Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointing Experience with PP Misconnect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointing Experience with PP Misconnect

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Leaving aside EWR-HNL, the longest UA domestic flight is a smidge over six hours. Would anyone seriously bite off their nose to spite their face by waiting 'days' for a PP seat to get to where the want to go? I've taken a PP flight, it's ok but certainly not airplane nirvana for which I'd overnight in an airport hotel at EWR/LAX/SFO.
And I suspect there are some on this very forum who would actually take an E+ seat over a PP seat on the route. In both instances, you'll get a complimentary meal (since it's a p.s. route), and there are some nice E+ seats, particularly on the wide bodies (I'm looking at you over-wing exit seats on the 777/787 ).

-James
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The other thing we don't know is how long the connection was at EWR.

Certainly one should be cautious about booking PE on a connecting itinerary (especially one involving EWR or SFO) without a nice cushion.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Your assumption is because they selected a seat months ago and you paid for that seat. You misconnected (whether your fault for booking a short connection, the airline MX issue, weather, forest fires, whatever the reason) so the conclusion because you bought a seat in PP on flight #1 and you didn't make that flight, you want UA to bump down a passenger on flight #2 because they legally selected a seat but didn't paid the premium you paid for that seat to accommodate your seat pricing?..
I wouldn’t be so harsh on the OP. We all know at least one flight attendant at United who believes this is entirely rational request.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: UA MM
I'm still confused after reading the thread. What was the fare class of the OP's ticket? I know he/she said "PP" but there's more to it than that. I ask because it's not certain that it wasn't a Y ticket, paid for upgrade to E+, and then getting a PE seat selected before the moratorium on doing that.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I'm still confused after reading the thread. What was the fare class of the OP's ticket? I know he/she said "PP" but there's more to it than that. I ask because it's not certain that it wasn't a Y ticket, paid for upgrade to E+, and then getting a PE seat selected before the moratorium on doing that.
I was booked in new A class, which corresponds to paid PP.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1k, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, National Exec Elite
Nothing new, my wife was booked in Polaris for both legs of GRU-EWR-SFO. GRU-EWR was delayed therefore she missed her connecting flight, had a choice between the next available flight with lie flats or an earlier flight in E- as E+ wasn’t available (the seat map isn’t an accurate depiction of availability). She chose the latter and got credited 400 bucks on her credit card a week later.

United sees no difference between PP pax with upgraded fares or booked fares unless there was an op-up upgrade. Same for Polaris whether it was booked or upgraded via GPU or miles.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Well, the saga continues. So, after the rebooking to E-, I noticed that the fare class on my mobile BP showed as L, so I asked them to change it to H so that I would earn the same amount of miles I would have if I had flown my PP seat, which they agreed to do and reflected on the mobile BP, however, I checked my Asiana Club account today and it posted as an L fare at 50% earning. I know their system audits fare class changes during IRROPS re-booking because once I misconnected to a flight purchased in G and was rebooked in E but the miles posted as G, but I can't quite wrap my head around what the audit does that would turn my fare into L class....if it's by originally purchased fare shouldn't it have changed it to A....does it just take the lowest fare class ever associated with the flight?!

What I'm honestly most upset about is how I was basically treated like any other Y passenger even though I had outright bought PP, from not getting an E+ seat, to miles posting at 50%, it doesn't seem like there was any differentiation between how I was treated and how I would have been treated if I just bought Y.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1353513636
What I'm honestly most upset about is how I was basically treated like any other Y passenger even though I had outright bought PP, from not getting an E+ seat, to miles posting at 50%, it doesn't seem like there was any differentiation between how I was treated and how I would have been treated if I just bought Y.
Well it is premium economy.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:14 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
LHR would have cost UA a couple of hundred in taxes and fees that would have been payable but not charged as part of the ticket.

Also the OP would have needed a valid passport on him from a country allowed to enter or TWOV to the UK.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
It is coming across you are ignoring the misconnection part of this equation. It might be preferable in the future you fly private/charter as many others have stated - during mishaps with connections you can wait for the next available confirmed flight with identical class of service OR get to your destination ASAP which may include E- middle seat next to lav. Typically, at the airport the only focus is get you a seat and on your way not the technical details of fare paid, fare class, etc.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ted
LHR would have cost UA a couple of hundred in taxes and fees that would have been payable but not charged as part of the ticket.

Also the OP would have needed a valid passport on him from a country allowed to enter or TWOV to the UK.
I'm sure the whole LHR discussion is a side-track, probably said to see if UA would take the bait. No one would seriously want to do that.

Last edited by LondonElite; Nov 2, 2019 at 11:50 am
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm sure the whole LHR discussion is a side-track, probably said to see if you would take the bait. No one would seriously want to do that.
From OP's original post (below): the EWR-LHR-SFO alternative was offered by the OP, not the GA.

They also refused to rebook me in Business, E+, or via London in PP (which was the fastest way I could get home on UA flights with PP available).
If this had happened to me, I would have caught the next flight in E+ (UA has basically hourly flight between EWR and SFO) and deal with the impact post-flight. Waiting around for the next domestic PP flight is not ideal when UA flies 1x daily to SFO and 2x to LAX (could be wrong on the frequency).
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the saga continues. So, after the rebooking to E-, I noticed that the fare class on my mobile BP showed as L, so I asked them to change it to H so that I would earn the same amount of miles I would have if I had flown my PP seat, which they agreed to do and reflected on the mobile BP, however, I checked my Asiana Club account today and it posted as an L fare at 50% earning. I know their system audits fare class changes during IRROPS re-booking because once I misconnected to a flight purchased in G and was rebooked in E but the miles posted as G, but I can't quite wrap my head around what the audit does that would turn my fare into L class....if it's by originally purchased fare shouldn't it have changed it to A....does it just take the lowest fare class ever associated with the flight?!

It does seem you got a poor rebooking experience.

I would think you're eligible for at least a refund of fare difference or travel voucher compensation, assuming you can reduce your complaint to two or three sentences.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
So, after the rebooking to E-, I noticed that the fare class on my mobile BP showed as L, so I asked them to change it to H so that I would earn the same amount of miles I would have if I had flown my PP seat, which they agreed to do and reflected on the mobile BP, however, I checked my Asiana Club account today and it posted as an L fare at 50% earning.
You can actually request ORC all the way back to the PP fare class.

PP is factually Premium Economy. The only thing really make you "special" is *G. Why should you expect more when you are really a economy passenger?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 2, 2019 at 9:00 pm Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
From OP's original post (below): the EWR-LHR-SFO alternative was offered by the OP, not the GA.
I know, my last post had an auto-correct error, now fixed (you UA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.