paid for it 30 years ago!
Old Feb 17, 20, 3:45 am

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Sometimes the cost of seeking legal recourse makes the pursuit of viable claims not practical.

Happy Presidents Day, everyone!
Old Feb 18, 20, 12:02 am

Programs: Hilton D, UA 1MM LT 1K-, LT UAClub, DL MS, DL 1MM, Former LT PClub, CO Infinite Elite
Reply to Chronicle comment

Originally Posted by chavala View Post
That is an understatement!
Read some of the comments. I don’t think this article helped your case at all.

“what a bunch of whiners”
And
Come on Jim, join me in starting a fund to help the victims of these awful purges. I think a full time counselor on an as needed basis. Join me in this effort and I'm certain you would know you've done your best to help these abused first class air travelers.”
I don't subscribe, so I can't post. Follows is what I tried to say to JIM442 and OldTx,,,

I wonder how JIM442 and OldTx would feel if they bought a car and the seller decided to take out the seats? We bought full time, anytime the club is open, access. I paid thousands of dollars for mine. It now has virtually no value as I get the lounges when flying Star anyway. Sharp Practice.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and mnmag like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: