Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 2, 20, 9:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: texd
Wiki Link
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 8, 20, 2:53 pm

Programs: Many, but currently grounded.
Going back through some old emails, I found one that clearly implies that Presidents Club members can use the lounge whenever from 2010. Should I post the text here?

Also---for those with Gmail you can find Presidents Club correspondence by searching for [email protected].
Old Jan 8, 20, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I have contacted Foley Bezer three times with no call back. Can someone else recommend another firm?
Google "law firms specializing in class action lawsuits" and a long list will appear
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:09 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
Going back through some old emails, I found one that clearly implies that Presidents Club members can use the lounge whenever from 2010. Should I post the text here?
Yes please!
Old Jan 9, 20, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by gleff View Post
I just spoke with a reporter for a paper based in one of United's hubs. She's writing a story on United's decision not to honor the terms of lifetime United Club memberships. She'd like to speak with customers who have lifetime memberships.

If you'd be willing to speak to this reporter please PM me
Story is live: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...e-14962083.php
Old Jan 9, 20, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gleff View Post
I'm not sure that article comes off very sympathetic to lifetime members.....

Nor does the UA quotes in the article open any doors for rethinking the policy

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Jan 9, 20 at 3:18 pm
Old Jan 9, 20, 3:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
I wish the article had explained that overcrowding is the result of giving out club passes by the millions as an incentive to open United credit card accounts. Those credit cards earn United hundreds of millions of dollars, at least some of which is attributable to the club passes.

In essence, United oversold its club seating. Its solution was involuntary denied boarding for lifetime members with no compensation.
Mikey, SPN Lifer and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 3:56 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
I wish the article had explained that overcrowding is the result of giving out club passes by the millions as an incentive to open United credit card accounts. Those credit cards earn United hundreds of millions of dollars, at least some of which is attributable to the club passes.

In essence, United oversold its club seating. Its solution was involuntary denied boarding for lifetime members with no compensation.
They definitely oversold their club seating, and decided people flying their competitors were the lowest priority. That is the the precise explanation for this.

Still it is a crappy way of doing business.
Old Jan 9, 20, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
They definitely oversold their club seating, and decided people flying their competitors were the lowest priority. That is the the precise explanation for this.

Still it is a crappy way of doing business.
Well, they also screw over the people who hold the UA CCs. I've been at ORD and EWR many times when they had signs up saying that one-day passes are not accepted at specific lounges and redirect people to other lounges. I was glad I had access as a *G during those times.
Old Jan 9, 20, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
I was glad I had access as a *G during those times.
Not me, now a days I prefer to avoid grazing herds.
Old Jan 11, 20, 12:57 am

Programs: Many, but currently grounded.
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Not me, now a days I prefer to avoid grazing herds.
Part of why I tend to patronize Centurion lounges instead.
Old Jan 11, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: United, Delta, American
Yes please post the text
Old Jan 11, 20, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I'm not sure that article comes off very sympathetic to lifetime members.....
That is an understatement!
Read some of the comments. I don’t think this article helped your case at all.

“what a bunch of whiners”
And
Come on Jim, join me in starting a fund to help the victims of these awful purges. I think a full time counselor on an as needed basis. Join me in this effort and I'm certain you would know you've done your best to help these abused first class air travelers.”

Old Jan 12, 20, 10:36 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
I don't think anyone here is saying the change has made us destitute. There are many worse things in the world, but that doesn't excuse the behavior.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:41 am

It's all a matter of perspective and sometimes people can't see the other person's perspective. if they had purchased a membership into something and it was all the sudden restricted in some way they would complain just as we are.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, Halo117 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Reporters choose the quotes!

This is the front page of the Business Section
The article was on the front page of the Houston Chronicle Business Section today, and I understand the points people make about overcrowding due to passes handed out by UA, and criticizing me for not making that point in the story. I did, but it was not used in the story. I also mentioned the threat to cut of Lifetime members from drinks, and CO relenting due to the number of demand letters from lawyers. That too was not included. My thought was, and is that the right thing for UA to do is to grandfather Lifetime members, especially in the wake of AA and DL doing just that. I think keeping the heat on is the right thing to do, and for some of us to come up with the initial solicitation that I can't find, that did promise you can fly on any airline for your lifetime. That was a material inducement and it should be honored, period, IMHO. Last, when someone asserts their rights, I don't think it's fair to say they are whiners. They are simply asserting that UA should honor its word. I still think it will.

Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
It's all a matter of perspective and sometimes people can't see the other person's perspective. if they had purchased a membership into something and it was all the sudden restricted in some way they would complain just as we are.
Re

Search this Thread
Search Engine: