Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
IMH it's really not too much to ask. I hardly ever end up needing to enter when flying on another airline -- but when I am I don't think it's unreasonable for me to expect to be granted access. They've had my money for a while.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
IMH it's really not too much to ask. I hardly ever end up needing to enter when flying on another airline -- but when I am I don't think it's unreasonable for me to expect to be granted access. They've had my money for a while.
From my perspective there are two different communities: people who paid for access after the restriction announcement, and people before. For the people who paid to be able to access the lounges whenever, not limited to legacy lifetime members, United should live up to its end of the bargain. For people who renewed, or signed-up, after the announcement United is not being classy but you fundamentally made the choice to renew.

While an interested party, I'm not the judge and jury. I think that this may take some time to play out, but that it will be hard for front line employees to turn club members away. I also think that the public relations optics to this are at play too...and that UA is more likely to budge than AA. After all most lifetime United Club members were acquired after its merger with Continental, and many CO LT members bought after the bankruptcies.

Remember: from an accounting perspective a lifetime membership is a deferred liability; I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that CH 11 can be used to reduce liabilities, so there might be different outcomes for pre-bankruptcy vs post UA customers and the same for CO. Also remember...everything we say here is discoverable and there is an unfortunately good chance this will all end up in court some day.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
From my perspective there are two different communities: people who paid for access after the restriction announcement, and people before. For the people who paid to be able to access the lounges whenever, not limited to legacy lifetime members, United should live up to its end of the bargain. For people who renewed, or signed-up, after the announcement United is not being classy but you fundamentally made the choice to renew. ....
As UA gave a year's notice, all annual purchasers would be in the second group. So it is only the Lifetime folks that met your criteria.

It has been greater than 5 years since anything other than an annual subscription has been offered.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
but that it will be hard for front line employees to turn club members away.
It isn't going to be hard. When you scan your BP, if it isn't same day UA - the machine will beep and the agent will deny entry.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:04 pm

As I have said before, and have also relayed to United, this is a self-correcting problem. They have not sold lifetime membership in years, so the number of us who hold lifetime memberships goes down every year. They don't have to do anything at all and eventually they will be no more lifetime members going to the clubs.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:04 am

All the lifetime members are terribly affected by this awful change. Corporate greed at its worst.

the club in my home airport is never incredibly crowded, so so why implement this change here? if overcrowding is the problem, stop giving out memberships with your credit card. if you sell more memberships than you have space for that's not the lifetime members problem. It's a management problem.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by Mikey
All the lifetime members are terribly affected by this awful change. Corporate greed at its worst.

the club in my home airport is never incredibly crowded, so so why implement this change here? if overcrowding is the problem, stop giving out memberships with your credit card. if you sell more memberships than you have space for that's not the lifetime members problem. It's a management problem.
The number of lifetime members entering the club with a non-UA boarding pass has got to be minimal. Fixing this really is a nn problem (ETA) for United. It is an issue of their own making. They could, and should, easily correct it.

Regarding CC memberships, UA makes a TON of money there. It's cheaper for customers and more beneficial to UA to combine credit card signup and membership.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jul 29, 2019 at 10:55 am
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:27 am

you say fixing this is a non problem. As a lifetime member who is being screwed over by this change I consider it a terrible thing that they're doing.

in my mind what they're doing is trying to fix a problem when they have no problem with lifetime members.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
As a lifetime member who is being screwed over by this change I consider it a terrible thing that they're doing.
It's not like they are losing any business from you if you are flying other airlines and accessing the club - I have a lifetime membership from 2MM when they had that benefit and it never occurred to me to use the club using another airline until I read this thread. They philosophically don't want people in the club who aren't flying United - I think that makes sense.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
you say fixing this is a non problem. As a lifetime member who is being screwed over by this change I consider it a terrible thing that they're doing.

in my mind what they're doing is trying to fix a problem when they have no problem with lifetime members.
I think what he meant by "non problem" was that it would be "no problem" for them to fix this and allow an exception for life members. At least that's how I read and understood it.

I'm betting that in the twelfth hour on 31 Oct UA will come out with an exception for life members.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:14 am

I may have misunderstood his intent.
okay I understand that United wants us to fly United. But they don't always go where I want to go and it's not always convenient and sometimes a lot more expensive.

Give me viable alternatives to fly United and I will do so.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry - I meant it is a nn problem for UNITED - they could easily wave their magic rule book and cover us (I, too, am a lifetime member). I will fix my post above to clarify this.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It's not like they are losing any business from you if you are flying other airlines and accessing the club - I have a lifetime membership from 2MM when they had that benefit and it never occurred to me to use the club using another airline until I read this thread. They philosophically don't want people in the club who aren't flying United - I think that makes sense.
As someone who paid for a lifetime membership, use of the club whenever I wished to do so (whether flying United or nt) was most certainly a benefit that I both expected and enjoyed as part of my purchase.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 29, 2019 at 2:20 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:59 am

I can't imagine it would even make much difference at all in club crowds if they Grant these exceptions to lifetime members.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:06 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by gmt4
I'm betting that in the twelfth hour on 31 Oct UA will come out with an exception for life members.
I'm betting not. They have been asked many times to reconsider. DOT complaints didn't budge them. By now most lifetime members have seen United's disdain for them. United does not have much more to lose unless a PR storm develops in November. Their lawyers must believe that they can crush our lawyers. Given the scams that airlines have gotten away with, I'd bet on their lawyers too.

Continental and United were very, very good to me over the years. I hate being betrayed by a friend.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
So not holding a LT membership I asked my ex business partner who does to get his take on all of this. While he wasn't happy about it but he said he is still pretty hooked to UA for his travel needs and only was rarely using when flying other carriers. Also as his hub is SFO he said it is VERY inconvenient to use the UCs there when flying really anything but UA. As a life long UC member myself (not LT) I use the UC only rarely as well. I was using the PHX club occasionally when I had a delay with other carriers often WN. But I agree it is still a further eroding of already minimal benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.