Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thanks fr the reminder!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Just got a call from Oscar's office.

They have heard from some lifetime members, but for now they have no plans to make a lifetime exemption, but they are looking into AA's decision to allow lifetime members to access clubs when not flying AA.

Keep sending in your letters and maybe they'll reconsider!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Just got a call from Oscar's office.

They have heard from some lifetime members, but for now they have no plans to make a lifetime exemption, but they are looking into AA's decision to allow lifetime members to access clubs when not flying AA.

Keep sending in your letters and maybe they'll reconsider!
They heard from me again today.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:40 pm

I just emailed again as well.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Me t
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:36 pm

Come on United do the right thing make the exception!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:00 pm
Suspended

They will change. UA always follows suit....eventually
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
They will change. UA always follows suit....eventually
Only when they’re changes we don’t like.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
"Americans will always do the right thing, only after they have tried everything else." -Winston Churchill

Hope United follows American...and Delta by doing right after everything else.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:49 pm

I'm sure there is a UA lurker out there somewhere.

Come on UA do the right thing! Make the exception!
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
I received a dagger of a reply. Did anyone else get something this hopeless?

I apologize we won't be able to honor your request in regards to access to our United Clubs. I realize how disappointing this may be however; we will not be making an exception for our Lifetime members for this policy.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by soartoday
At least you got an honest reply. Multiple "lifetime" lawsuits that have been lost - and the latest Q3 results and upping guidance for 2020 didn't help.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by soartoday
That's depressing.

Just out of curiosity: DL and AA made the same policy change, but then both of those reversed it for LT members by adding an exception. UA stands alone now in not allowing LT members UC access without same day UA BP?

UA really seems to be on some kind of "lets-see-how-many-customers-we-can-alienate" trip these days....
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by narvik
That's depressing.

Just out of curiosity: DL and AA made the same policy change, but then both of those reversed it for LT members by adding an exception. UA stands alone now in not allowing LT members UC access without same day UA BP?

UA really seems to be on some kind of "lets-see-how-many-customers-we-can-alienate" trip these days....
Yes. DL started it, and AA/UA followed. Now DL and AA have exceptions for lifetime, but UA stands alone.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by narvik
That's depressing.

Except that this decision is bordering on consumer fraud. Changing the rules for current and future business (UC memberships or the Mileage Plus program) is acceptable (even if we don't like the rules). Changing it retroactively for an already-purchased product is not consumer-friendly. I'm no lawyer, so I can't say if the law sees it as fraudulent. But it certainly gives the appearance of being fraudulent. DL and (finally) AA have realized that, and have made the appropriate business decision.

"Ruthless" is the best word that I can think of to describe the conscious decision to {redacted} out of something we've already paid for. And - quite frankly - I'm a bit shocked* that they would stoop this low, knowing now that AA has reversed course.

*I know I shouldn't be shocked, but we did pay for anytime access for our own lifetime, or the lifetime of the United Club.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 17, 2019 at 12:48 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.