Biz Class to SE Asia; 180K mi each way?!? Help

Old Oct 23, 19, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Airlines
Biz Class to SE Asia; 180K mi each way?!? Help

Ok I see that all flight on the UA site are listed as 180K miles each way...
"Is the joke on me" or what? Is there another way to use my UA miles via another carrier?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: I am planning to depart anytime, literally anytime this upcoming SPR/SUMMER. I am UA 1K. if this helps.
Old Oct 23, 19, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by A350wing View Post
Ok I see that all flight on the UA site are listed as 180K miles each way...
"Is the joke on me" or what? Is there another way to use my UA miles via another carrier?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: I am planning to depart anytime, literally anytime this upcoming SPR/SUMMER. I am UA 1K. if this helps.
Welcome to the new world of United dynamic pricing...Massive devaluation.

There are options that will price out at ~90,000 miles, but they need to be on Star Alliance partners, not United flights.
The only way to find them is using United's website, and poke around until you find them.

Tip is to search only to/from hubs to find the available flights, then add connectors to see what it does with the cost.
Might be better off booking connecting flights separately, either award or pay, but that opens you up with no irrops protect. So be careful.
A350wing likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Welcome to the new world of United dynamic pricing...Massive devaluation.

There are options that will price out at ~90,000 miles, but they need to be on Star Alliance partners, not United flights.
The only way to find them is using United's website, and poke around until you find them.

Tip is to search only to/from hubs to find the available flights, then add connectors to see what it does with the cost.
Might be better off booking connecting flights separately, either award or pay, but that opens you up with no irrops protect. So be careful.

Thank you goodeats21; This is all very helpful info. Fly the friendly skies, I guess. Or status match with Delta someday!
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
What are your actual constraints? On literally my very first try, I found a flight to BKK for 90k one-way (the standard Saver price). SFO-ICN-BKK on 07-April. I see 90k or better several days every week in the full calendar, with CA F available almost all other days.

There is plenty of saver space out there if you just look.. or you can hop over to Delta, home of the million-mile awards.

(Also, I might need to call that the second ICN flight is going to be toast... way too much IN on that route right now.)
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

I will need to remove my originating leg from the search and try using SFO, ORD, IAH or DEN.
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP
I will need to remove my originating leg from the search and try using SFO, ORD, IAH or DEN.
Yep that's going to become more and more important. Just buy the domestic leg using cash seperately if you have to. You can also force it to price with a multi city option which is most likely cheaper than the domestic married with the international.
A350wing likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
The "everyday" award to SE Asia is180k. Saver space TPAC has gotten increasingly difficult to find (and is simply nonexistent on many dates). That's just the reality of redeeming with UA these days..
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think the "cash positioning flight" advice is a little premature. For starters, at least zero in on a date with overwater space you know exists, and try to search for the whole itinerary. Then it's worth trying to get an agent to tack on a UA flight to the beginning if that's needed. If all else fails, you can split-ticket position, but that's an expensive and risky option which is usually not necessary. (Especially if you are a 1K and can HUCA.)
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:23 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Gold Elite
Yes. Check from the hubs...you can get biz class to Asia for half that on BR or NH, where you will enjoy:

-Superior service
-Better food
-Wonderful FA's that will be nice to you
-5 star airlines
kittiyut and A350wing like this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Thank you goodeats21; This is all very helpful info. Fly the friendly skies, I guess. Or status match with Delta someday!

What's a delta award these days to SE Asia, 300k? Hate to break it to you, but in that regard, the grass ain't greener

Edit: I checked DTW to BKK...285-330 thousand miles one way.
FlytheTail, SFHokie and nexusCFX like this.

Last edited by BThumme; Oct 23, 19 at 3:47 pm
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
What's a delta award these days to SE Asia, 300k? Hate to break it to you, but in that regard, the grass ain't greener

Yes, I test drove Delta this year and the SkyPesos are WORTHLESS
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Exactly. Recently checked delta for a one way to LHR and they wanted 500K for business, RT was 330k. UA wanted 144k OW and 280k RT for Polaris.
Old Oct 23, 19, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
The days when UA miles could relatively easily be redeemed for long-haul premium cabin on *A partners are long gone. Nowadays those redemptions are either a unicorn, or bookable only within a week or two of departure.

Most of my UA redemptions lately are intra-Asia, intra-Europe, and 10k domestic saver economy. I'm even considering a 175k everyday award NRT-SFO.

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 View Post
Yes, I test drove Delta this year and the SkyPesos are WORTHLESS
I've had some decent DL partner J redemptions in recent years, including CI to SE Asia for 95k, and KE intra-Asia for 40k.
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 5:54 pm

Programs: Yes

DL lowest international biz class awards have a 90-day advance purchase requirement (60-day for partner awards). If you are just searching random dates without understanding the advance purchase requirements, you will only see very high levels. DL low-level to Northern Asia is 120K on DL metal and 85K on partners. SE Asia is currently 135K on DL and same 85K on partners (yes, I was able to find DTW-BKK for 135K). Yes, they are still not very low. Partner awards are clearly the better value, but challenging to find from Eastern US. SFO and SEA gateways generally have much better availability on partners to Asia. Just correcting the random mileage amounts that keep getting posted on FT from people who are clearly unfamiliar with the requirements..
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 23, 19 at 6:29 pm
Old Oct 23, 19, 6:38 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 View Post
Yes. Check from the hubs...you can get biz class to Asia for half that on BR or NH, where you will enjoy:

-Superior service
-Better food
-Wonderful FA's that will be nice to you
-5 star airlines
BR can be found T-3/4 with essentially unlimited availability from SEA. And of course the product is at a level that United will never reach.

Search this Thread