Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant 2020 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2019?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA may proactively grant exceptions
Some have speculated your past history with UA may be a factor or an unusually high PQD or some life event reason or ....
To manually request an exception,
Contact MPSC
Hours: 7 a.m. – 12 a.m. (CT), 7 days a week
Call from the U.S. or Canada 1-800-421-4655
or
Email MileagePlus
United may also offer you a buy-up:
2019 Elite Buy-Up Offers from United (for higher status than earned in 2018)
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)

Previous threads
Will UA Grant 2019 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2018?

Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

Will UA Grant 2017 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Will UA Grant 2016 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2015?

Will UA Grant Me Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying? (2011-2014)

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017

Granted 2017 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]

Granted 2016 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]

Granted 2015 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]
Print Wikipost

Will UA Grant 2020 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2019?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Frankly, I have a hard time thinking of how anyone can spend over $30K and fall short of 100K miles. What kind of travel are you doing, if I may ask?
Originally Posted by wenstinator
More than half of that is two biz class flights to Europe, which only netted maybe 40K PQMs. Then a bunch of IAH-DFW and IAH-ORD type flights, often refundable fares (but usually M so no PQM multiplier). The cost of those starts to stack up
I will be in the same boat. Somewhere between 20-30k by end of the year, and will likely barely hit plat on segments. 95% of my travel this year was CLE <> ORD round trips often on refundable fares, like wenstinator, no PQM multiplier (often H or U).

Last edited by mrmoo; Aug 15, 2019 at 7:21 am Reason: Added quote
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
I seem to be in the minority, being short PQD rather than short PQM.

I can hit 100,000 PQM this year with about 91,000 BIS PQM + 9000 in accelerator PQM. But with $11,500 PQD, I will still be short about $3500 PQD by 12-31-19.
(I just flew cheap fares this year)

I have been 1K for about 12 years, with 1.3MM over that time, but given the low spend this year, with no PQD waiver, I don't think UA-MP will grant an exception.

I am considering an expensive MR, mainly because the responsive 1K line during irrops and the convenience of no-fee award changes (I do a lot of last-min award travel changes) is worth a lot. Just not sure it's worth that much (the free snack box, free drink, and RPUs and GPUs [pluspoints] have some value, I get that).

An extra $3500 spend amounts to 28 instances of award redeposit fees @ $125/ea. I might do 5-10 a year, certainly not 28!

When should one ask UA for an exception? If I wait too long, there will be little time to plan that $3500 MR.

Last edited by weezl; Sep 29, 2019 at 5:13 pm
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by weezl
When should one ask UA for an exception? If I wait too long, there will be little time to plan that $3500 MR.
I don't know that there's any chance of UA granting any sort of advance exception. To the extent exceptions are granted, it's typically after year end; that's when those decisions are made. And there's no way they're waiving a $3500 miss on PQD. Maybe a few hundred dollars.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....When should one ask UA for an exception? If I wait too long, there will be little time to plan that $3500 MR.
UA raised the 1K PQD this year to $15K from $12K. Suspect that they do not intend to waive the $15K for all those still at the $12K range. Get to with a few $100s and there might be a slim chance.

Wait to buy PQMs to see if the PQM purchase with PQD counted returns. The last promo was early August -- no guarantee it will come back
Buying PQMs, PQSs, and PQDs on mystatus.United.com / email
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Does anyone know if there is an official / unofficial policy that UA has for mothers who have a kid and have to dial back travel during the year? My wife was on track to requalify on an annualized basis but had to stop traveling midway through this year since we had a baby a month ago. Was just wondering if there was some sort of grace period where UA would allow for requalification / extend benefits.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This is soooo close to zero it's not worth it. Unless you hit 1k for $40k for the past 12 year and you have good personal story why this year you are short ... not worth a try.

UA generally is much more forgiving with the $30k spent but only 90k PQMs than the other way around.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 5:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Does anyone know if there is an official / unofficial policy that UA has for mothers who have a kid and have to dial back travel during the year? ,,,.
Unaware of any formal program but some have had success in the past
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...o-will-ua.html
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Hi!

I'm currently Premier 1k and will end the year with $17500 spent, 32 segments and 98500 PQM...

Will United extend me Premier 1k for 2020?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
I wouldn't risk it personally... I think the cases of them rounding up are just if it is very small number of miles (<100), and even then shouldn't count on it.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So, just figured out wife, after our last booked trip is flown at Thanksgiving, will be 97 miles short of 25,000 for silver (has card spend for PQD waiver). I’ll be silver. Beyond this, we don’t have any additional confirmed travel plans, though possible we may do something in Dec. not sure yet. We typically travel as 3 with a lap infant, moving to 4 paid seats early next year.

im trying to figure out if it’s even worth aiming for the 97 PQM somehow, or just chancing it to see if they will give it to her. We’re not going to get near status with the new requirements for 2021, and so are already thinking of just using the carrier that is some variation of least expensive/most convenient by trip, vs. always using UA unless it made no sense. However, would be nice to keep E+ for all 4 at checkin when we do use UA (in most instances, this hasn’t been an issue) and have a chance (however small) of being on the upgrade list. Given I will have status anyway, we’ll still get the bag fee waiver when we do fly UA, and have elite Y award availability, etc. trying to figure out if it’s better to start the transition to a family without status now, or try to take advantage for one last year while we can.

if she does want to aim for the 97 PQM, and we don’t end up doing an extra trip, I assume using her Select card to buy E+ seats on the UA web site for our Thanksgiving trip should get her the status, correct (she still has lots of room until the PQM max for her card)?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
My situation is that I'll end the year at about $10k PQD, but only 50-ish PQS and 41k PQM. I would easily make Gold in the new scheme, but will fall short this year. Despite my spend, I'm not expecting a status "bump" to Gold unless I get my PQM/PQS much closer. I'm currently trying to figure out a trip with my wife somewhere between Christmas and New Year.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Does anyone know if there is an official / unofficial policy that UA has for mothers who have a kid and have to dial back travel during the year? My wife was on track to requalify on an annualized basis but had to stop traveling midway through this year since we had a baby a month ago. Was just wondering if there was some sort of grace period where UA would allow for requalification / extend benefits.
There are stories of soft landings to a lower status level for consecutive multi-year 1K's who don't make status due to extenuating circumstances, but I haven't seen anyone reference a formal policy about this. Unfortunately, life happens. I had a client project get scuttled earlier this year because they got acquired. Had to cancel two trips to London and almost weekly trips to their HQ in the Midwest over 3 months. Had 1.5 months of minimal travel/local work which has created the gap. Such is life.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
My situation is that I'll end the year at about $10k PQD, but only 50-ish PQS and 41k PQM. I would easily make Gold in the new scheme, but will fall short this year. Despite my spend, I'm not expecting a status "bump" to Gold unless I get my PQM/PQS much closer. I'm currently trying to figure out a trip with my wife somewhere between Christmas and New Year.
I'd expect you get Gold even without asking ... looking back it appears that UA has been bumping up with the 'new requirements' for many years now when PQD was high.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by cfischer
I'd expect you get Gold even without asking ... looking back it appears that UA has been bumping up with the 'new requirements' for many years now when PQD was high.
It’s probably in the best interests of United to be a little more generous with bumping people up for 2020. They need to get as many hooked on the status trap as they can before the transformation takes place.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by wenstinator
Does anyone know if UA will give out 1K if you spend enough but fall short on the PQM? I'm likely to hit over $30,000 in spend but will fall short of 100k miles. Any anecdotes of them awarding status based on PQDs only (aside from GS, of course)? Or is $30,000 not actually that much spend and they probably have lots of Platinums spending that much each year?
If this is your pattern in 2020 you will be 1K for 2021 - it is all about the spend!

If it were me I would contact United and ask the question if they would make an exception for you for 2020. Currently you are the pax they want - high spend and low miles.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: MileagePlus
16 miles short of Gold

Hi MileagePlus experts,

I'm scheduled to finish the year with 49984 PQM's, just 16 miles short of Gold. I have met the PQD and segments goals, so they're not the problem. I have two trips planned for the remainder of the year and this is the number of PQMs that appears in the Premier future mileage tracker.

I've read on the forums about the options to buy PQMs, or do a mileage run flight, and understand how that would work.

I'm wondering if there is any other way to just get 16 miles, such as maybe a waiver or other method that's less costly or wouldn't require flying another trip?

Any advice appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.