Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
She suggested, although didn't promise, that exceptions to the policy may be made to Global Service United Club members.
Originally Posted by Mikey
If the exception made is only for global service folks that is downright rotten of United.
This whole policy change is downright rotten to lifetime members of United club.
If AA and Delta can see that, and issue an exception for lifetime members, why doesn't United?
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Pathetic that UA is considering only making exceptions for GS. Talk about what have you done for me lately!
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8

Any source that they're considering GS?
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I
Was the exception for GS with an annual paid membership or you must hold both GS and a grandfathered Lifetime membership, if the latter there can't be many of those around...
Many lifetime GS are probably lifetime UC members.
I have a theory of how GS was brought in as a possible consideration factor. For other airlines (AA for sure), the equivalent GS get free lounge access. UA does not grant GS free UC admission. So there have been complaints from GS that they should get free UC access. Perhaps UA is now thinking to grant exception for GS UC members as a kind of special privilege in this area (lounge access)?

This is my pure speculation. I absolutely want lifetime UC members get the exceptions regardless of status.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:46 am

I received a reply from a person in the DOT Consumer Protection Division. Everybody keep writing to United and filing complaints (https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm) :

Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 4:16:22 AM
To:
Cc:
Subject:

This responds to your communication regarding the airline issue. The U.S. Department of Transportation seeks to ensure that all airline passengers are treated fairly. Complaints from consumers are helpful to us in determining whether airlines are in compliance with our rules and to track trends or spot areas of concern that warrant further action.

We will forward your complaint to the airline and will ask the company to respond directly to you. Airlines are required to acknowledge receipt of a consumer complaint within 30 days and provide a substantive response to the complainant within 60 days. If you have not received a reply within this time frame please let us know. If you need to contact our analyst assigned to your case, you may leave a telephone message on our Aviation Consumer line, 202-366-2220, or send an email to XXX. Please include your name and case number.

We have also entered your complaint in our computerized industry monitoring system, and it will be counted among the number of complaints filed against this airline in our monthly Air Travel Consumer Report. This report allows consumers and air travel companies to compare the complaint records of individual airlines and tour operators. The data in this report also serve as a basis for rule-making, legislation and research. Consumer information for air travelers, including the Air Travel Consumer Report and our pamphlet Fly-Rights, a Consumer's Guide to Air Travel, can be found on our website, https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer. Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

XXX XXX
Senior Aviation Industry Analyst
Aviation Consumer Protection Division
Office of the General Counsel/Office of the Secretary
U.S. Department of Transportation
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:31 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Who will be the first lifetime member to be refused entry tomorrow?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
In addition to ctownflyer's post a couple of weeks ago, Matthew Klint just blogged about this today. Thanks for getting the word out and increasing pressure!

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....-restrictions/

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...king-low-road/
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by soartoday
In addition to ctownflyer's post a couple of weeks ago, Matthew Klint just blogged about this today. Thanks for getting the word out and increasing pressure!

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....-restrictions/

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...king-low-road/
You can also like and Retweet our Twitter posts as well as add in your own commentary for United to read:

And of course email United and file complaints with the DoT.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:20 pm

Excellent! Keep it up!

What other media can we get to help us?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million, AA EXP, Marriott TITANIUM
United will just email you back sorry, not sorry.
File a DoT complaint too.
Ctownflyer, do you have a draft of what you sent to DOT that could be modified? As you projected, heard from Executive Services:

Your message was received in Mr. Munoz's office and I was asked to respond on his behalf.

We have received mixed feedback with the change of the acceptance to the United Club beginning November 1, 2019 and regret your disappointment. As a Premier 1K, a nearly 2MM flyer and United Club Lifetime membership holders your loyalty to United is clear and regret that the policy change was not in your favor.

As we continue to make investments to enhance our club experience, we want to ensure that the our members, and customers, who choose to fly us have a positive experience. Allowing access to only those who fly on United or a Star Alliance partner operated flight means we can continue to create a better product experience for those who fly with us.

We value your feedback and will ensure that it is forwarded to the appropriate department for review. Although we cannot promise any immediate changes, we do hope that we will be able to find ways to please all of out different types of members.

Flyguy777, thank you again for being a true United flyer and we look forward to serving you again.

Regards,

xxxx xxxxx
Executive Services, United Airlines
Corporate Customer Care

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 3, 2019 at 12:20 am Reason: removed non-exec employee name
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:57 pm

I have a receipt in my email for the purchase, but there are no terms.

I've emailed GS CS, United Club CS, and Oscar. I'm sure they'll say too bad, but let's see where this goes
Dan, what was the subject or content of your email receipt? I've been searching for my email confirmation using the price I paid, but I haven't found it.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by flyguy777
Ctownflyer, do you have a draft of what you sent to DOT that could be modified? As you projected, heard from Executive Services:

Your message was received in Mr. Munoz's office and I was asked to respond on his behalf.

