Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Partner ticket PQP calculator
Partner Earning

Beginning in 2020, if you fly a partner airline (not UA metal) and your ticket is on the stock of another airline (not 016 ticket), you will earn PQP as a fraction of the distance flown. That fraction is determined by your fare class, and can be found in the tables below.
The way to derive this fraction is to go to the United earnings page for your airline and determine the RDM (not PQM) earning rate for your fare class. Then divide this number by 5 for "preferred partners" and 6 otherwise.
If the fare class of a non-016 *A partner flight allows RDM earnings (and therefore PQDs), the flight also earns Premier Qualifying Flight (PQF) credit.

Preferred Partner Airlines: AC AD AV CA CM EN EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN VA WK
Other Partner Airlines (status earning): A3 AI BR ET HO LO MS OA OU OZ SA SK SQ TG TK TP ZH
Other Partner Airlines (NO Premier credit): 3M 4B 9K EI HA UK VW

Note that for the third category you will earn RDM but no PQP, regardless of ticket stock (this is no change from before when you would not earn PQM).

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight {segment} on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.
UA Capping PQP Earn with Partners (update -- per flight segment)

Frequently Asked Questions
What if I fly a United-operated segment on a non-United ticket? You will earn PQP equal to the portion of the fare assignable to that segment. This information is transmitted from the ticketing carrier to United, and will be a somewhat arbitrary number between 0 and the full value of the fare component which includes that segment**. (This is the same as earning PQD on such a segment today.)

**Many reports of this not working even this well, and the potential number being outside this range.

What about codeshare segments? As before, codeshares do not matter. Only the operating carrier (metal) of each segment and the stock of the ticket determine your earnings.

How do I get a non-016 ticket? Any ticket purchased directly from another airline will be a partner-issued ticket, even if it has United segments. (Any ticket purchased from United will be an 016 ticket, even if it has no United segments.) Tickets purchased from an agency will usually have a stock of the marketing carrier of the most significant segment ("first long segment" usually).

What's the trick here? Because PQP are earned as a fraction of the distance flown, flying long distances on low-priced fares can earn more PQP than dollars spent. For any given journey, you should consider where you are earning a favorable ratio of PQP to dollars of at least 1.0 when ticketing this way, and consider ticketing with United if you are not.

What about BULK fares? Bulk fares will also earn PQP by distance, as noted in the table below. This is the only way to earn by distance on United metal.

Earnings Tables
Last updated in the image on 17-Nov-23.
To use: Determine the flight miles of your trip, then multiply by the applicable percentage based on the fare class of the ticket. That is your PQP for that segment. Example: 1000 mile flight on Air Canada booked in W fare code: PQP = 1000*.15=150).

Note that values >= 20% are rounded to the nearest 1%, and smaller values are rounded to the nearest 0.1%. If precise calculations are needed, you should always use the original source material (United website).

Star Alliance Airlines
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
Note: There are special rules for AC branded Economy fares on 014 tickets.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Other Partner Airlines (not Star Alliance)
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Updated PQP calculator with new per-segment earning cap
Originally Posted by kevflyer
I created a updated version of the PQP calculator to handle the upcoming per segment PQP earning limits. It also calculates RDM:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

More Information on earning PQP and PQF
Earning PQP on flights ticketed and operated by a Star Alliance Partner
Members can also earn Premier qualifying points on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines. Your PQP will be equal to award miles earned divided by 5 if you’re flying on a preferred partner; for other MileagePlus partner airlines, it will be award miles earned divided by 6.

Please note award miles is your base award miles earning plus your fare class bonus award miles earning, if eligible. Premier bonus miles earned are not included within this calculation and are ineligible for Premier qualifying points accrual.

For Star Alliance airlines as well as Air Dolomiti, Azul, Eurowings, Edelweiss, and Olympic:

Preferred partner PQP: Award miles divided by 5

MileagePlus partner PQP: Award miles divided by 6

For example, if you earned 360 award miles for your flight, you’ll receive 72 PQP if you flew with a preferred partner, and 60 PQP if you flew with a MileagePlus partner.

PQP Calculator with option to apply max PQP per flight:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.

For more information on PQP accrual for a specific airline, visit our airline partner pages.

Archive: Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2023, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: mileage plus

When is a flight/segment not a flight/segment? I've always taken it as gospel from much more experienced members that a segment is "one take-off and one landing."

Has this changed among some *A members. Exhibits: Itinerary for MNL-HKG-ADD (one flight number), and for ADD-DUB-YYZ (another flight number).

Yet when credited to my account, I received on 2 PQFs rather than the expected 4, and fewer PQPs.

Should I follow up on this with the 1k desk?

Old Jan 28, 2023, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dbulkeley
When is a flight/segment not a flight/segment? I've always taken it as gospel from much more experienced members that a segment is "one take-off and one landing."

Has this changed among some *A members. Exhibits: Itinerary for MNL-HKG-ADD (one flight number), and for ADD-DUB-YYZ (another flight number).

Yet when credited to my account, I received on 2 PQFs rather than the expected 4, and fewer PQPs.

Should I follow up on this with the 1k desk?
This credited correctly. It is a through flight with the same flight number and it credits as such. UA for UA-operated flights changed to counting this is a 2 PQF, but this is a recent change and UA only. Any other *A through flight AAA via BBB to CCC counts as AAA-CCC only for all intents and purposes.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If any more experienced member told you that, I’d question their experience.

cfischer is exactly correct — the accrual of multiple PQFs on UA through flights is brand new, and was incredibly surprising when it happened. As in, I confidently stated that the people who wrote the marketing materials didn’t know how their system worked — because they used that language, whereas the system hadn’t worked that way for at least two decades, if it ever did.

Has this changed among some *A members.
Yes: UA.

