Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Partner ticket PQP calculator
Partner Earning

Beginning in 2020, if you fly a partner airline (not UA metal) and your ticket is on the stock of another airline (not 016 ticket), you will earn PQP as a fraction of the distance flown. That fraction is determined by your fare class, and can be found in the tables below.
The way to derive this fraction is to go to the United earnings page for your airline and determine the RDM (not PQM) earning rate for your fare class. Then divide this number by 5 for "preferred partners" and 6 otherwise.
If the fare class of a non-016 *A partner flight allows RDM earnings (and therefore PQDs), the flight also earns Premier Qualifying Flight (PQF) credit.

Preferred Partner Airlines: AC AD AV CA CM EN EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN VA WK
Other Partner Airlines (status earning): A3 AI BR ET HO LO MS OA OU OZ SA SK SQ TG TK TP ZH
Other Partner Airlines (NO Premier credit): 3M 4B 9K EI HA UK VW

Note that for the third category you will earn RDM but no PQP, regardless of ticket stock (this is no change from before when you would not earn PQM).

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight {segment} on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.
UA Capping PQP Earn with Partners (update -- per flight segment)

Frequently Asked Questions
What if I fly a United-operated segment on a non-United ticket? You will earn PQP equal to the portion of the fare assignable to that segment. This information is transmitted from the ticketing carrier to United, and will be a somewhat arbitrary number between 0 and the full value of the fare component which includes that segment**. (This is the same as earning PQD on such a segment today.)

**Many reports of this not working even this well, and the potential number being outside this range.

What about codeshare segments? As before, codeshares do not matter. Only the operating carrier (metal) of each segment and the stock of the ticket determine your earnings.

How do I get a non-016 ticket? Any ticket purchased directly from another airline will be a partner-issued ticket, even if it has United segments. (Any ticket purchased from United will be an 016 ticket, even if it has no United segments.) Tickets purchased from an agency will usually have a stock of the marketing carrier of the most significant segment ("first long segment" usually).

What's the trick here? Because PQP are earned as a fraction of the distance flown, flying long distances on low-priced fares can earn more PQP than dollars spent. For any given journey, you should consider where you are earning a favorable ratio of PQP to dollars of at least 1.0 when ticketing this way, and consider ticketing with United if you are not.

What about BULK fares? Bulk fares will also earn PQP by distance, as noted in the table below. This is the only way to earn by distance on United metal.

Earnings Tables
Last updated in the image on 17-Nov-23.
To use: Determine the flight miles of your trip, then multiply by the applicable percentage based on the fare class of the ticket. That is your PQP for that segment. Example: 1000 mile flight on Air Canada booked in W fare code: PQP = 1000*.15=150).

Note that values >= 20% are rounded to the nearest 1%, and smaller values are rounded to the nearest 0.1%. If precise calculations are needed, you should always use the original source material (United website).

Star Alliance Airlines
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
Note: There are special rules for AC branded Economy fares on 014 tickets.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Other Partner Airlines (not Star Alliance)
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Updated PQP calculator with new per-segment earning cap
Originally Posted by kevflyer
I created a updated version of the PQP calculator to handle the upcoming per segment PQP earning limits. It also calculates RDM:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

More Information on earning PQP and PQF
Earning PQP on flights ticketed and operated by a Star Alliance Partner
Members can also earn Premier qualifying points on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines. Your PQP will be equal to award miles earned divided by 5 if youíre flying on a preferred partner; for other MileagePlus partner airlines, it will be award miles earned divided by 6.

Please note award miles is your base award miles earning plus your fare class bonus award miles earning, if eligible. Premier bonus miles earned are not included within this calculation and are ineligible for Premier qualifying points accrual.

For Star Alliance airlines as well as Air Dolomiti, Azul, Eurowings, Edelweiss, and Olympic:

Preferred partner PQP: Award miles divided by 5

MileagePlus partner PQP: Award miles divided by 6

For example, if you earned 360 award miles for your flight, youíll receive 72 PQP if you flew with a preferred partner, and 60 PQP if you flew with a MileagePlus partner.

PQP Calculator with option to apply max PQP per flight:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.

For more information on PQP accrual for a specific airline, visit our airline partner pages.

Archive: Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Old Jul 27, 2023, 8:25 am

As usual, I am confused.

I want to book several non-016 tickets via the airline's sites (not an OTA).

For recent trips on SK and LH, I received PQPs as I thought - GCM/5 or 6 dependent on the airline. But for a recent trip on SQ, I received nothing (not even PQFs). While I didn't book the cheapest economy fare on SQ, it still fell into booking class O, which seems to earn 0 for the UA program.

PQPs outweigh earning RDMs for me. How do I check a booking class prior to actually making the purchase? I don't want to make another mistake.

Thank you!
Old Jul 27, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by lamphs
As usual, I am confused.

For recent trips on SK and LH, I received PQPs as I thought - GCM/5 or 6 dependent on the airline. But for a recent trip on SQ, I received nothing (not even PQFs). While I didn't book the cheapest economy fare on SQ, it still fell into booking class O, which seems to earn 0 for the UA program.

PQPs outweigh earning RDMs for me. How do I check a booking class prior to actually making the purchase? I don't want to make another mistake.

Thank you!
ironically, SQ is one of the few airlines that makes it easy to find the fare booking class. you have to click on view details (Iím seeing it on the passengers section right now, but Iím sure it pops up in other places during the booking flow) and it will list the booking class next to the class of service. hope that helps!
SPN Lifer and lamphs like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
As usual, I am confused.

