Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PP ticket, but no available seats to choose from?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PP ticket, but no available seats to choose from?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:58 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by malgudi
Update:

I got the $500 downgrade compensation + a bit more "for the inconvenience"

Fare refund will have to wait until I'm done traveling, at which time I can request online.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions ^

Does it make sense to file a DOT complaint? Just so it shows up against UA?
If they are making you "whole" to your satisfaction, I certainly would not and would not think that it was necessary.
jsloan and malgudi like this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
If they are making you "whole" to your satisfaction, I certainly would not and would not think that it was necessary.
I agree with this. OP needs to stay on UA's good side if they intend to continue flying them, and UA does track complaints and regularly "fire" customers for filing too many-whether justified or not.

Chalk this experience up to, "what's the worst that could possibly happen?", and be thankful that the odds are that you will never be treated this way again.

Good luck, nonetheless!
iluv2fly likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 25, 2019 at 10:41 am
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I agree with this. OP needs to stay on UA's good side if they intend to continue flying them, and UA does track complaints and regularly "fire" customers for filing too many-whether justified or not.

Chalk this experience up to, "what's the worst that could possibly happen?", and be thankful that the odds are that you will never be treated this way again.

Good luck, nonetheless!
This would've been my first
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by malgudi
Update:

I got the $500 downgrade compensation + a bit more "for the inconvenience"

Fare refund will have to wait until I'm done traveling, at which time I can request online.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions ^

Does it make sense to file a DOT complaint? Just so it shows up against UA?
While I would personally still be pretty upset over it all, the OVS DOWNGRADE chart is overall a pretty fair amount, so I would probably stop with your $500 and change,. Fare refund shouldn't be difficult, but don't expect it to be very large.

Unfortunately when it comes to the DOT, premium cabin pax have virtually no protections. Airlines can basically just renege on their end of the contract and face no penalty beyond issuing a refund.

Answering another question posed upthread, if UA puts you in OP's situation, you can refuse the downgrade.. at which point your only legal recourse is a full refund of the remaining ticket (or accepting any other solution voluntarily provided by UA), which is typically not very helpful.
SPN Lifer and malgudi like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: *
I am in similar situation to OP. Traveling as a couple, purchased PP and cabin is oversold. Initially had no seat allocation but now showing us seated in 33 AB (E+). Both Y and PP are oversold and J has 9 seats blocked, so I assume to accommodate for over booked PP.

I understand if things work as they should then things will be sorted out at airport. But situation could easily change with flight delays, cancellations etc such that I end up in 33 AB as that is assigned seats.

Is there anything I can do to reduce my chances of ending up in those E plus seats and enhance chance of sitting in purchased cabin (or even OP up to J)? To complicate matters, the other party is minor (limiting access to row 20) ...
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ani90
I am in similar situation to OP. Traveling as a couple, purchased PP and cabin is oversold. Initially had no seat allocation but now showing us seated in 33 AB (E+). Both Y and PP are oversold and J has 9 seats blocked, so I assume to accommodate for over booked PP.

I understand if things work as they should then things will be sorted out at airport. But situation could easily change with flight delays, cancellations etc such that I end up in 33 AB as that is assigned seats.

Is there anything I can do to reduce my chances of ending up in those E plus seats and enhance chance of sitting in purchased cabin (or even OP up to J)? To complicate matters, the other party is minor (limiting access to row 20) ...
If you're subject to cancellations or major delays, you're likely not to end up in 33AB anyway. Short of calling UA, I'd just wait it out.

Also, the exit row restriction is not for minors but those under 15 years age.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Shockingly poor response from UA but their reaction and stingy compensation is nothing we haven't heard before (a lot). The bigger question is the desire to oversell J and PP - economy I get but not these - what does it say for what they think of those on the upgrade list. These seats would not likely go empty even with no shows.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
If you're subject to cancellations or major delays, you're likely not to end up in 33AB anyway.
Was not referring to my flight, but others. I am on the last flight of the day bw EWR and LHR. I have certainly seen situations where an earlier flight has been cancelled, or delays have cause a bunch of pax to misconnect from earlier flights, so they then have to accommodate those passengers on the later flight. If so then could end up stuck in 33AB if J is filled up by J pax bumped from earlier flight as no room to accommodate oversell from PP.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio

Also, the exit row restriction is not for minors but those under 15 years age.
Sorry I don't know the terminology. I should have said under 15 then.

​​​​​​​
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA MM
Was not referring to my flight, but others. I am on the last flight of the day bw EWR and LHR. I have certainly seen situations where an earlier flight has been cancelled, or delays have cause a bunch of pax to misconnect from earlier flights, so they then have to accommodate those passengers on the later flight. If so then could end up stuck in 33AB if J is filled up by J pax bumped from earlier flight as no room to accommodate oversell from PP.

Sorry I don't know the terminology. I should have said under 15 then.
If IRROPS cause extra passengers for your flight, they aren't going to bump those already holding a reservation on your flight. The only realistic way for you not to get a PP seat on that flight is if there's a change to an aircraft which doesn't have that cabin.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Set a seat alert on ExpertFlyer (they're included in the free tier). If something opens up, grab it.

I would feel much more comfortable without a seat assignment than I would feel with a seat assignment in the wrong cabin.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

I would feel much more comfortable without a seat assignment than I would feel with a seat assignment in the wrong cabin.
I agree which is my concern. Is there any way to unselect this assignment?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree which is my concern. Is there any way to unselect this assignment?
I'm not aware of any. You could call and ask if they could remove your seat assignment, but I don't know how likely you are to get an agent who really understands why you'd want to do that and would actually do it instead of assuming that you don't really want it done.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Personally I would call and simply complain about having a seat assignment in the wrong cabin, but I agree I'm not sure it will be very productive.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm not aware of any. You could call and ask if they could remove your seat assignment, but I don't know how likely you are to get an agent who really understands why you'd want to do that and would actually do it instead of assuming that you don't really want it done.
I did try and helpful agent put me on hold and then said she couldn't take the seat assignments off and only airport can change on day of travel. This means, I presume, I will, on check-in, have a boarding pass printed with E plus seat numbers on PP ticket...strange method to deal with oversell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.