We just got #OSCARED !

Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:09 pm

so for your specific flight, there was probably a last minute mechanical and rather than cancel the flight they got another plane to fly it. Would you have rather they cancel the flight? Not clear what you’re suggesting. For that you’re going to go to QR, which is always 10 across in economy in 777 and always has a layover versus a nonstop flight? And you feel like this was some conspiracy by Oscar himself to screw yuh over? Ok. Makes sense.

Originally Posted by leonidas
I have been flying EWR-DEL on 772 in 3-3-3- configuration in Y for ~4 times/ year for 9 years. Just got Oscared this week from an E+ aisle seat to E- middle (3-4-3) due to a last minute aircraft swap to the 772 v5 polaris. Flight was completed full and they couldn't move me. Thanks Oscar. It's Qatar for me from the next time.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by jasondc
so for your specific flight, there was probably a last minute mechanical and rather than cancel the flight they got another plane to fly it. Would you have rather they cancel the flight?
Absolutely! As a *Gold he would then be entitled to free hotel, meals, airport voucher, etc. Alternatively, when UA did the aircraft swap their system could've figured out a way to not put this elite in an E- middle seat. You can't say with a straight face that there wasn't enough E+ seats to go around, never mind for elites that are entitled to it to begin with and carry a higher priority over FOTSGs.

Originally Posted by jasondc
Not clear what you’re suggesting. For that you’re going to go to QR, which is always 10 across in economy in 777 and always has a layover versus a nonstop flight? And you feel like this was some conspiracy by Oscar himself to screw yuh over? Ok. Makes sense.
Death by 1000 cuts. First dynamic award bookings, then status accrual, now UA being unable to honour seat reservations. Everyone has their breaking point, it's just a matter of when. I hope OP finds an airline that works for them!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Originally Posted by j2simpso
AC P fares net 200% RDM
150%, according to this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by bart889
150%, according to this.
Uhhh that's Aeroplan you're talking about. We're talking about UA and their milage program (at least now) clearly states that AC P fares earn 200% RDM :

Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely! As a *Gold he would then be entitled to free hotel, meals, airport voucher, etc. Alternatively, when UA did the aircraft swap their system could've figured out a way to not put this elite in an E- middle seat. You can't say with a straight face that there wasn't enough E+ seats to go around, never mind for elites that are entitled to it to begin with and carry a higher priority over FOTSGs.
I imagine that if the OP would have preferred to take an entire day's delay, UA would have been happy to make the necessary flight change.

As for what one can or cannot say "with a straight face," the 9-across configurations have between 72-113 E+ seats. The Polaris configuration has 46, plus 24 P+ seats. So, yes, I can say with a straight face that there weren't enough E+ seats to go around.

I'm not saying that UA does a good job with plane swaps -- it doesn't. But without knowing the way the passengers broke down on any particular flight, there's just no way to know.

Death by 1000 cuts. First dynamic award bookings, then status accrual, now UA being unable to honour seat reservations. Everyone has their breaking point, it's just a matter of when. I hope OP finds an airline that works for them!
UA's inability to honor seat reservations isn't a new thing. There's a thread on this that goes back years, even absent the mess that a configuration change causes.

I'm not saying UA is a great airline, but I do agree that it seems a little silly to move to QR due to 10-across Y.when nearly every QR configuration is also 10-across (although 10-across on an A380 is better than 10-across on a 777, if OP happens to be traveling an A380 route).
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by zrs70
It’s amazing how a few months of not flying - and a couple of years beyond chasing status - puts life into perspective.

I come back and read some threads and realize that I, too, once put so much focus on elite status. Life is really and truly so much better without the stress.
so true, I feel the same. I walked away at the last increase in $ requirements and now I’m even more glad I did. I still fly ua when there’s a long haul nonstop, and I get to spend tod when I feel like an upgrade. if there’s a better flight on a competitor I take that. I guess ua knows what they’re doing, but it sure seems to me that the point of a ff program is to attract discretionary spending, not reward those who were going to be on your ac anyway.

Otherwise I’m on southwest for western us flights, flying out of an airport ten minutes from my house. Just got a list preferred and a companion pass, which has been great. And now I don’t spend all the time scheming for status and upgrades. What a relief the fever passed, I’m free.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Plt HertzpresC Avisfirst
The timing of this is definitely very well calculated. In my opinion, UA really upgraded the Business class experience and product. The Polaris lounge is one of my favorite pre long haul flight lounges. They did partially up their product before they pulled this.
Being Canada based right now, this will make me fly more with AC. More direct flights! Will keep my fingers crossed they don't screw million milers as im almost 800k.
Hope this will open up the door to more competition in the industry.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goodtimes321
Being Canada based right now, this will make me fly more with AC. More direct flights! Will keep my fingers crossed they don't screw million milers as im almost 800k.
Note that you’re going to have to make a choice: flights on AC won’t count toward Million Miler status.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:00 pm

Oh brother.

#DealWithIt
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:56 pm

Thanks for that! I would have not noticed until they were not posting.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Note that you’re going to have to make a choice: flights on AC won’t count toward Million Miler status.
Thanks for that! I would have not noticed until they were not posting.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
The trade-off that many of us have accepted over the years is an inferior international product (UA) in exchange for GPUs, a reasonable shot at CPUs, and various other benes (including particularly in my case free award changes/cancels). Pull those benefits, and the equation no longer works for me.
UA’s international product, when I get a bird with the new Polaris seats, is often the best nonstop option for me out of O’Hare.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Thanks to living next to a fourth world airport.(PHL) I have to make at least one connect to get anywhere I need to. So positioning to catch a Polaris bird is normal for me. Having to do that I rack up segments (and spend) that I would not have being at a hub. Have I been #OSCARED ? No. Have I ever been less than satisfied, Ah yes more than once. Will these new changes cause me to change my habits? Probably not but definitely not until I see how they work out for me.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Some elites are going to fare better under new system than others. Just because you’re in the “others” doesn’t mean all elites are treated “awful”. UA thinks the number of Premiers will stay the same and what will happen is more of a re-shuffling to get the benefits to those who UA thinks should get ‘em.

Some Premiers are going to go better under the new scheme - they’ll like be “Oscared”. Other will do worse, so being “Oscared” is bad.

Smisek’s actions affected everyone (eg miserable operations reliability post-merger). Getting “Smiseked” hit everyone, Premiers and not.
This.

I love the new system. It means I get better service and people like the OP stop flying United.

Everyone wins!
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by getagb
UA’s international product, when I get a bird with the new Polaris seats, is often the best nonstop option for me out of O’Hare.
That's what they're relying on: pay a hefty premium to fly a decent product nonstop in J.

I currently have 5 future R/T trips booked with non-UA, non-Star Alliance carriers USA-China in J for a grand total of ~$7'250.00.
These are one-stop travel vs. UA mostly non-stop, and out of JFK & ORD instead of EWR.

I'd likely still prefer UA overall for my travel pattern, providing I'd have the 1K benefits. Just not worth it though with no, or only 40 PlusPoints.

Won't make 1K for 2021 so will likely use up all the GPUs in 2020 for the rest of the year's travel,
ending up with something like 12 to 14 J R/T tickets USA-China for around $16000 total spend in 2020, instead of exclusive UA tickets of 8 to 10 J R/T USA-China + 2 to 4 E R/T USA-China for a total UA spend of up to ~$20000/year in the past.

Certainly will be glad to get rid of the "W-fare-upgrade-lottery-nail-biting" experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.