Thank you!
You can use ITA matrix and pull up the fare, which has the fare rules and ticketing code.

Use of OTA and airline sites make no differences as long as the ticketing correspond to the same fare.

If your fare earns nothing, then credit to someone else.
SPN Lifer and lamphs like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 12:40 pm

Now I am following?

For example, IAD-SJO, via PTY, roundtrip on CM, October 18-23 in cheapest available Y. Per ITA Matrix the fare is A. pqp.economiles.com has distance as 4790 miles. 4790 miles/5 for preferred partner = 958. But being an A class, per pqp.economiles.com, I'd earn 480 PQP (about 50%).

But if I look at the chart in the wiki, A class on CM, I only earn 10% of 4790 miles in PQP, about 479. Just two different methods of getting to the same result.

Therefore using the ITA Matrix to obtain the fare code and then pqp.economiles.com should get me to close PQP predictions for planning travel for the remainder of the year, correct?

Thank you!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 12:44 pm

Now I am following?

For example, IAD-SJO, via PTY, roundtrip on CM, October 18-23 in cheapest available Y. Per ITA Matrix the fare is A. pqp.economiles.com has distance as 4790 miles. 4790 miles/5 for preferred partner = 958. But being an A class, per pqp.economiles.com, I'd earn 480 PQP (about 50%).

But if I look at the chart in the wiki, A class on CM, I only earn 10% of 4790 miles in PQP, about 479. Just two different methods of getting to the same result.

Therefore using the ITA Matrix to obtain the fare code and then pqp.economiles.com should get me to close PQP predictions for planning travel for the remainder of the year, correct?

Thank you!
yes, but youíll want to confirm on Unitedís site to see if there have been any changes to how much a fare class earns. itís been known to change sometimes, so checking can help avoid any last minute surprises
lamphs likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I just checked pqp.economiles.com for a couple of recently completed flights booked through trip.com on NH and HO, and what pqp.economiles.com calculates and what MP deposited was 100% the same in PQF, PQP, and miles.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and lamphs like this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:53 pm

No PQP, PQF or miles... right?

Folks

A mileage plus redemption ticket in Business from SFO to BLR, is scheduled to transit through Incheon... the first leg is on United (so, there is a possibility of earning a negligible amount of PQF/PQP/Miles) but subsequent legs are on Singapore airlines, which I suspect will earn nothing. In that case, would it be better to put those legs on KrisFlyer, for whatever its worth? (Is it worth doing it? or leave it all on UA MP?
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skytizen
Folks

A mileage plus redemption ticket in Business from SFO to BLR, is scheduled to transit through Incheon... the first leg is on United (so, there is a possibility of earning a negligible amount of PQF/PQP/Miles) but subsequent legs are on Singapore airlines, which I suspect will earn nothing. In that case, would it be better to put those legs on KrisFlyer, for whatever it's worth? (Is it worth doing it? or leave it all on UA MP?
You are correct that non-UA-operated award seats will earn nothing on MileagePlus.

They will also earn nothing on KrisFlyer, or any other program.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:57 pm

Folks

A mileage plus redemption ticket in Business from SFO to BLR, is scheduled to transit through Incheon... the first leg is on United (so, there is a possibility of earning a negligible amount of PQF/PQP/Miles) but subsequent legs are on Singapore airlines, which I suspect will earn nothing. In that case, would it be better to put those legs on KrisFlyer, for whatever its worth? (Is it worth doing it? or leave it all on UA MP?
I donít think youíre allowed to attach different FF#s for different legs. One benefit of using KF is that youíll get free wifi on the SQ legs, if thatís something that matters to you
Skytizen likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Folks

You will earn PQP/PQF only on United flights and only if the award is ticketed by UA. So if you redeem with another program with an itinerary including UA, no PQP/PQF.

No award miles regardless of which carrier ticketed the award.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and RobOnLI like this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 5:23 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Folks

Keep UA number on UA flight. Put SQ number on SQ flights via SQ website if there is some benefit to be realised.
Skytizen likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by D582
Keep UA number on UA flight. Put SQ number on SQ flights via SQ website if there is some benefit to be realised.
thanks...

it was pointed out below that KF number might net WiFi... that would be a good reason, since there is nothing to gain on MP on this...
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am looking to book on United from SFO to India with a desired one way stopover in Dubai.

I see favorable fares and PQP for flights on LH / Swiss to DXB which I am guessing are codeshares, does United do any codeshares to India or Asia whereby I can gain full PQP?

I am guessing that AI and SQ are ineligible.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navatwal
I am looking to book on United from SFO to India with a desired one way stopover in Dubai.

I see favorable fares and PQP for flights on LH / Swiss to DXB which I am guessing are codeshares, does United do any codeshares to India or Asia whereby I can gain full PQP?

I am guessing that AI and SQ are ineligible.
If you purchase a ticket from United, you will earn “full PQP” for all legs that are operated by a qualifying airline, including all of Star Alliance. That is, you will earn one PQP for every dollar spent on the fare, excluding taxes and government fees.

If you purchase a ticket from another airline, it’s not exactly clear what “full PQP” would mean.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: mileage plus
Originally Posted by navatwal
...I am guessing that AI and SQ are ineligible.
AFAIK:
Not ineligible as a rule. Both AI and SQ have fare codes that yield 0 pqp and pqs/pqf at the lower end. It takes analysis to determine if a given "non-016" ticketed fare code, at a given price, yields a higher pqp/$ than an "016" ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.