Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 27, 22, 1:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: findark
Wiki Link
Partner Earning

Beginning in 2020, if you fly a partner airline (not UA metal) and your ticket is on the stock of another airline (not 016 ticket), you will earn PQP as a fraction of the distance flown. That fraction is determined by your fare class, and can be found in the tables below.
The way to derive this fraction is to go to the United earnings page for your airline and determine the RDM (not PQM) earning rate for your fare class. Then divide this number by 5 for "preferred partners" and 6 otherwise.
If the fare class of a non-016 *A partner flight allows RDM earnings (and therefore PQDs), the flight also earns Premier Qualifying Flight (PQF) credit.

Preferred Partner Airlines: AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN
Other Partner Airlines (status earning): A3 AI BR ET EN HO LO MS OA OU OZ SA SK SQ TG TK TP WK ZH
Other Partner Airlines (NO Premier credit): 3M 4B 9K EI HA UK VW

Note that for the third category you will earn RDM but no PQP, regardless of ticket stock (this is no change from before when you would not earn PQM).

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight {segment} on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.
UA Capping PQP Earn with Partners (update -- per flight segment)

Frequently Asked Questions
What if I fly a United-operated segment on a non-United ticket? You will earn PQP equal to the portion of the fare assignable to that segment. This information is transmitted from the ticketing carrier to United, and will be a somewhat arbitrary number between 0 and the full value of the fare component which includes that segment**. (This is the same as earning PQD on such a segment today.)

**Many reports of this not working even this well, and the potential number being outside this range.

What about codeshare segments? As before, codeshares do not matter. Only the operating carrier (metal) of each segment and the stock of the ticket determine your earnings.

How do I get a non-016 ticket? Any ticket purchased directly from another airline will be a partner-issued ticket, even if it has United segments. (Any ticket purchased from United will be an 016 ticket, even if it has no United segments.) Tickets purchased from an agency will usually have a stock of the marketing carrier of the most significant segment ("first long segment" usually).

What's the trick here? Because PQP are earned as a fraction of the distance flown, flying long distances on low-priced fares can earn more PQP than dollars spent. For any given journey, you should consider where you are earning a favorable ratio of PQP to dollars of at least 1.0 when ticketing this way, and consider ticketing with United if you are not.

What about BULK fares? Bulk fares will also earn PQP by distance, as noted in the table below. This is the only way to earn by distance on United metal.

Earnings Tables
Last updated in the image on 19-Oct-19.

Note that values >= 20% are rounded to the nearest 1%, and smaller values are rounded to the nearest 0.1%. If precise calculations are needed, you should always use the original source material (United website).

Star Alliance Airlines
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
Note: There are special rules for AC branded Economy fares on 014 tickets.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Other Partner Airlines (not Star Alliance)
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Updated PQP calculator with new per-segment earning cap
Originally Posted by kevflyer View Post
I created a updated version of the PQP calculator to handle the upcoming per segment PQP earning limits. It also calculates RDM:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

More Information on earning PQP and PQF
Earning PQP on flights ticketed and operated by a Star Alliance Partner
Members can also earn Premier qualifying points on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines. Your PQP will be equal to award miles earned divided by 5 if you’re flying on a preferred partner; for other MileagePlus partner airlines, it will be award miles earned divided by 6.

Please note award miles is your base award miles earning plus your fare class bonus award miles earning, if eligible. Premier bonus miles earned are not included within this calculation and are ineligible for Premier qualifying points accrual.

For Star Alliance airlines as well as Air Dolomiti, Azul, Eurowings, Edelweiss, and Olympic:

Preferred partner PQP: Award miles divided by 5

MileagePlus partner PQP: Award miles divided by 6

For example, if you earned 360 award miles for your flight, you’ll receive 72 PQP if you flew with a preferred partner, and 60 PQP if you flew with a MileagePlus partner.

PQP Calculator with option to apply max PQP per flight:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.

For more information on PQP accrual for a specific airline, visit our airline partner pages.

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 14, 22, 3:38 pm

Not a PQP-related question but posting here since I can't seem to find a thread for award mileage earnings for non-016 partner metals.

Friend booked an AC J award tickets on TK metal and TK has cancelled one of the legs. AC has now put my friend on AC metal for the whole trip instead. Interestingly first leg is booked in I and second leg (long haul) is booked in Z as there's no I space. Since Z is a revenue class, can my friend add his UA FF to his PNR and accrue based on 175% earnings rate for the second leg? Or would the first leg (I) make this impossible?
Old Feb 14, 22, 4:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by runmilerun View Post
Not a PQP-related question but posting here since I can't seem to find a thread for award mileage earnings for non-016 partner metals.

