Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pseudo rant about UA at Newark

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Is UA responsible for how many GE kiosks there are? I would think CPB is. LAX may need to make sure CPB knows how many international pax are arriving every day.
This whole thread is full of items UA can't do a thing about and/or has no control over.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
This often happens when you arrive internationally and have a connecting flight on the same itinerary. I've seen it happen with UA, AC and other * airlines. The key thing is once you are land-side go to the check in agent and have them reprint your boarding pass with your KTN inputted. Nine times out of 10 the TSA PRE mark re-appears on the boarding pass.
Interesting. The UA agents at the Premier check-in counter at terminal C were useless. Phone agent was more capable.

It should also be noted that pre-check is not a guarantee if you have Global Entry and/or TSA Pre. The TSA will randomly not put PRE on the boarding pass. Remember the TSA is all about randomizing the screening process so that it is difficult for the bad guys to figure out how their screening process works! As a Global Entry member I just recently got the lovely SSSS on my boarding pass and can now understand when people say the TSA works in mysterious ways!
Yes. I had the lovely SSSS also but only saw it because I couldn't get the mobile boarding pass loaded on my phone. Phone agent said, somehow, the traveller number was missing a number for the back half of my itinerary. But after the phone agent fixed my traveller number, I was able to get the boarding pass on my phone. No more SSSS.

Otherwise, I've set land-speed records at EWR. 15 minutes flat. Off international flight. Through I&C. Airport shuttle train to another terminal. Through security. And at the next gate. Having no check-in bags was probably the key to that land-speed record. The other key is being able to do some stair-climbing. The lines for the escalators are always 100x longer than the lines for the stairs. If an escalator is not working, foot traffic at an airport always seems to crash to a halt these days. That's not a UA phenomenon either. I have to pinch myself to believe that airports didn't have jetbridges not too long ago!

I did actually like the EWR security line dragon. Need those in other airports.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by gold23
A couple of comments... Security in EWR C has improved drastically in the last year or two, soon to be even better with Clear. But A terminal remains an unmitigated disaster. It's brutal probably 20-30% of the time. I'm there at least once a week. There are ALWAYS TSA members standing in the pre-check lane, and I'd say its open less than 25% of the time. When closed (while paying employees to stand there aimlessly with shoulder shrugs when asked why they're not open), the regular line is often 10-30 minutes long. It is also claustrophobic for many, as you're squeezed in a single file line with a wall to your right.

As for food, outside security is generally useless- especially when you have long clearance times. The ONE saving grace for terminal A is that the UA club is somewhat decent and rarely crowded.
There’s a second savings grace for EWR Terminal A: they’re tearing it down soon.

I don’t get James’s rant about Terminal A. He’s complaining about something which is being replaced. Does he think the new T1 will open a day sooner if he yells louder?

BTW, there is a restaurant inside security next to UA’s A gates.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I don’t get James’s rant about Terminal A. He’s complaining about something which is being replaced. Does he think the new T1 will open a day sooner if he yells louder?
That's not the point I'm making. The point I'm making is that now that UA more or less owns the airport (we can always quibble about Port Authority nonsense but this is more or less the truth), they should try and do what they can to make it passenger friendly. Tearing down Terminal A won't by itself solve the problem. The new terminal must be able to address the shortcomings we've seen in Terminal A (i.e. awful security, lack of airside connections, etc.) At the same time, in the absence of the Terminal A, additional stress will be placed on the airport. Flights will need to move to other terminals (i.e. Terminal B) further exacerbating the ongoing grievances there.

That being said, I have noticed a marked improvement in Terminal C over the past couple of years flying through it (aside from the ongoing mess that is the United Club).

BTW, there is a restaurant inside security next to UA’s A gates.
Yes and it's not a very good one. Certainly if my regional to YYZ got delayed I'd want something more substantial than something I normally get from my local Tesco for a £3.50 as part of a meal deal.

-James
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
... now that UA more or less owns the airport (we can always quibble about Port Authority nonsense but this is more or less the truth), they should try and do what they can to make it passenger friendly.
When, exactly, did UA supposedly take ownership of EWR? Was it owned by CO before the merger?

They are a very important tenant, but that's about it.
iluv2fly and writerguyfl like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
At the same time, in the absence of the Terminal A, additional stress will be placed on the airport. Flights will need to move to other terminals (i.e. Terminal B) further exacerbating the ongoing grievances there.
Move UA to Terminal B? The carrier has no operations there other than INTL arrivals. Not going to happen unless there is a huge realignment of carriers.

Contrary to your misconception, EWR =/= UA. Maybe learn a thing or two about PANY/NJ?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA MM
That's not the point I'm making. The point I'm making is that now that UA more or less owns the airport (we can always quibble about Port Authority nonsense but this is more or less the truth), they should try and do what they can to make it passenger friendly. Tearing down Terminal A won't by itself solve the problem. The new terminal must be able to address the shortcomings we've seen in Terminal A (i.e. awful security, lack of airside connections, etc.) At the same time, in the absence of the Terminal A, additional stress will be placed on the airport. Flights will need to move to other terminals (i.e. Terminal B) further exacerbating the ongoing grievances there.

That being said, I have noticed a marked improvement in Terminal C over the past couple of years flying through it (aside from the ongoing mess that is the United Club).

Yes and it's not a very good one. Certainly if my regional to YYZ got delayed I'd want something more substantial than something I normally get from my local Tesco for a £3.50 as part of a meal deal.

