Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointing Experience with PP Misconnect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointing Experience with PP Misconnect

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Because it would get me to SFO later than taking the EWR-LHR-SFO routing did.
Why didn't you just buy E+ and get the PP difference back?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:01 pm

One other factor to consider would also be who you spoke to at the airport. Was it the gate agent?

Generally speaking during IRROPs I won't talk to gate agent (who is powerless) and customer service (which is unaware of the nuances of UA res) and instead head straight for the United Club. As a NZ *G you have access to the lounge flying UA domestically and from my experience they tend to have trained reservationists stationed there to handle these precise situations. Only if the United Clubs are all closed would I even think about heading to customer service.

Safe Travels,

James
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Why didn't you just buy E+ and get the PP difference back?
OP should have been given E+ and gotten the PP difference back.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:29 pm
Suspended

I’m still stuck on the LHR thing. As someone who flew over 22,000 BIS miles with UA in the last ten days, almost all of it in lie-flats, I’d much rather take a direct E- flight EWR-SFO than Polaris via LHR.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I’m still stuck on the LHR thing. As someone who flew over 22,000 BIS miles with UA in the last ten days, almost all of it in lie-flats, I’d much rather take a direct E- flight EWR-SFO than Polaris via LHR.
Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I mean some people don't mind tacking on that extra BIS if it means racking up the miles to earn the next level of elite status on their frequent flyer program.

-James
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I would have thought that I would have the option to take the fastest routing in PP to my destination, which was EWR-LHR-SFO, but since they weren't willing to do that.
Sorry, that was not a reasonable request. E+ was; they should have given you that.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:18 am

Wow.

You’re entitled to a fare difference and if you aren’t a jerk an ETC.

i am a GS who regularly flies EWR-HKG up front. A few months ago due to Mx missed my HKG flight and wanted to get home quickly. They re-routed me to a partner but only E seats. I could have waited until the next day. I wanted to get home.

i got a refund for the difference in fare and an ETC.

never would I have considered “bumping” someone else to accommodate me. Who am I?

Mods this almost belongs as a DYKWIA post. Ugh
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I mean some people don't mind tacking on that extra BIS if it means racking up the miles to earn the next level of elite status on their frequent flyer program.

-James
But OP is not going to rack up any extra miles just because he asked for a different routing.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jp12687
You’re entitled to a fare difference and if you aren’t a jerk an ETC.
An ETC is only customary if the delay is within UA’s control. I don’t know that OP provided a delay reason. (That’s not to say that they never give an ETC for any other purpose, just that I wouldn’t expect it).
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:25 am

I also think the OP is confusing not assigned seats with open seats.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
An ETC is only customary if the delay is within UA’s control. I don’t know that OP provided a delay reason. (That’s not to say that they never give an ETC for any other purpose, just that I wouldn’t expect it).
that’s why I said if not a jerk. It’s up to the agent.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also think the OP is confusing not assigned seats with open seats.
I don’t think so. One of the follow-up messages mentioned an inventory bucket, so it’s clear to me that OP was looking in the right places.

that’s why I said if not a jerk. It’s up to the agent.
I guess? I’d never ask for an ETC for a weather delay in the first place, so I don’t know if it’s something that you get for being nice.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I don’t think so. One of the follow-up messages mentioned an inventory bucket, so it’s clear to me that OP was looking in the right places.

I guess? I’d never ask for an ETC for a weather delay in the first place, so I don’t know if it’s something that you get for being nice.
If they re rerouted you in a different cabin they have discretion. So if you’re a hero you won’t get anything. If you’re nice they can throw some token ETC your way
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I think the big point you're all missing here is that the OP is recommending to hesitate buying PP on a domestic route. I think that's not bad advice -- any chance of a misconnect and you're either waiting for hours (maybe days) for the next PP flight with availability, or you're flying in E-, with what would probably be a pittance of a refund ( discount PP to full Y ).

I agree that they should have given the OP E+, at least as a gesture of goodwill, but technically they didn't have to. Esp as he's a *G, thats a pretty nasty move not to.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dordal
I think the big point you're all missing here is that the OP is recommending to hesitate buying PP on a domestic route. I think that's not bad advice -- any chance of a misconnect and you're either waiting for hours (maybe days) for the next PP flight with availability, or you're flying in E-, with what would probably be a pittance of a refund ( discount PP to full Y ).

I agree that they should have given the OP E+, at least as a gesture of goodwill, but technically they didn't have to. Esp as he's a *G, thats a pretty nasty move not to.
Leaving aside EWR-HNL, the longest UA domestic flight is a smidge over six hours. Would anyone seriously bite off their nose to spite their face by waiting 'days' for a PP seat to get to where the want to go? I've taken a PP flight, it's ok but certainly not airplane nirvana for which I'd overnight in an airport hotel at EWR/LAX/SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.