Friend booked an AC J award tickets on TK metal and TK has cancelled one of the legs. AC has now put my friend on AC metal for the whole trip instead. Interestingly first leg is booked in I and second leg (long haul) is booked in Z as there's no I space. Since Z is a revenue class, can my friend add his UA FF to his PNR and accrue based on 175% earnings rate for the second leg? Or would the first leg (I) make this impossible?
While it is possible this could now become mileage earning due to the schedule change, deep in the PNR this is still label as an award ticket. UA on its own metal catches this situation. How AC will handle this is probably a better question for the AC forum. Note it is the operating carrier that makes the determination regardless of the program being credit. So this will not be an UA MP determination.
Old Feb 14, 22, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

worth trying. Nothing to lose here. Has worked for me in the past, but YMMV.
Old Feb 15, 22, 12:09 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
worth trying. Nothing to lose here. Has worked for me in the past, but YMMV.
Exactly - why not try!
Old Feb 17, 22, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, SPG Gold
Book UA Codeshare for LX flight - max earning?

I need to book a biz TATL ticket for SFO-ZRH on LX.

LX stock and UA codeshare are priced the same. To earn more miles / status in mileage plus, is it better to purchase the UA codeshare ticket? That would seem to make sense - but I don't understand all the quirks of the new PQM model.
Old Feb 17, 22, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jacksonSFO View Post

LX stock and UA codeshare are priced the same. To earn more miles / status in mileage plus, is it better to purchase the UA codeshare ticket? That would seem to make sense - but I don't understand all the quirks of the new PQM model.
Still depends. What is that price before taxes/fees? What is the fare class (bucket) for the LX native ticket?
Old Feb 17, 22, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jacksonSFO View Post

It depends, on cheap and expensive tickets it is usually best on UA ticket stock and somewhere in the middle it is better to be on LX ticket stock. You will have to do calculation for each way and see what works the best

On UA ticket stock The PQPs will be roughly 85-90% of ticket price
On LX ticket stock PQPs will depend on the airline, flight miles and LX fare class multiplier -- use https://pqp.economiles.com/ to determine
Old Feb 20, 22, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi all, I know this is long overdue so I just took a whole day to update the PQP calculator. Here are all the changes:

Added AC branded fare handling
Added TK's AnadoluJet-operated flights mappings
Added 4Y and 4Z

Updated LX PE fare mappings with option to use current mappings before 3/27
Updated TP mappings from Sept 2021 changes
Updated EI mappings from Dec 2021 changes
Updated EN mappings from Nov 2021 changes

Fixed some incorrect HA mappings

Cuba routes eligible for earning when on UA metal only
Venezuela routes not eligible for earning

Last edited by kevflyer; Feb 20, 22 at 12:51 am
Old Feb 21, 22, 4:37 pm

AC ticket on LH metal

I buy a round-trip P class on Air Canada. The outbound is a codeshare (i.e., an AC ticket) on Lufthansa metal -- will I get P class credit according to the AC chart (150%) or Lufthansa (100%) for that leg?
Old Feb 21, 22, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Per Lufthansa. Only metal matters, not marketing carrier.
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.
Old Feb 25, 22, 5:11 pm

Programs: mileage plus
Thanks for your very, very useful work.
Old Feb 27, 22, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Related question: The policy is written as such:

The maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

What counts as a "flight?" Is it a cap of 1500 (for F/J on a preferred partner on a non-016 ticket) per segment? Per fare? Per direction? Per ticket?
Old Feb 27, 22, 10:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Related question: The policy is written as such:

What counts as a "flight?" Is it a cap of 1500 (for F/J on a preferred partner on a non-016 ticket) per segment? Per fare? Per direction? Per ticket?
Per segment
Flying Machine and diburning like this.
Old Feb 28, 22, 3:29 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Since PQPs are determined through dividing from the award miles earned, does that mean that it will be a fraction of whatever scheme the operating carrier has to credit miles? Or is it still distance based?

EDIT: I clicked on the calculator link in the wiki and have found the answer.

Last edited by diburning; Feb 28, 22 at 7:49 am
Old Feb 28, 22, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Since PQPs are determined through dividing from the award miles earned, .....
Not quite. For partners on non-UA tickets, it is flight miles times a fare multiplier divide by a partner type factor. How the partner handles their program does not matter.

Search this Thread