Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by threeoh
With the new rules, you also need to have a UA/*A BP to use a day pass. There is no opportunity to spend $59 if you are denied as a lifetime member.
Yeah - missed that. The Popeye's chicken sandwich I just ate has my brain on vacation. I'm still right about most people would pass on paying $59 unless circumstances warrant it

That's 15 chicken sandwiches.
Mikey and kirkwoodj like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 6, 2019 at 4:08 pm
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:25 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I don't know the answer to this question and don't know if it is buried in this lengthy thread.

If I have access to the club, does my guest also have to have a UA (or *A) boarding pass or can any BP work?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I don't know the answer to this question and don't know if it is buried in this lengthy thread.

If I have access to the club, does my guest also have to have a UA (or *A) boarding pass or can any BP work?
They would also need a UA/*A boarding pass if you have guest access.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:47 am

Denied entry at SEA
United Club
11/7 5:26 AM

Flying Delta on a route that United does not fly

Attendant quoted the policy that you must be flying United but said that the lounge agents disagreed with that policy but it was not their choice. She told me it was to ease overcrowding.

Personally that reason is a pile of dung when it comes to lifetime members. Since I am the first poster to post that a lifetime member has been denied, and it's been almost a week that the policy has been in effect, there obviously aren't very many lifetime members entering the clubs on days when they aren't flying United.
Tanic, Xyzzy, SS255 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Mikey; Nov 7, 2019 at 7:18 am
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:12 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
As someone posted the 2011 terms ----
United reserves the right to restrict, alter or modify the fees, amenities, services, Club hours, locations, reciprocal lounge agreements at any time with or without written notice to our members and customers.

Where does this say access??

Further the terms stated on my card state --
Membership card and valid ID must be presented....

Since the terms have changed, should United be forced to send out new cards to all lifetime members??

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I don't have a dog in this race, but it sounds like the argument is, "Legally, we have no standing, but we think some court should apply judgment and reinstate our privilege..." However, aren't you on the wrong side of the judgment argument? You're asking a company to provide a service, that costs them money, when you're flying a competitor, which essentially hurts them. It just defies common sense.

Again, if you've got a legal path to victory, certainly take it, but if this comes down to judgment, you guys are toast...
You are not an old time flier.. These are Clubs,, Red Carpet, Clipper Club. There was no TSA back then, no security check point. I used to work at the airport (JFK) and go after work. Used to hold up there when meeting VIP visitors... My Delta card dates back to Pan Am in 1980 when I was offered it for $300. They threw in a free domestic ticket which made it zero cost

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 7, 2019 at 9:53 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulMCO
United reserves the right to restrict, alter or modify the fees, amenities, services, Club hours, locations, reciprocal lounge agreements at any time with or without written notice to our members and customers.

Since the terms have changed, should United be forced to send out new cards to all lifetime members??
You left out a T&C term which would appear to be relevant and which more broadly covers changes --

"United reserves the right to amend or modify these terms and conditions at any time with or without written notice to our members and customers."
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:28 am

I know we're all quibbling about words. How many of us are actual attorneys? I don't know.

Let's just get a few more folks that have been denied and consult an attorney.

Unless United decides to do the right thing for lifetime members.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

It doesn't. That's why there are 700 posts on a topic that probably affects far fewer than 700 Flyertalks.

Originally Posted by xliioper
You left out a T&C term which would appear to be relevant and which more broadly covers changes --

"United reserves the right to amend or modify these terms and conditions at any time with or without written notice to our members and customers."
I stand by my argument that when one buys a lifetime membership to any form of club or organization that requires membership for admittance, no retroactive modifications of such terms and conditions would legally (and especially morally) enable the business to deny admittance to a lifetime member who purchased such right for any reason (other than safety and security or violations/breach of the club rules, of course).

A court may disagree, but I don't think that there is any arguing that what United is doing is not morally sound by any stretch of the imagination. I am still hoping that somebody upstairs will recognize that doing the right thing is a fundamental principle of corporate responsibility.