-James
I believe you have this all wrong. Terminal One, at least part of it, will open before Terminal A is torn down. No doubt UA and the PANY/NJ have a plan to handle all of the operations through the transitions. And do you really think they're going to make a huge mess of security at Terminal One?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:09 pm

And do you really think they're going to make a huge mess of security at Terminal One?
Given the Port Authority is managing this process anything is possible! I hope I’m wrong and made to look like a fool in the end but I have my reservations on this one. Can you name a single airport that has a terminal torn down and rebuilt with the end result being far better than what replaced it?

At this point I’m hoping EWR will one day rival Kai Tak

-James
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
I just barely survived a nightmare at EWR on Saturday. Arrived on flight from HKG. Got through immigration & customs quite quickly thanks to GE. The nightmare began with PreCheck disappearing from my UA boarding pass and looking at an hour long wait through the normal security line at terminal C to catch my connecting flight. While standing in line, I finally got through to UA phone agent who fixed my GE status on my UA account and re-issued my boarding pass with PreCheck. Very unpleasant experience where it is so noisy in that line, that trying to talk to the UA phone agent was nearly impossible. Jumped out of the regular line and got through the PreCheck line in just a few minutes. Barely caught my connecting flight.

Same thing happened to me in ORD this afternoon. After I cleared immigration, I noticed that I didn't have PreCheck on my BP. So I went to the service desk behind where you re-check your bags and the agent tried re-entering my TTN twice and it still wouldn't work. Finally, he got a supervisor to look at it and they got it fixed. They gave me some weird story about the check-in agent in Germany misspelling my name-that doesn't make sense does it-I thought it was automatically populated from your profile? Anyway, they got me a new BP and the PreCheck line in Terminal 1 was nice and short.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:24 pm

Given the Port Authority is managing this process anything is possible! I hope I’m wrong and made to look like a fool in the end but I have my reservations on this one. Can you name a single airport that has a terminal torn down and rebuilt with the end result being far better than what replaced it?
YYZ tore down the old Terminal 1 and replaced it with a much better Terminal 1. I don't think anyone would question that statement.

At EWR, you can see where they are, right now, building the Terminal One, which will replace Terminal A. Terminal A will close after One opens. And everything in One will be connected airside. See https://www.ewrredevelopment.com/ for details.

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; Nov 4, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
When, exactly, did UA supposedly take ownership of EWR? Was it owned by CO before the merger?

They are a very important tenant, but that's about it.
Exactly right. Clearly the OP is not from the NY/NJ area, or he’d understand that the Port Authority answers to - and cares about - nobody but itself.

Any and all complaints about Terminal A, valid as they might be, are a moot point as it’s being replaced. I wouldn’t put one dime into A if I were UA. Waste of time, effort and money.

The only valid point I see are the lounge complaints. They’re bad at Terminal C. Thing is, I believe that to be a PANYNJ caused issue, not a United one. The Polaris lounge - and all the other renovated lounges - show us that UA knows *how* to build a good one. The most reasonable explanation is games with the PANYNJ. Anyone that’s ever had to do business with them would understand what I mean.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Any and all complaints about Terminal A, valid as they might be, are a moot point as it’s being replaced. I wouldn’t put one dime into A if I were UA. Waste of time, effort and money.
Yet UAL did. About three years ago they renovated the UAX arm of the A Terminal as well as a complete gut and rebuild of that terminal's United Club. They spent all that money knowing that the terminal was likely going to be replaced in the not too distant future.
narvik and dmurphynj like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Ironically, my best experiences in EWR have specifically been in UA's Terminal C.

Without spending millions of dollars, and unnecessarily so, Terminal A is built in a way that cannot allow airside connections between concourses. And it's being torn down. Terminal B isn't UA.
Terminal C isn't the nicest terminal in the world. But I find it reasonably comfortable and functional (even with the UC issues), and better than several JFK terminals (especially JFK's T1).

Those who think that UA can just snap their fingers and fix EWR clearly aren't actually from NY/NJ and don't seem to understand the process of getting Port Authority to do something, which requires 2 dysfunctional state governments to cooperate (yes, one more dysfunctional than the other). It isn't just a technicality to say that PANYNJ owns EWR as opposed to UA. There's a fundamental difference between what a private company versus an interstate governmental agency can do (easily).

The arguments of convenience to NYC seem to come up so often, and I think it really depends on where in NYC you're going, what time, and how. EWR and JFK are both accessible to Penn Station via AirTrain to train. JFK has the benefit of both LIRR and E. But LIRR is more comfortable and faster. And yet I have always traveled between Penn Station and Terminal C more quickly using NJ Transit than between Penn Station and JFK (pretty much any terminal) using LIRR.
UA_Flyer, narvik and Repooc17 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Perhaps you're forgetting that SMI/J was fired for probable corruption because UA wanted to make changes and improvements at EWR but was forced keep an unprofitable route open so David Samson of the Port Authority could fly home on weekends as the cost of getting the approvals. Port Authority is, and always has been, a cesspool of corruption and UA can no longer bribe them to get things done. So, no UA doesn't "more or less own(s) the airport", unaccountable bureaucrats with patronage jobs do.

See here:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ndal/87094180/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/n...ew-jersey.html

https://apnews.com/90ccca31f3804a3ba4ac457e1d4e2aa9
jsloan and Repooc17 like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 5, 2019 at 7:03 am
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:41 am

LGA.

And guess who operates it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.