We just got #OSCARED !

Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:07 pm
app
Original Poster

We just got #OSCARED !

The same way that folks have made #Bonvoyed a mark against Marriott, we should come up with a hashtag like #Oscared to refer to how awful United has been treating its elites. Especially with the new elite requirements for 2020/2021, which only reward a small minority flying on corporate contracts (and do nothing for personal loyalty).
akhibhag, pviri and am1108 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
I think ou mean WeGotScottKirbyed......
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Too bad I'm not allowed to use the actual words in my mind to describe this thread.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 23, 2019 at 12:13 am Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Kirb your Enthusiasm?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by app
...how awful United has been treating its elites.....
Some elites are going to fare better under new system than others. Just because you’re in the “others” doesn’t mean all elites are treated “awful”. UA thinks the number of Premiers will stay the same and what will happen is more of a re-shuffling to get the benefits to those who UA thinks should get ‘em.

Some Premiers are going to go better under the new scheme - they’ll like be “Oscared”. Other will do worse, so being “Oscared” is bad.

Smisek’s actions affected everyone (eg miserable operations reliability post-merger). Getting “Smiseked” hit everyone, Premiers and not.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 22, 2019 at 8:20 pm
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
The Bonvoy devaluations hurt everyone - The new Premier changes does not. It will hurt some and reward some. I don't see a similarity
Ari, SteveHK, getagb and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I haven't been "Bonvoyed" at all. The transition was a success by and large for me. All night credits and points conversion came in without any hiccup. I am 4 nights away from renewing Plat for next year, and even with the devaluation, MR is still a great currency to have, given its vast amount of transfer partners. Sure, SPG was better, but you play the hands you are dealt with. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to stay put.

Same with United. I have a plan for next year, and if all goes well, I would be spending less; while retaining the same status as I have now.
st3, SFHokie, seat38a and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Which Oscar is being referred to here?? I’m just asking.....
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
It’s amazing how a few months of not flying - and a couple of years beyond chasing status - puts life into perspective.

I come back and read some threads and realize that I, too, once put so much focus on elite status. Life is really and truly so much better without the stress.
Asknorm, rch4u, lhrsfo and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
The UA change is just increasing spend requirements on all tiers. Bonvoy was a whole different level of debacle on combining SPG/Marriott Rewards for all members, which resulted in devaluing points, stripping benefits, new tiers, new qualification requirements along with a slew of IT issues. I was lucky my Bonvoy transition went smoothly, along with preemptively taking screenshots of all my points activity to make sure I got my LT status. I'm not too worried about this UA change besides just reshuffling some of my flying patterns.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The Bonvoy devaluations hurt everyone
Not true at all. Just like the United changes, Bonvoy benefited some, hurt others, and was neutral for the vast majority of customers.
gmt4 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not true at all. Just like the United changes, Bonvoy benefited some, hurt others, and was neutral for the vast majority of customers.
I would say the population is skewed to the hurt side in this forum, due to the changes in the UA-MR relationship. I for one found that to hurt just a bit - now the focus of my spend goes to IHG/MR/Hilton/Hyatt instead of just Marriott. The place I go just don't allow for one chain to move into the upper tiers. I wish it was neutral.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
I'm essentially being Oscared or Kirby'd, but I'm used to it now. I'm a leisure traveler, spending my own money. I fly just over 100k a year. I used to be 1k for several years in a row then came the spend requirement and I could only get to platinum. Now, I'm not sure I'll even make gold in the new system. My only saving grace is making million miler in 2020. I'll likely drop my United Chase card and fly other Star Alliance airlines for all my tpac's in the future.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:22 pm

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but there will be a whole segment of frequent traveller who will go from having some status 2020 to no status in 2021. They may be correct that the number of Premier 1Ks and Platinums will drop but they will be surprised to see how many lowly Silvers and Golds disappear after responding to these enhancements. Meanwhile DL **knocks on wood** still is based entirely on miles flown and doesn't have any silly dollar spend requirement for international members.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Gabdawg
I'm essentially being Oscared or Kirby'd, but I'm used to it now. I'm a leisure traveler, spending my own money. I fly just over 100k a year. I used to be 1k for several years in a row then came the spend requirement and I could only get to platinum. Now, I'm not sure I'll even make gold in the new system. My only saving grace is making million miler in 2020. I'll likely drop my United Chase card and fly other Star Alliance airlines for all my tpac's in the future.
This is 150% logical. UA has calculated that they will get more margin and/or revs by finding the other customer. Let's see who wins. I honestly don't know.
Silver Fox likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.