Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Would you pay $673 more to sit in Polaris EWR-BOM RT over PP in my situation?

Would you pay $673 more to sit in Polaris EWR-BOM RT over PP in my situation?

Old Oct 21, 19, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by azfanboy View Post
Yes, I think 15 going and 16 coming back.
Think how annoyed you would be with yourself if you decline to purchase the upgrade now and then your upgrade doesn't clear for either of these long flights.....plus wouldn't it be nice not to worry about the upgrade from now until you board and to pick a nice seat now? There might even be a Polaris lounge or two in your future, to enjoy.
wrp96 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Oct 21, 19, 2:37 pm
Suspended

The ultimate question you should be asking yourself is would you be fine flying both segments in PY. GPU requests are just that, requests and aren't guaranteed either way. Looking at the United Upgrade offers spreadsheet, one-way upgrade offers at OLCI have never been below $1,000. If you then click on the GPU Upgrades tab of the spreadsheet there have been 3 reported successes, one which occurred during booking and 2 which occurred several days near OLCI (including one instance for a Global Services member).

My recommendation if you need to get Polaris for both segments would be to first see if you can get the GPUs to clear at booking. If not, then I would go ahead and buy the (presumably) P fares for BOM.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 21, 19, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yes. Every single time.
Old Oct 21, 19, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Think how annoyed you would be with yourself if you decline to purchase the upgrade now and then your upgrade doesn't clear for either of these long flights.....plus wouldn't it be nice not to worry about the upgrade from now until you board and to pick a nice seat now? There might even be a Polaris lounge or two in your future, to enjoy.
Yes I definitely would be, that's why my original thought was to buy an A fare to raise my odds for an upgrade. But after seeing the Polaris fare, so tempted to buy that and remove the upgrade anxiety for the ensuing 4 weeks.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 21, 19, 4:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
$3000 RT Polaris EWR-BOM is a total no-brainer!!!
Old Oct 21, 19, 6:06 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
$3000 RT Polaris EWR-BOM is a total no-brainer!!!
No brainer for those who can afford it and in biased world of FT....
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
No R space.

Yes, I think 15 going and 16 coming back.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks I know what I need to do.
My bad. Look for PZ - i'm thinking old school, R/RN
Old Oct 21, 19, 8:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Gold Elite
Is it worth $673 to forgo the stress of your upgrade clearing?
YES

I have flown from Dulles to Delhi in non-Polaris J and I wanted to die. I would pay much more than that for a sure thing. I cannot imagine doing 14-16 hours in anything other than lie-flat Biz on a UA plane.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 4:10 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by ani90 View Post
I take it you don't think it's worth the extra $653, then?
Old Oct 22, 19, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
I take it you don't think it's worth the extra $653, then?
I do think it is worth it but a) I can afford it and b) I live in the biased world of FT. Otherwise I would probably either bank the cash, or, if I felt like spoiling myself, spend the money on a better hotel and nice restaurants when I get to my destination.....
Old Oct 22, 19, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
across all airlines.. remember UG are not a sure thing.
$3068 RT to BOM is a no brainer ...
I am usually paying $3500 out of ATL to BOM. (on OW)
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K IHG Plat Elite
No brainer

Iíve flown that flights a number of times. 14+ hrs going and 15+ on the return. Paying that difference is a no brainer. Not just for peace of mind, but also for the rat race that is the Mumbai airport. U would be one of the 1st passengers off the plane, (its a very long walk to immigration). And a much shorter business class line to clear immigration. On the return, u get GVK lounge as biz customer and a special line for security and immigration. That in its self is worth it. Didnít even mention the Polaris experience. Lol
get it done!!
Old Oct 22, 19, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Bought it! Just wanted to thank the FT community for giving me such a no nonsense message to get this done.
Old Oct 22, 19, 3:10 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by ani90 View Post
I'm not sure what the relevance of this comment is. The context here is comparing this P price versus the economy price + upgrade lottery for someone who can presumably afford it, or they wouldn't have asked anyone's opinion on which they should choose.
Old Oct 26, 19, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
I'm not sure what the relevance of this comment is. The context here is comparing this P price versus the economy price + upgrade lottery for someone who can presumably afford it, or they wouldn't have asked anyone's opinion on which they should choose.
Maybe so for some but in most lives the reality is not which is the cheaper way to pay for a J seat (in which case it certainly is a no-brainer). Indeed, that was not OPs question. OP was asking whether worth spending 673 to sit in J as opposed to PP. In that question there are two other factors (other than value of J over PP) - one's willingness to pay and the opportunity cost. There are other things competing for the 673 dollars and question for many is which has priority. There are many people who can afford to sit in J that at various times, some even most the time, sit in Y.

Search this Thread