We have received mixed feedback with the change of the acceptance to the United Club beginning November 1, 2019 and regret your disappointment. As a Premier 1K, a nearly 2MM flyer and United Club Lifetime membership holders your loyalty to United is clear and regret that the policy change was not in your favor.

As we continue to make investments to enhance our club experience, we want to ensure that the our members, and customers, who choose to fly us have a positive experience. Allowing access to only those who fly on United or a Star Alliance partner operated flight means we can continue to create a better product experience for those who fly with us.

We value your feedback and will ensure that it is forwarded to the appropriate department for review. Although we cannot promise any immediate changes, we do hope that we will be able to find ways to please all of out different types of members.

Flyguy777, thank you again for being a true United flyer and we look forward to serving you again.

Regards,

xxxx xxxxx
Executive Services, United Airlines
Corporate Customer Care
I'm not waiting any longer. We need to get this fixed ASAP.

Join me in complaining to the DoT tomorrow about United's egregious behavior: https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm

Be sure to let them know:
-When you purchased your membership
-How much you paid for your membership.
-The promise at the time that Lifetime members would have access to airport clubs at any time, even when not flying. There was no requirement to also buy an additional service, this was a membership for unrestricted lifetime club access.
-The fact that United is adding a ticket purchase requirement onto lifetime memberships that they sold. Requiring an additional purchase is a material breach of what United/Continental sold.
-The response you received from United with regards to no exceptions being made for lifetime members.
-The fact that annual club members can choose not to renew, but as lifetime members we already prepaid for the privilege that is being taken away from us.
-The fact that AA and DL have both made exceptions for their own lifetime members.
-That you request their help in asking United to honor the lifetime club memberships as they were sold, without an additional purchase requirement to gain access.

Anything I'm missing?
Dan, what was the subject or content of your email receipt? I've been searching for my email confirmation using the price I paid, but I haven't found it.
Presidents Club Membership Confirmation
[email protected]

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 3, 2019 at 12:19 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member; removed non-exec employee name
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:10 pm

I just submitted my DOT complaint as well.

Here's what I wrote. Should've included Dan's point about the requirement for additional purchase.

On xxx xx, xxxx, I purchased a Lifetime membership for "Presidents Club" from United Airlines' predecessor Continental Airlines for $xxxx. This later became "United Club." Recently, United Airlines announced that their United Club membership benefits will exclude United Club "customers" including lifetime members when they are not flying same-day with a United partner. I purchased my lifetime membership with the knowledge that I would sometimes be accessing the lounges where I live without being on a United Airlines flight that day. This removal of access changes the service I paid for in xxxx. I wrote United Airlines asking for a refund or partial refund of my membership cost, which the company denied.

I'm not waiting any longer. We need to get this fixed ASAP.

Join me in complaining to the DoT tomorrow about United's egregious behavior: https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm

Be sure to let them know:
-When you purchased your membership
-How much you paid for your membership.
-The promise at the time that Lifetime members would have access to airport clubs at any time, even when not flying. There was no requirement to also buy an additional service, this was a membership for unrestricted lifetime club access.
-The fact that United is adding a ticket purchase requirement onto lifetime memberships that they sold. Requiring an additional purchase is a material breach of what United/Continental sold.
-The response you received from United with regards to no exceptions being made for lifetime members.
-The fact that annual club members can choose not to renew, but as lifetime members we already prepaid for the privilege that is being taken away from us.
-The fact that AA and DL have both made exceptions for their own lifetime members.
-That you request their help in asking United to honor the lifetime club memberships as they were sold, without an additional purchase requirement to gain access.

Anything I'm missing?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:13 pm

I just submitted my DOT complaint as well.

Here's what I wrote. Should've included Dan's point about the requirement for additional purchase.
Submit it again with it. That's the crux of the argument I think.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Presidents Club Membership Confirmation
[email protected]
Thanks - I'm going to look for mine too... I knw it's in my email somewhere...
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL GM
Red Carpet Club membership documents

If anyone has a copy of either (1) their application for a lifetime membership to the Red Carpet Club, or (2) the membership terms and conditions (or house rules) for the Red Carpet Club from 2002 or earlier, please contact me privately. Thank you.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by BAplntf
If anyone has a copy of either (1) their application for a lifetime membership to the Red Carpet Club, or (2) the membership terms and conditions (or house rules) for the Red Carpet Club from 2002 or earlier, please contact me privately. Thank you.
You can try the old UA and CO websites via the wayback machine. Lets you view old iterations of virtually all websites.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
From Continental, circa 1998 - where I clicked legal where you could buy a lifetime membership

https://web.archive.org/web/19981206...com/legal.html

Modification Of These Terms And Conditions

Continental reserves the right to change this Agreement at any time by revising the terms and conditions herein. User is responsible for regularly reviewing these terms and conditions. Continued use of this Web site following any such changes shall constitute the User’s acceptance of such changes.

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Oct 31, 2019 at 3:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.