Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 2, 20, 9:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: texd
Wiki Link
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 13, 19, 6:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
Look like you cite the website TOS, not the contract for lifetime members. ....
Has there ever been a separate contract for UA / CO lounge / club life members? (I ask as I don't know)
Old Dec 13, 19, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Has there ever been a separate contract for UA / CO lounge / club life members? (I ask as I don't know)

Had the link been opened from 1998 - where they reserve the right to change terms and conditions - it also says this:

This Agreement shall be deemed to include all other notices, policies, disclaimers, and other terms contained in this Web site; provided, however, that in the event of a conflict between such other terms and the terms of this Agreement, the terms of this Agreement shall control.
Old Dec 15, 19, 12:00 pm

My case is thin

Noticed this thread and would be happy to complain, but they might not take me seriously. My lifetime welcome letter to the Red Carpet Club is dated June 18, 1978. I don't have any further documentation but my recollection is that I paid $235 for it, and it included a free spouse card which my wife still has. Before that, I'd been an annual member for several years at $25/year, and before that I'd been a member of the "Hundred Thousand Mile Club" which was free (before the lawsuit where non-frequent flyers complained that the airlines were discriminating. Solution: charge for memberships). Long retired, we still fly a fair amount for pleasure, but only rarely get (got) to use the clubs. That's because, ironically, our oldest son became a pilot for AA 20 years ago, and we mostly fly on AA passes. What with bigger and bigger airports it has seldom been convenient to use the clubs in all but a few of them where AA and UA are close by.

After paying something like six bucks a year for 41 years, I'd feel a little strange writing to complain. I think our case would be considered a little thin. Still, we'd prefer to continue to use the clubs when we can, so I'll continue to monitor the thread, and would be interested in anybody's ideas about what I might do to help the cause. It's interesting that DL and AA have caved.
Old Dec 15, 19, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by allga View Post
... My lifetime welcome letter to the Red Carpet Club is dated June 18, 1978. ...
If the letter is acknowledging your lifetime membership, what does it say about access?
Anything about access anytime? regardless of flights or carrier?
soartoday likes this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 10:27 am

This is precisely the point where I stumble over this entire question... Whether LT members should be forever granted a different set of entrance rules than someone who pays $500+ every year.
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:42 pm

If the letter is acknowledging your lifetime membership, what does it say about access?
Anything about access anytime? regardless of flights or carrier?
Here's the letter. I'm afraid there are no specifics and I don't have the "directory" that's referenced.
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
This is precisely the point where I stumble over this entire question... Whether LT members should be forever granted a different set of entrance rules than someone who pays $500+ every year.
The better plan would have been to grandfather lifetime members and not make the new rule kick in for annual members until their renewal date. That way, they'd have had the chance to decide whether the annual fee makes any sense given their individual situation, usage pattern, etc. But the best plan of all would have been never to institute the rule at all.

Last edited by allga; Dec 16, 19 at 4:00 pm
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:49 pm

Programs: united
Here's the letter. I'm afraid there are no specifics and I don't have the "directory" that's referenced.
I'd say it's time to go to the airport ticket counter with your lifetime member card and ask to cash a personal check.
iluv2fly, jiburi, lensovet and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:50 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I'd say it's time to go to the airport ticket counter with your lifetime member card and ask to cash a personal check.
I might do that if I still used checks!
Old Dec 16, 19, 4:06 pm

Here's the letter. I'm afraid there are no specifics and I don't have the "directory" that's referenced. ...
Thanks for posting, honestly no one was probably thinking about these issues at the time. UA probably saw no harm in Lifetime members having unlimited access but I doubt CO or UA ever wrote that into the T&Cs or formal literature. May have been mentioned but a written document is probably going to be hard to find.

. ... and not make the new rule kick in for annual members until their renewal date.....
That was effectively done. The website and UCs had posted notices. Additionally, there were email notices, although many trash messages from UA. But the discussion for annual members is Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner

The Lifetime thread. this thread, was separated out as the core issue is different.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 19 at 4:18 pm
Old Dec 16, 19, 4:09 pm

Programs: Many, but currently grounded.
I might do that if I still used checks!
TBH My car mechanic requires checks (and won't take cash) which makes it super hard to pay him!
Old Dec 16, 19, 4:09 pm

Thanks for posting,

That was effectively done. The website and UCs had posted notices. Additionally, there were email notices, although many trash messages from UA. But the discussion for annual members is Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner

The Lifetime thread. this thread, was separated out as the core issue is different.
OK. Apologize. It was a lot to scroll through real quick.
Old Dec 16, 19, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Hi, I'm Frank Abagnale and I'd like to cash a check...
iluv2fly, Zoltar and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 5:13 pm

The better plan would have been to grandfather lifetime members and not make the new rule kick in for annual members until their renewal date. That way, they'd have had the chance to decide whether the annual fee makes any sense given their individual situation, usage pattern, etc. But the best plan of all would have been never to institute the rule at all.
They made the announcement of the change a year ago. Anyone renewing an annual membership would have had the opportunity to be aware of the changes prior to renewing.
Old Dec 16, 19, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I was unable to talk to anyone today. I'll try again tomorrow.

As for terms and conditions, I'm no lawyer but I do know that intent matters.
Any luck?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: