PQD Change Fee Recognition

Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, AS MVPGold, Kimpton Inner Circle
PQD Change Fee Recognition

Sorry if this has been asked/answered, but is there any way to credit change fees to PQD? I've got about $1200 worth that are tied to purchased 1st class/ Z fare tickets - all domestic.. Close to hitting 1K on PQD, so any way to make the case that since change fees are tied to purchased 1C seats, there's no cost to UA (because in almost all cases they would have just sent an upgrade to the original seat anyway and no need to resell the seat)..

Hate to leave cash on the table.

Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SEA-Risk
Sorry if this has been asked/answered, but is there any way to credit change fees to PQD? ...
Presently No
However, in 2020 change fees upgrade fees will be included in PQPs (which replaces the PQD approach).

Note -- fare differentials are included in PQDs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 24, 2019 at 4:59 pm
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Sorry if this has been asked/answered, but is there any way to credit change fees to PQD? I've got about $1200 worth that are tied to purchased 1st class/ Z fare tickets - all domestic.. Close to hitting 1K on PQD, so any way to make the case that since change fees are tied to purchased 1C seats, there's no cost to UA (because in almost all cases they would have just sent an upgrade to the original seat anyway and no need to resell the seat)..

Hate to leave cash on the table.

Thanks.
no - change fees dont apply ti PQD. Only fare and E+ purchases do currently. Other items will count starting next year, including purchases on *A and all upgrade fees.

if your changes involve a fare difference, that additional fare will count toward PQD, when flown, however.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, AS MVPGold, Kimpton Inner Circle
Thanks. Yeah, when I back out the numbers I can see UA is recognizing the fare differential when I change the ticket, but not the fee. My question more centers around "given this is costing UA nothing and me a lot, does anybody know the channel to get dispensation?"
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Presently no but in 2020 change fees will be included in PQPs
Where do you get that?
My question more centers around "given this is costing UA nothing and me a lot, does anybody know the channel to get dispensation?"
Not possible. Change fees don't count for PQD.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Presently no but in 2020 change fees will be included in PQPs
Where do you get that?.
Was thinking about upgrade fees -- too many changes and 9 time zone jet lag.
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 5:01 pm

Thanks. Yeah, when I back out the numbers I can see UA is recognizing the fare differential when I change the ticket, but not the fee. My question more centers around "given this is costing UA nothing and me a lot, does anybody know the channel to get dispensation?"
This is the question many have asked for years, and the simplest answer is UA decided not to count the change fees. Their game, their rules. And no, UA does not give dispensations.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Dispensation?

Simply never going to happen. You and tens of thousands of other people have paid change fees which were not counted. UA made a policy decision not to count them.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Even for next year, change fee will not be counted toward PQP. Only below items:

• Base fare + surcharge
  • Economy Plus seating or subscriptions
  • Preferred seat purchases
  • NEW MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays
  • NEW Paid upgrades
  • NEW Flights ticketed and operated by our Star Alliance partners
Old May 12, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile PQD for Upfare Change ??

Oh Wise UA Flyertalkers:

I have a question about how Premier Qualifying Points are calculated when a member changes a flight and pays the higher fare. Here is my scenario:

I purchased a o/w ticket SRQ-ORD in something like "S" class for $118.40 for May 8. I decided to move up my travel date to May 5. Using United.Com I found a flight on May 5, paid an additional $259 and my ticket was confirmed. The Confirmation Number did not change but I am not certain about the ticket number. I also purchased an upgrade for $129.

When I completed my trip, I received the following PQPs: SRQ-ORD= $245, Day of Departure Upgrade = $129. Total PQDs = $374. However, I would have thought some portion of the first ticket payment, i.e. $118.40 would have been included in the total PQPs. Clearly it was not. Is this a valid point and should I escalate it to United ?

Last edited by gpicur; May 12, 2021 at 7:46 am Reason: misspelling
Old May 12, 2021, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpicur
Oh Wise UA Flyertalkers:

I have a question about how Premier Qualifying Dollars are calculated when a member changes a flight and pays the higher fare. Here is my scenario:

I purchased a o/w ticket SRQ-ORD in something like "S" class for $118.40 for May 8. I decided to move up my travel date to May 5. Using United.Com I found a flight on May 5, paid an additional $259 and my ticket was confirmed. The Confirmation Number did not change but I am not certain about the ticket number. I also purchased an upgrade for $129.

When I completed my trip, I received the following PQDs: SRQ-ORD= $245, Day of Departure Upgrade = $129. Total PQDs = $374. However, I would have thought some portion of the first ticket payment, i.e. $118.40 would have been included in the total PQDs. Clearly it was not. Is this a valid point and should I escalate it to United ?
In an up-fare scenario like you're describing, the entire amount should be eligible for PQPs, less taxes and fees (note -- PQDs have gone away, but they're functionally the same in this case). If travel is complete on the ticket -- there are no remaining unflown segments -- then you should contact UA for a correction. (Based on your statement that this was a one-way ticket, that seems to be the case).
Old May 12, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by jsloan
In an up-fare scenario like you're describing, the entire amount should be eligible for PQPs, less taxes and fees (note -- PQDs have gone away, but they're functionally the same in this case). If travel is complete on the ticket -- there are no remaining unflown segments -- then you should contact UA for a correction. (Based on your statement that this was a one-way ticket, that seems to be the case).
Hi Jsloan ,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I will contact United. Now that I am not a 1K, not sure who/where I send my thoughts.
Old May 12, 2021, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpicur
Hi Jsloan ,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I will contact United. Now that I am not a 1K, not sure who/where I send my thoughts.
All Premier members may use Premier Voice: https://united.com/premiervoice

I don't know if there's an associated email address or not, but the web contact form should work. If you get redirected to your account page after logging in, try going to the link again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.