Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:38 pm

1. There is no overcrowding problem at my home club
2. There really isn't going to be much difference in club crowdedness by granting an exception for lifetime members

3. The number of lifetime members are going down every year

United is creating a problem when there is not one present.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Well, yes and no. Previously if you flew 2MM BIS miles, you got the lifetime membership. Okay, they don't want those of us who earned this lifetime benefit from using the club when on another airline. I get it. But if that's the case, UA should have said 30 years ago, the club is only for the use of those who are on UA flights, period. Of course, they never said this and people flew 2MM thinking that it would be honored for a lifetime.

And as been mentioned before, we're not talking about hundred of thousands of lifetime members. And every year, this number goes down since mortality has a way of thinning the herd.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:07 am

I bought my lifetime membership. And I'm feeling totally screwed over by United.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It's not like they are losing any business from you if you are flying other airlines and accessing the club - I have a lifetime membership from 2MM when they had that benefit and it never occurred to me to use the club using another airline until I read this thread. They philosophically don't want people in the club who aren't flying United - I think that makes sense.
It does not make sense to me and those who paid the lifetime membership with hard cash, at least a couple of thousand dollars of 1990 money. It also is in violation of the deal when they motivated me with using the RCC at HKG when I do not fly UA. (See my post #436 )
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
It does not make sense to me and those who paid the lifetime membership with hard cash, at least a couple of thousand dollars of 1990 money. It also is in violation of the deal when they motivated me with using the RCC at HKG when I do not fly UA. (See my post #436 )
I've torn my place apart trying to find the letter that accompanied my lifetime membership card, to no avail. There is a "gentleman's agreement" implicit with buying a lifetime membership for anything that "You pay me many, many times the annual fee for X, and you are protected from price increases and devaluations in the future. If you die, become incapacitated, or are otherwise unable to derive the full value of your lifetime membership, we keep your money and you/your heirs are ineligible for any form of reimbursement." United should do the right thing and honor the access terms which were in place at the time we decided to fork over a huge chunk of change.

Last edited by SS255; Jul 31, 2019 at 3:23 pm
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
This is a classic: we made a deal, you don't want to honor the deal, type of thing. Fundamentally for most of us this is a liability from Continental that the merged airline wants to abrogate.

Sure, I'd love to have a credit card I never had to pay back either. This situation is all about an enterprise not wanting to make good on a liability and trying to hurt some of its most loyal customers through fraud because it is bigger than any of us.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
I bought my LT President's Club membership in 1987 as an upgrade to an annual membership. the total cost was $900. Having gone through multiple bankruptcies where they could have had the court declare my membership to be over, I am grateful that it continues.
In my flying career I have only used this feature twice and those were pre-merger.
I have a Priority Pass through a CC and expect that if I need to visit a lounge when flying another airline a PP lounge is more likely to be available than a UC anyway.
To me, this change is small stuff and while I would prefer to keep this feature available, I expect I will be able to work around it.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA AA WN DL BA LH
Originally Posted by Mikey
I bought my lifetime membership. And I'm feeling totally screwed over by United.
You are exactly correct in feeling screwed over and United has made it clear in their responses that they really don't care.
The only reasonable response is to avoid flying United whenever possible.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:34 pm

It's now September and nothing from UA.

They have announced that folks don't have to fly the MAX if they don't want to. That is a good decision.

Now it's time for the good decision on the United Club - Make an exception for lifetime members!
Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:22 pm

Some of the people in the neighborhood where I live have agreed to switch their flying from United to a different airline if I tell them there is no exception for lifetime members. Of course this will only work because out of my home airport there are plenty of other choices.

If this is just a numbers game, because of this United's going to lose more money than they would have spent on me. They're going to lose these particular Friends business and some work associates business -all because they didn't want to give me maybe a hundred bucks worth of stuff at the club every year.

Brilliant.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:38 pm

Has anyone heard anything lately? I'm hoping United comes to their senses. I feel totally screwed over by this decision.

I just made another trip to a destination United won't fly to. They're punishing me for not using them when they don't offer service.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
I found my file from joining CO President's Club lifetime in 1998. What I have is a brochure where you fill out your info and send it in, I have my form completed and a copy of my cashier's check. The form doesn't have per se detailed terms and conditions, but it has some non-legalese language on it. In pertinent part, it says: "[about 1-3 year memberships]...or join President's Club for all your future travels with the President's Club lifetime membership". Importantly, it doesn't seem to say "Continental travels", and of course, this wasn't in fact how it was enforced.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Gary Leff posted that AA is now reconsidering this policy for lifetime. If they copy Delta, that would make United the outlier.

https://viewfromthewing.com/american...ub-commitment/
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:58 am

Come on United do the right thing and take care of your lifetime members like you said you were going to.

As I've stated before this is a self-correcting problem. The number of lifetime memberships goes down as time goes on. The problem will solve itself eventually.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Mikey
Come on United do the right thing and take care of your lifetime members like you said you were going to.

As I've stated before this is a self-correcting problem. The number of lifetime memberships goes down as time goes on. The problem will solve itself eventually.
You are right, but even if the number stays the same it is not much a problem for UA. It cannot be more than a very small percentage of the total membership..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.