Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PP ticket, but no available seats to choose from?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

What now?

I have a PP ticket SFO-EWR-SFO (UA 2065/583 on Nov 23/29), but can't select a seat as nothing is available (other than 3 in Economy and 2 in Business)

Old Nov 1, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Probably overbooked? Not uncommon given the relative cabin sizes. Supported upgrades will be cleared and then op-ups if necessary.

Only 4 unassigned in J on the outbound, so probably not overbooked by much.
malgudi likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 2:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by malgudi
What now?

I have a PP ticket SFO-EWR-SFO (UA 2065/583 on Nov 23/29), but can't select a seat as nothing is available (other than 3 in Economy and 2 in Business)

This happens regularly in Economy. It's likely an oversold situation and between upgrades and op-ups, space with be created.
There is a smaller chance there is a blocked seat but have not seen that in PP

Would have no concerns other than you will get whatever seat feels up.
malgudi likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Still waiting for seats to open up
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:37 am
Suspended

Good luck...
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
You're still a week away from the flight. United is not going to upgrade anyone who is waitlisted with an instrument or miles with just a few p.s. (business) seats available and it sounds like no one has cancelled/changed their reservation that already had a seat assignment in PP.

DO NOT worry. You will be sitting in PP or p.s./business on this flight for the reasons already explained by other posters above. You just may need to wait until the airport to get your seat assignment.

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Nov 17, 2019 at 7:19 am Reason: Clarify who I meant would be upgraded (GPU/RPU/miles)
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You're still a week away from the flight. United is not going to upgrade anyone with just a few p.s. (business) seats available and it sounds like no one has cancelled/changed their reservation that already had a seat assignment in PP.

DO NOT worry. You will be sitting in PP or p.s./business on this flight for the reasons already explained by other posters above. You just may need to wait until the airport to get your seat assignment.

-RM
If the OP doesn't have UA or *A status, the chances that he/she will get an OPUP are small. UA will probably pick someone else to move up to business class and give that person's seat to the OP.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the OP doesn't have UA or *A status, the chances that he/she will get an OPUP are small. UA will probably pick someone else to move up to business class and give that person's seat to the OP.
I didn't say the OP was getting an upgrade. I simply said UA hasn't processed any yet (of those waiting on the list with an instrument or miles). Therefore, no seats have opened in PP. I edited my original post in case it's ambiguous.

-RM
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
No worry, be happy.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks, will wait (I'm 1K and have also requested an upgrade)
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:28 am
Original Poster

This did not end well, here's how it unravelled (a tad detailed, so everybody has the full context)

tl;dr: Paid for PP, flew in E-, got $250 ETC mail on arrival. Is this par for the course? What can I do better next time?

• Couldn't checkin at the 24hr mark as "docs needed to be verified" (US passport, final destination Ghana)
  • Thinking this might turn to be a cluster, checked in 3hrs before. Was told since I still didn't have a seat, couldn't be on the upgrade list (!) despite it saying "upgrade requested" on the reservations page
  • Was assigned a middle seat in row 60 (the very last row) just before boarding ... it's a looooong walk to the end of the 787!
  • GA came by in a few minutes with a better seat (aisle a few rows up ... but still E-)
  • Just before the gates closed, GA comes by again and asks me to move to PP as "there's a no show". He said the app would refresh once he got off the plane and fixed a few things (it never did, showed somebody else's upgrade as having cleared into PP). I didn't think twice about this at the time, as I had paid for a PP seat, figured it was a glitch,
  • 1hr into the flight, the purser comes by to say there was a mistake and requests me to switch with the guy in E- (the upgraded passenger whose name appeared in the app). The purser happened to be around when the GA asked me to move to PP, so atleast he knew I didn't just move to PP on my own
  • Purser was extremely apologetic, filed out the paperwork for ETC which I got on landing.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
This did not end well, here's how it unravelled (a tad detailed, so everybody has the full context)

tl;dr: Paid for PP, flew in E-, got $250 ETC mail on arrival. Is this par for the course? What can I do better next time?

• Couldn't checkin at the 24hr mark as "docs needed to be verified" (US passport, final destination Ghana)
  • Thinking this might turn to be a cluster, checked in 3hrs before. Was told since I still didn't have a seat, couldn't be on the upgrade list (!) despite it saying "upgrade requested" on the reservations page
  • Was assigned a middle seat in row 60 (the very last row) just before boarding ... it's a looooong walk to the end of the 787!
  • GA came by in a few minutes with a better seat (aisle a few rows up ... but still E-)
  • Just before the gates closed, GA comes by again and asks me to move to PP as "there's a no show". He said the app would refresh once he got off the plane and fixed a few things (it never did, showed somebody else's upgrade as having cleared into PP). I didn't think twice about this at the time, as I had paid for a PP seat, figured it was a glitch,
  • 1hr into the flight, the purser comes by to say there was a mistake and requests me to switch with the guy in E- (the upgraded passenger whose name appeared in the app). The purser happened to be around when the GA asked me to move to PP, so atleast he knew I didn't just move to PP on my own
  • Purser was extremely apologetic, filed out the paperwork for ETC which I got on landing.
I think the ETC is for the downgrade after they upgraded you, especially since it was processed by the Purser.

You should contact United immediately that you paid an O/A/R fare (i.e. PP) and received a Y seat and request a refund for the fare difference.
malgudi likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

What was the full ticket? Just curious, as the fare etc. is clearly a bit more complicated than just a SFO-EWR round trip.

That being said, you should be due a $500 ETC per GG OVS DOWNGRADE on SFO-EWR, plus a refund of the difference in fare since you paid for a higher cabin. Water under the bridge, but I also would have put up far more of a fuss whenever first assigned a seat not in the cabin paid for... that's simply outrageous behavior by UA and honestly remains a huge problem that downgrades are completely exempt from US IDB regulations and there is no EC261 equivalent.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: *
Thanks, will wait (I'm 1K and have also requested an upgrade)
Did you ever try calling to secure a seat? What were you told?

Terrible and unacceptable treatment by UA on all fronts and moreso for a premier elite member.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What now?

I'm confused. Was Ghana on a separate ticket/PNR or not? If you had a separate ticket/itinerary for just SFO-EWR RT, what did the passport/visa/document check have to do with your domestic flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.