I have spent more time reading and posting in this thread than I ever expect to spend in UC's on non-*A tickets in my lifetime (assuming UA grants the exemption). It's all about the principle.
Tanic and soartoday like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: united

You are not an old time flier.. These are Clubs,, Red Carpet, Clipper Club. There was no TSA back then, no security check point. I used to work at the airport (JFK) and go after work. Used to hold up there when meeting VIP visitors... My Delta card dates back to Pan Am in 1980 when I was offered it for $300. They threw in a free domestic ticket which made it zero cost
The thing is, they got rid of that a few years ago and apparently nobody challenged United (or the other airlines).
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Mikey
I know we're all quibbling about words. How many of us are actual attorneys? I don't know.

Let's just get a few more folks that have been denied and consult an attorney.

Unless United decides to do the right thing for lifetime members.
I'm a lawyer. My view is that you are unlikely to win a contract claim, but someone who was induced to purchase by an actual representation by the airline that you would be able to use this when flying a competitor has a potential fraud claim. I also think the remedy is damages- you won't get an injunction ordering UA to let you use the club.

But I definitely think anyone who feels they are harmed should consult a lawyer for legal advice. I am just opining here.

Originally Posted by SS255
It doesn't. That's why there are 700 posts on a topic that probably affects far fewer than 700 Flyertalks.

I stand by my argument that when one buys a lifetime membership to any form of club or organization that requires membership for admittance, no retroactive modifications of such terms and conditions would legally (and especially morally) enable the business to deny admittance to a lifetime member who purchased such right for any reason (other than safety and security or violations/breach of the club rules, of course).

A court may disagree, but I don't think that there is any arguing that what United is doing is not morally sound by any stretch of the imagination. I am still hoping that somebody upstairs will recognize that doing the right thing is a fundamental principle of corporate responsibility.

I have spent more time reading and posting in this thread than I ever expect to spend in UC's on non-*A tickets in my lifetime (assuming UA grants the exemption). It's all about the principle.
I think UA knows full well this is immoral. They don't care. They see this as people using their lounge while flying a competitor, and they think doing this will force some people to book on United who don't otherwise want to.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 7, 2019 at 11:48 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SS255
….I stand by my argument that when one buys a lifetime membership...
UA would argue that you still have a membership. Yes or no?

"Yes, but..." won't go far. It's not "right", but UA does have a leg to stand on.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I'm a lawyer. My view is that you are unlikely to win a contract claim, but someone who was induced to purchase by an actual representation by the airline that you would be able to use this when flying a competitor has a potential fraud claim. I also think the remedy is damages- you won't get an injunction ordering UA to let you use the club.

But I definitely think anyone who feels they are harmed should consult a lawyer for legal advice. I am just opining here.
I'd imagine if the fraud claim was big enough that the goal would be get UA to honor the passes as sold.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:58 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA would argue that you still have a membership. Yes or no?

"Yes, but..." won't go far. It's not "right", but UA does have a leg to stand on.
Unless I missed one, all the pro-UA arguments here, if accepted by courts, would have allowed united to ban entry for annual members in the middle of their paid term. So: Why did United feel he need to give a year’s advance notice to hem?
Tanic likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Unless I missed one, all the pro-UA arguments here, if accepted by courts, would have allowed united to ban entry for annual members in the middle of their paid term. So: Why did United feel he need to give a year’s advance notice to hem?
Probably tied to Chase Club cards. United is probably free to change terms on memberships it sells at any time but wants to avoid changing terms to memberships provided through Chase via annual card fee during current period. Gives Chase card holders option to renew or not. If Chase wasn't involved, UA might have provided much shorter notice.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 7, 2019 at 12:07 pm
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
So: Why did United feel he need to give a year’s advance notice to hem?
Because the other airlines did so - and takes off the people weren't notified

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.