Searching for multiple stops (segment run)

Old Oct 21, 19, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Searching for multiple stops (segment run)

I need another 12 segments this year in addition to my regular business flights (which I can't alter) to maintain 1K. Does anyone know of a way to search for flights that have multiple stops/layovers? I'd like to knock the 12 segments out in 3 round trip flights each having earned 2 segments each way, or more if possible. Using United or Google flights I don't see a way to exclude direct flights from the search. I'm based out of IAH and have a flexible schedule. I would very much appreciate your advice. Thank you.
Old Oct 21, 19, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM (soon to be Gold), Hertz PC
You could fly out of CLL, but that might get expensive, especially if you go to another small airport.
If you search on united.com, you can select to search only for 2+ connections.
Old Oct 21, 19, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
You could fly out of CLL, but that might get expensive, especially if you go to another small airport.
If you search on united.com, you can select to search only for 2+ connections.
Right - just reverse the sort United gives you for results to show the most connections first. Or just uncheck the box.

With two connections each direction you could do it in two flights.

BTW, for your planned flights, can you do same-day-confirmed to add some stops? I'm assuming your restriction on changes is a result of corporate ticketing?
Old Oct 21, 19, 11:05 am
Original Poster

That's a brilliant idea reversing the search results, I would have never thought of it. If I use United's website I have to enter a specific destination, and that's where I'm at a loss. With Google Flights I can use their map, however I can't search excluding non-stop flights.

Knowing that I can do a reverse sort on United, how should I go about choosing a destination?

Yes, due to corporate ticketing and a timeline while traveling for business I'm unable to add a stop. That certainly would solve my trouble. Next year should be interesting, I qualify for 1K hitting the 120 segments and that's is dropping but the dollar value spent is increasing. Only time will tell.

I did find a flight to HNL and back that would give me 6 segments, I'll be dead when I get home though. :-)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 21, 19 at 1:08 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 21, 19, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by pecck View Post
I did find a flight to HNL and back that would give me 6 segments, I'll be dead when I get home though. :-)
Not bad, but for that price, you could probably find a trip that is shorter.

For $280 r/t, on November 6th (the date you used), you can fly IAH-xxx-ORD and back roundtrip much quicker. XXX being CLE,DCA, IAD and DEN among others. 3 of those works out better than 2 of those HNL trips.

EDIT: in my example it looks like a single segment on the return, so it would require an extra set of flights, so not as appealing as first thought.

Last edited by BThumme; Oct 21, 19 at 11:44 am
Old Oct 21, 19, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
Not bad, but for that price, you could probably find a trip that is shorter.

For $280 r/t, on November 6th (the date you used), you can fly IAH-xxx-ORD and back roundtrip much quicker. XXX being CLE,DCA, IAD and DEN among others. 3 of those works out better than 2 of those HNL trips.

EDIT: in my example it looks like a single segment on the return, so it would require an extra set of flights, so not as appealing as first thought.
Thank you for the help, I do appreciate spending less time away from home for something like this, but it also gives me comfort knowing that if there are any delays United has to figure it out and not me. I'm not looking forward to this, but it looks like I'll be booking two of these trips, one on the 13th of November getting back on the 14th and another on the 19th of November getting back on the 20th. It'll be a grind, but I'll be done and will rack up a few amount of miles doing it. :-) . With any luck I'll get upgraded.
Old Oct 21, 19, 12:34 pm

Thank you for the help, I do appreciate spending less time away from home for something like this, but it also gives me comfort knowing that if there are any delays United has to figure it out and not me. I'm not looking forward to this, but it looks like I'll be booking two of these trips, one on the 13th of November getting back on the 14th and another on the 19th of November getting back on the 20th. It'll be a grind, but I'll be done and will rack up a few amount of miles doing it. :-) . With any luck I'll get upgraded.
If there are any delays at all, just ask to be rerouted home and ask for original routing credit.

Have you considered using United's same day confirmed change feature? If you are gold or above, you can try adding a segment during check in (or anytime before flight) throughout your trip. So maybe something like checking to turn SFO-HNL into SFO-LAX HNL.
Old Oct 21, 19, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

If there are any delays at all, just ask to be rerouted home and ask for original routing credit.

Have you considered using United's same day confirmed change feature? If you are gold or above, you can try adding a segment during check in (or anytime before flight) throughout your trip. So maybe something like checking to turn SFO-HNL into SFO-LAX HNL.
I have thought about adding a segment during check in, my only reservation is it isn't a sure thing and I'm not much of a gambling man :-)

Maybe when I was younger and didn't have a family I could jump around with last minute changes.
Old Oct 21, 19, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, United Plat (2018:Gold), Marriott Pyrite
I posted a six-segment $339 CLL-BUF a few weeks back (no idea if it's still available, though):
UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Something similar may work for you, try search between two airports that don't have a common hub.

Sorry I'm at work on my lunch break, so I don't have time to find you specific examples. You may want to post your request in that thread.
pecck likes this.

Last edited by wh6cto; Oct 21, 19 at 1:31 pm Reason: Added comment about unknown availability
Old Oct 21, 19, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by wh6cto View Post
I posted a six-segment $339 CLL-BUF a few weeks back (no idea if it's still available, though):

Something similar may work for you, try search between two airports that don't have a common hub.

Sorry I'm at work on my lunch break, so I don't have time to find you specific examples. You may want to post your request in that thread.
Cheapest I see for that is $482 if you look a week later on the 13th. Leave 6am, back at 1030 pm. Might be more attractive then the Hawaii option (depending on who you ask).

https://flights.app.goo.gl/jHm56

FNT Is another option at that price range.
pecck likes this.
Old Oct 21, 19, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Cheapest I see for that is $482 if you look a week later on the 13th. Leave 6am, back at 1030 pm. Might be more attractive then the Hawaii option (depending on who you ask).

This is a fantastic idea, albeit I'd need to be in CLL at 5:30am and I'm in IAH. Living at a United hub is both a blessing and a curse.

BTW I just wanted to thank everyone who posted an idea, I certainly do appreciate it.

Originally Posted by wh6cto View Post

In hindsight this is a pretty good solution, I checked a map and I'm only about 1:30 minutes away from CLL. Thanks for posting, I think this is a winner.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 21, 19 at 3:06 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 21, 19, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Use itasoftware and force a bunch of segments in the advanced routing options with "ua ua ua+"
Old Oct 21, 19, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Use itasoftware and force a bunch of segments in the advanced routing options with "ua ua ua+"
I'll have to play around with it, at first it doesn't seem very intuitive. It does look powerful though, thank you for sharing.

I booked the CLL - BUF flights on both Nov 12th and Nov 13th. I'll stay the night in College Park so I don't have to make the drive both days. Thanks again and wish me luck with the weather. $80/ segment seems like a good price to me.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 19 at 3:37 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 21, 19, 4:48 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy
The least costly connection I often see is SFO-LAX and vv. So not sure where you’re originating but something akin to MKE-ORD-SFO-LAX-SFO-ORD-MKE may give you an extra two-four segments for not too much extra $ if any.
Old Oct 21, 19, 8:30 pm

I'll have to play around with it, at first it doesn't seem very intuitive. It does look powerful though, thank you for sharing.
It is powerful, and it is not intuitive.

This thread has some good tips, although they don't come in any organised fashion.

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Several regulars here also give helpful feedback if you are trying something and not succeeding.

Search this Thread