Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Any successful class-action lawsuit amongst lifetime members will likely be a change for all legacy carriers. DL and AA lifetime members will be monitoring this thread.

Jiburi
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:39 am

maybe it is worth that we call out to lifetime members at AA and DL because they are in the same boat. Class action can be across different airlines not just limited to UA. I am going to fight for this.
I called a firm that has specialized about class actions for airlines and they will absolutely take on that case, since we have a lot of merit on what we are asking for. I hope United makes this right for their members, or this may become a lot more expensive than they thought.

Last edited by libuser; Nov 7, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by libuser
...I called a firm that has specialized about class actions for airlines and they will absolutely take on that case, since we have a lot of merit on what we are asking for. I hope United makes this right for their members, or this may become a lot more expensive than they thought.

Of course they will, as long as you pay them.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Of course they will, as long as you pay them.
well i inquired about pro bono and they said that they would have to look more closely into T&C but totally doable. Im sure there will be someone that will take this on pro bono. This is clear breach in terms even if they can do that by T&C. Many people will be wronged.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well i inquired about pro bono and they said that they would have to look more closely into T&C but totally doable....
Pro bono - seriously? I didn't know Lifetime Club members were charity cases. You must believe everything a phone UA agent tells you, too
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
well i inquired about pro bono and they said that they would have to look more closely into T&C but totally doable. Im sure there will be someone that will take this on pro bono. This is clear breach in terms even if they can do that by T&C. Many people will be wronged.
The bolded statement is in conflict with each other.....

My opinion, any law firm worth anything - would already look at the infamous million miler case against UA which has established precedent on "lifetime" not just for UA, but the other other airlines - and in my opinion, that case had far more merit. Lifetime terms just aren't lifetime......

Anyway, the DL lifers should sue first since their policy comes into affect Jan 1......

I really doubt the older T&C's did not have the following that exists today:
  • United reserves the right to modify pricing, benefits, services, hours, club locations and reciprocal lounge agreements at any time with or without written notice to its members and customers.

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Nov 7, 2018 at 12:40 pm
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
What moves the needle is publicity. Lifers need to fill inboxes at the top 100 airline blogs and websites. Buzz factor beats all.

Corporate reacts like cats to a laser pointer.
Like the lifetime million miler case? So many people thought they would blink or certain United wouldn't pay the lawyers or deal with the publicity and cave, they didn't just not blink or care about the publicity, they prevailed on the entire lawsuit.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Like the lifetime million miler case? So many people thought they would blink or certain United wouldn't pay the lawyers or deal with the publicity and cave, they didn't just not blink or care about the publicity, they prevailed on the entire lawsuit.
Maybe they should say, “Don’t rely on anything we say" at the top of every page. Market forces tend not to approve of fraudulent promises. Explicit or implied. And reversals happen.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Pro bono - seriously? I didn't know Lifetime Club members were charity cases.
pro bono publico = for the public good

I tend to agree, this doesn't sound like a pro bono matter. In fact, I suspect it would be difficult to find a good plaintiffs' lawyer to take it on a contingency. These kinds of cases against airlines have not fared well.

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Maybe they should say, “Don’t rely on anything we say" at the top of every page. Market forces tend not to approve of fraudulent promises. Explicit or implied. And reversals happen.
Nah, they can bury the right to change the rules at any time in the T&Cs and that's legally effective. Ask the million mile class members.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
pro bono publico = for the public good

I tend to agree, this doesn't sound like a pro bono matter. In fact, I suspect it would be difficult to find a good plaintiffs' lawyer to take it on a contingency...
Yeah - very limited in scope and hardly a potential damages windfall. Potential plaintiffs will be paying to see this through if they want to.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Sent email got the following response...I'm sorry that you're disappointed in the change. Please keep in mind it doesn't go into effect until November 2019. More details will be announced as that time gets closer.

still no response to my question about involuntary reroutes on non *A flights

At what point would restrictions violate the t's and c's? Could UA restrict lifetime access to tuesday mornings every month with a blue moon and still be in the right?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Halo117

Could UA restrict lifetime access to tuesday mornings every month with a blue moon and still be in the right?
Making a T&C specific only to lifetime UC club holders would probably open the door to litigation that could be won.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I just talked to United Club folks and have been informed that the Lifetime Members will be exempt from the new policy that requires that one flies UA.
Agents always have some discretion about whom to allow into clubs. Would not be surprised if there was no written policy change, but that agents were allowed (but not necessarily encouraged) to admit life members not flying United.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Agents always have some discretion about whom to allow into clubs. Would not be surprised if there was no written policy change, but that agents were allowed (but not necessarily encouraged) to admit life members not flying United.
And a crafty, motivated, agent can always find workarounds that may not necessarily be policy compliant -- two of the most obvious would be admitting someone as the "guest" of a prior scan in, to just hitting the manual door release [in clubs where the gatekeeper is outside of the club proper [may be pmCO clubs only?] and waiving someone in (although too many of these would screw with the club's metrics which drive staffing levels, so it runs counter to the agent's interest). Heck, some of the clubs are arranged such that an agent legitimately may not notice someone 'slipping in'.

IMO, though, workarounds/breakarounds are beyond a last resort -- the policy should be "fixed" first (and admittedly I have maybe 3 trips a year where this policy change would truly affect me, and two of those I could use the original UA boarding pass (before getting bumped to an OAL) if I had to -- but for a paid membership it annoys me.

Out of curiosity, do lifetime UC membership cards differ in some way from the "standard" UC card such that if this exception is in place an agent could distinguish a lifetime membership (sans UA BP) from a standard membership without having to manually dig into the MP profile?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc

Out of curiosity, do lifetime UC membership cards differ in some way from the "standard" UC card such that if this exception is in place an agent could distinguish a lifetime membership (sans UA BP) from a standard membership without having to manually dig into the MP profile?
My digital card (on the APP) has "Valid through Dec 31, 2099" -- likely past my lifetime. Maybe UA's as well.

The physical card says "Lifetime member."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.