Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting next to Oscar

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by miasmal
I'd be more impressed if he was sitting in Y.
Why? He is just as deserving to be in the front as anyone on this forum.
He's not traveling as a show of face with staff; he's traveling because he needs to be somewhere, probably for work.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DWFI
Why? He is just as deserving to be in the front as anyone on this forum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_your_own_dog_food
It's probably a good idea for upper management to experience the "worst" product their company is selling.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by STS-134
It's probably a good idea for upper management to experience the "worst" product their company is selling.
As an extension of this, politicians and government officials should be forced to use regular TSA airport security with no special treatment in terms of lines, secondary inspections, etc. The same for *all* airline and airport employees.
Petdog and chrisl137 like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As an extension of this, politicians and government officials should be forced to use regular TSA airport security with no special treatment in terms of lines, secondary inspections, etc. The same for *all* airline and airport employees.
In general, those people in positions of responsibility, who have the ability and responsibility to take action and fix a product if it has issues, should be the first ones to experience problems with it so that they can take action to fix it if necessary.
Petdog, cawhite and Miggles like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Not defending United or its C level people as don't know them personally. I think easy to blame the public face when a corporate board is pulling all the strings/decision making. I believe he (Mr. Munoz) is more favorable at the moment vs. say Dennis Muilenburg or Mark Zuckerburg. Good to hear he is still drinking/eating from his own UA kitchen.
cmd320 and ajGoes like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:53 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
+1 to ctownflyer and Vulcan.

imho if United does not relent, this will become like a blister that will not go away until the last lifetime member expires. (For both sides).
+1 I also agree. You could change the phrasing --- like reneging on promises made to lifetime members -- like..... (and there are many).
Just flew on Jet Blue and used the UA lounge for the last time (without a UA ticket) on my return. On my outbound from PBI did same at the Delta Sky Club.
By the way 2nd time on JB and was impressed.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by PaulMCO
+1 I also agree. You could change the phrasing --- like reneging on promises made to lifetime members -- like..... (and there are many).
Just flew on Jet Blue and used the UA lounge for the last time (without a UA ticket) on my return. On my outbound from PBI did same at the Delta Sky Club.
By the way 2nd time on JB and was impressed.
B6 has always been a class act. Unfortunately they do not offer a compelling product for those of us on the West Coast.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
+1 to ctownflyer and Vulcan.

imho if United does not relent, this will become like a blister that will not go away until the last lifetime member expires. (For both sides).
And considering the extreme longevity in this lifetime UC member's mother's line, that could be decades!
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Was it a meal flight? Did he eat?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by SS255
And considering the extreme longevity in this lifetime UC member's mother's line, that could be decades!
As a 30-something lifetime United Club member, I very much hope to have another century of lounge access. With a bunch of relatives who made it to three digits not all that improbable.

Now...will United avoid ch 11 or 7 over the next century? Hope the best they do.
SS255 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by STS-134
+1. The problem for Oscar would be that basically every United Y seat except the few remaining 763 would be in the "worst" catigory. I guess the Y seats on the 777s (at x10) are the absolute worst, but none of them (except the few remaining 763s) are very good.

And I am not suggesting that Oscar should routinely sit in Y, but periodically doing so, and just running normally using the upgrade system like everyone else, is both good for optics, but also just to know what it is like to fly his 2 of 5 star airline....
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:43 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seat38a
Damn, no GS even for the CEO. Thats tough.
He is a GS. I cleared the ORD GS lobby with him two weeks ago. Can echo what is said above about him going out of his way to engage with each employee, including the porter who was taking my golf clubs who evidently used to work in the UA corporate kitchen. All of the GS agents were clearly nervous.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Why? Did you forget to shower? Did he?
Given all the recent development, I think it is safe to say that he becomes a PNG for many of us.

He is a corporate officer. So he can't be offloaded. That means I have to go.

Originally Posted by LIH
He is a GS.
Is it really a matter when he is the UA CEO? GS or 1K, it is futile.

Originally Posted by LIH
All of the GS agents were clearly nervous.
You are looking at a boss who can fire you onsite. Would you be nervous?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Given all the recent development, I think it is safe to say that he becomes a PNG for many of us.

He is a corporate officer. So he can't be offloaded. That means I have to go.
I don't mean to ruin your day, but you've flown with people that would have been much more unsettling seat mates. You just didn't know.

You are looking at a boss who can fire you onsite. Would you be nervous?

I've met many members of upper management at my current and former employers. I was never nervous that I was about to lose my job.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:02 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Is it really a matter when he is the UA CEO? GS or 1K, it is futile.
I meant this more in the context that he isn't coded some other way. His ticket said Global Services not "CEO".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.