Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Luggage Handlers Loading Luggage After Pushback

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

Yesterday on flight UA562, DEN - SNA, I saw a baggage cart rush out to the plane after we pushed back from the gate and waiting to start the engines. The cargo door was opened and more bags were loaded. On this flight, we also had a 10min delay for the "Save the Day" connecting passengers but arrived at SNA on time. First time I've seen something like this happen, but what was more interesting was the positive reaction from the passengers in the cabin when they saw all of the last minute luggage loading commotion.

Is loading bags like this something new or has this always been going on? I'm guessing the last minute bag was for the "Save the Day" passengers.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by seat38a
Yesterday on flight UA562, DEN - SNA, I saw a baggage cart rush out to the plane after we pushed back from the gate and waiting to start the engines. The cargo door was opened and more bags were loaded. On this flight, we also had a 10min delay for the "Save the Day" connecting passengers but arrived at SNA on time. First time I've seen something like this happen, but what was more interesting was the positive reaction from the passengers in the cabin when they saw all of the last minute luggage loading commotion.

Is loading bags like this something new or has this always been going on? I'm guessing the last minute bag was for the "Save the Day" passengers.
I've seen it several times over many years.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I’ve seen it happen twice on the same flight on DL at ATL.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:53 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Interesting. Didn't know it was so common. Who decides to open the cargo hold again after pushback vs just having a misconnected bag?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Interesting. Didn't know it was so common. Who decides to open the cargo hold again after pushback vs just having a misconnected bag?
Likely the Captain would make the final say.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I'm guessing the airport zone controller. The quote below is the job description from a publicly-available UA posting:

Serves as the primary zone activity management control and oversight, Pro actively monitors the flow of aircraft arrival and departure processes during a shift with other operating organizations to achieve optimum operational performance and support of the Core4 Initiatives.
  • Receive operational turnover from previous shift, prioritize and develop tactical plan to address all issues in area of responsibility
  • Monitor inbound flight activity and communicate irregularities; Tracking of arrivals into gates to insure flights are met and PLB’s are brought to A/C within time standards
  • Identify, preplan and manage the execution and decision points of all planeside activities including baggage processes, customer boarding, fueling, catering, tech ops, and general aircraft servicing for all flights within established reliability goals; document and escalate critical issues
  • Identify and communicate operational updates for key departures/arrivals STAR, Priority, MST Critical, red zone, etc.
  • Security Check Validation; Validate A/C that require security checks prior to boarding and departure have been properly completed and documented
  • Identify, preplan and manage all irregularities such as MST, weight restrictions, critical, cancelled flights, gate changes, ATC/WX, medical emergencies, major/minor flight alerts, tech ops, vendor, facility, customer and ramp staffing and process issues
  • Coordinate logistics for customer or employee injuries and aircraft damages or intervene where applicable with appropriate personnel
  • Monitor/answer all area radio channel and phone calls pertaining to operational area of responsibility and give appropriate guidance and leadership ensuring consistent operational safety, and service reliability
  • Proactively manage gate holds in area of responsibility with respect to departure sequencing. Communicate to Gate Manager’s deviations to planned departure or may impact departure of flight for gate planning
  • Timely delay coding and delay resolution with area leadership. Provide feedback and trend analysis on operational performance, research delays with area supervisor for root cause analysis and resolve disputes; Identify changes required to prevent future delays
  • Develop and support standard work and continuous improvement processes
  • Develop and support standard work and continuous improvement processes
  • Other assignments and collaterals as directed by departmental and hub leadership

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.