What you’re seeing here is a direct flight — a single flight number when an en route stop. In the early days of commercial aviation, they were incredibly common, as planes didn’t have the range for transcontinental flight, and the airlines needed to be able to pick up / drop off passengers along the way in order to sustain their business. Nowadays, they’re fairly rare, but there are still some well-known examples: UA flies the Island Hopper in Micronesia; AS has the Milk Run in southeast Alaska; SQ uses them extensively — JFK-FRA-SIN, IAH-MAN-SIN, SFO-HKG-SIN, LAX-NRT-SIN, IIRC.

Exhibits: Itinerary for MNL-HKG-ADD (one flight number), and for ADD-DUB-YYZ (another flight number).
Yep; ET uses them extensively too.

You could ask about the PQFs, but I wouldn’t expect to get anywhere. The argument would be “you say one PQF per takeoff and landing.” You’re very, very unlikely to get them to move on the PQPs.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Does anyone know if UA audits your other flight segments on the same ticket if you send in a request for mileage credit after IRROPS on a partner award ticket?

I had a 014 (AC) stock award ticket that was rebooked into one AC segment in P and one UA segment in D. I got credit for the UA flight, but not for the AC flight. I realize I am kind of pushing it, but I want the RDMs from the AC segment without jeopardizing the earnings I got for the UA segment.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Santander
Does anyone know if UA audits your other flight segments on the same ticket if you send in a request for mileage credit after IRROPS on a partner award ticket?

I had a 014 (AC) stock award ticket that was rebooked into one AC segment in P and one UA segment in D. I got credit for the UA flight, but not for the AC flight. I realize I am kind of pushing it, but I want the RDMs from the AC segment without jeopardizing the earnings I got for the UA segment.
I mean it's an award ticket so shouldn't have credited anything in the first place. Playing with fire having them take a closer look and might end up losing all the credit when they identify it was an award ticket.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Santander

Well, since it's a partner flight you want credit for, the partner would have to approve it. And since AC knows it was an award ticket, they're not going to pay UA for any miles, so you're not going to get any miles. You're not just looking a gift horse in the mouth, you're demanding a bridle and saddle be thrown in too.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:17 pm

I have 2 upcoming long haul trips, and could not find what the PQP earnedwould be for my LH flight.

i found this calculator,and the result was favorable !

https://pqp.economiles.com/?q=MCO,FR...RA,,,&status=1

has anyone used this and is it reliable?

My apolgies someone referenced it a couple of pages ago and I missed it

So I did the math and unless I book another flight I will be 125 PQP short of maintaining status. Any suggestions? I am new to this.

if I upgrade to booked Y on UA or LH flights that are economy (class E and V)would that do it?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 9, 2023 at 10:17 pm Reason: Merged update posts by member
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by amaio
So I did the math and unless I book another flight I will be 125 PQP short of maintaining status. Any suggestions? I am new to this.

if I upgrade to booked Y on UA or LH flights that are economy (class E and V)would that do it?
For UA tix, you need to spend another $125 of base fare (not taxes). If you go with LH and it's an LH-issued ticket then the PQP you earn depend on the length of the route you are flying and the fare class.

Either way, since it's nly February you've got quite bit of time to earn the additional PQP to maintain status.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Either way, since it's nly February you've got quite bit of time to earn the additional PQP to maintain status.
Sounds like the other poster may be on some kind of status challenge; otherwise the February cutoff date seems out of place.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Sounds like the other poster may be on some kind of status challenge; otherwise the February cutoff date seems out of place.
Indeed -- hadn't thought of that. If that is the case, this handy tool for calculating partner-ticketed UA-PQP earning culd be useful.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amaio

Careful here.

1 - If this is some kind of status challenge, it's common for those to require travel on UA.
2 - The calculator is only valid for flights that are neither operated nor ticketed by UA. If you bought your flights from United, you'll earn based upon the fare you paid, not the value in the calculator.
3 - Make sure you have the correct operating airline. I don't believe LH actually flies the MCO-FRA route; I think that's EuroWings Discover. So that's 4Y, not LH. (It doesn't look like that changes the number of PQP but it does change the number of redeemable miles you get).
4 - Qualifying for status under UA's regular rules requires at least four UA-operated segments each year.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:38 pm
NKT

Programs: United
Hi, I want to make sure I understand PQP earning on partner airlines. I'm looking at IAD to BKK and have the option of flying ANA in N Class for $2,085 and a mileage earn of 12,420, according to the ANA site.
From reading the mileage plus site, N class on ANA is 100% mileage earn so PQP will be 12,420/5 = 2484. Is that correct?
As it gives me more PQP for my dollars, I'm considering taking the flight but I don't want to get it wrong. I understand I won't earn MM miles on United.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by NKT
Hi, I want to make sure I understand PQP earning on partner airlines. I'm looking at IAD to BKK and have the option of flying ANA in N Class for $2,085 and a mileage earn of 12,420, according to the ANA site.
From reading the mileage plus site, N class on ANA is 100% mileage earn so PQP will be 12,420/5 = 2484. Is that correct?
As it gives me more PQP for my dollars, I'm considering taking the flight but I don't want to get it wrong. I understand I won't earn MM miles on United.
Looks right, maybe a little higher in PQP earning. IAD to Tokyo would be capped to 750 PQP each way, Tokyo to BKK would be around 600 PQP each way.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NKT
Accrual is per the UA rules, not NH rules. N class earns 100% on UA. So it's 100% of miles flown divided by 5, with a cap of 750 PQP per flight. Assuming you're flying through NRT, this would be (approx) 6753 + 2889, or 750 + 578 PQP, for a total of 1,328 each direction.

This assumes NH ticket. On a UA ticket, you'll earn per the fare paid.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:54 pm
NKT

Programs: United
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.