Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant 2020 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2019?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA may proactively grant exceptions
Some have speculated your past history with UA may be a factor or an unusually high PQD or some life event reason or ....
To manually request an exception,
Contact MPSC
Hours: 7 a.m. – 12 a.m. (CT), 7 days a week
Call from the U.S. or Canada 1-800-421-4655
or
Email MileagePlus
United may also offer you a buy-up:
2019 Elite Buy-Up Offers from United (for higher status than earned in 2018)
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)

Previous threads
Will UA Grant 2019 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2018?

Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

Will UA Grant 2017 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Will UA Grant 2016 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2015?

Will UA Grant Me Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying? (2011-2014)

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017

Granted 2017 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]

Granted 2016 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]

Granted 2015 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]
Print Wikipost

Will UA Grant 2020 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2019?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum

Does anyone know if UA will give out 1K if you spend enough but fall short on the PQM? I'm likely to hit over $30,000 in spend but will fall short of 100k miles. Any anecdotes of them awarding status based on PQDs only (aside from GS, of course)? Or is $30,000 not actually that much spend and they probably have lots of Platinums spending that much each year?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 13, 2019 at 12:06 pm Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wenstinator
Does anyone know if UA will give out 1K if you spend enough but fall short on the PQM? I'm likely to hit over $30,000 in spend but will fall short of 100k miles. Any anecdotes of them awarding status based on PQDs only (aside from GS, of course)? Or is $30,000 not actually that much spend and they probably have lots of Platinums spending that much each year?
Can't find specifics, but there have been many anecdotal instances of Gold being granted for 12,000+ PQD without the miles. Haven't heard as much for higher status. I would imagine that at double the PQD you are probably in a very small group and might get lucky.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Man. That must be some expensive short-hauls. (Assume long-haul flights are getting the OP major double PQMs).

OP - how close will you be? Consider an MR...
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
OP - how close will you be? Consider an MR...
I agree. I wouldn't leave it to chance and hope for UA generosity.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I'd think $30k would get it pretty close to considering 1k. $50k and they will consider GS even without hitting 100k. Is it worth the risk? Not sure ... $40k I would say it's a no-brainer.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Will be short $9.00 PQD

Do WiFi subscriptions count toward PQD? Economy Plus subscriptions?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Kalakala
Originally Posted by Kalakala
Do WiFi subscriptions count toward PQD? ...
No

Economy Plus subscriptions?
Yes for the recipient, but Gold and higher elites can not purchase an E+ subscription for themselves.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:11 pm

Thanks WineCountry
Ugh. The cheapest E+ subscription is $599. Not a viable option.
My current status is Silver. If I buy a E+ seat on one leg of travel, will that count toward PQD?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Thanks WineCountry
Ugh. The cheapest E+ subscription is $599. Not a viable option.
My current status is Silver. If I buy a E+ seat on one leg of travel, will that count toward PQD?
Yes buying an E+ seat will count towards PQD
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:15 pm

Thanks. freeagent
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
I'd think $30k would get it pretty close to considering 1k. $50k and they will consider GS even without hitting 100k. Is it worth the risk? Not sure ... $40k I would say it's a no-brainer.
Thanks all. I'm just debating whether to keep putting more big spend on short domestic trips on United or start spreading it (i.e., Southwest flights are often more convenient for me in location and timing). I've debated an MR near end of year, but I'll probably be quite short of the 100k PQM marker, so it would need to be something like a Singapore or Australia run, which sounds brutal in economy!
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA MM
Frankly, I have a hard time thinking of how anyone can spend over $30K and fall short of 100K miles. What kind of travel are you doing, if I may ask?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've debated an MR near end of year, but I'll probably be quite short of the 100k PQM marker, so it would need to be something like a Singapore or Australia run, which sounds brutal in economy!
There's no rule that says a mileage run has to be in economy. Keep an eye on the Premium Fare Deals board, or just price something out and see how it looks. Keep in mind that you may get a PQM bonus for flying in PE or J also, so you might have more flexibility in your destination than you think.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
That being said, if 1K won't get you upgrades on your regular travel and WN has a better schedule... indeed might be worth considering a switch.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Frankly, I have a hard time thinking of how anyone can spend over $30K and fall short of 100K miles. What kind of travel are you doing, if I may ask?
More than half of that is two biz class flights to Europe, which only netted maybe 40K PQMs. Then a bunch of IAH-DFW and IAH-ORD type flights, often refundable fares (but usually M so no PQM multiplier). The cost of those starts to stack up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.