Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 27, 22, 1:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: findark
Wiki Link
Partner Earning

Beginning in 2020, if you fly a partner airline (not UA metal) and your ticket is on the stock of another airline (not 016 ticket), you will earn PQP as a fraction of the distance flown. That fraction is determined by your fare class, and can be found in the tables below.
The way to derive this fraction is to go to the United earnings page for your airline and determine the RDM (not PQM) earning rate for your fare class. Then divide this number by 5 for "preferred partners" and 6 otherwise.
If the fare class of a non-016 *A partner flight allows RDM earnings (and therefore PQDs), the flight also earns Premier Qualifying Flight (PQF) credit.

Preferred Partner Airlines: AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN
Other Partner Airlines (status earning): A3 AI BR ET EN HO LO MS OA OU OZ SA SK SQ TG TK TP WK ZH
Other Partner Airlines (NO Premier credit): 3M 4B 9K EI HA UK VW

Note that for the third category you will earn RDM but no PQP, regardless of ticket stock (this is no change from before when you would not earn PQM).

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight {segment} on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.
UA Capping PQP Earn with Partners (update -- per flight segment)

Frequently Asked Questions
What if I fly a United-operated segment on a non-United ticket? You will earn PQP equal to the portion of the fare assignable to that segment. This information is transmitted from the ticketing carrier to United, and will be a somewhat arbitrary number between 0 and the full value of the fare component which includes that segment**. (This is the same as earning PQD on such a segment today.)

**Many reports of this not working even this well, and the potential number being outside this range.

What about codeshare segments? As before, codeshares do not matter. Only the operating carrier (metal) of each segment and the stock of the ticket determine your earnings.

How do I get a non-016 ticket? Any ticket purchased directly from another airline will be a partner-issued ticket, even if it has United segments. (Any ticket purchased from United will be an 016 ticket, even if it has no United segments.) Tickets purchased from an agency will usually have a stock of the marketing carrier of the most significant segment ("first long segment" usually).

What's the trick here? Because PQP are earned as a fraction of the distance flown, flying long distances on low-priced fares can earn more PQP than dollars spent. For any given journey, you should consider where you are earning a favorable ratio of PQP to dollars of at least 1.0 when ticketing this way, and consider ticketing with United if you are not.

What about BULK fares? Bulk fares will also earn PQP by distance, as noted in the table below. This is the only way to earn by distance on United metal.

Earnings Tables
Last updated in the image on 19-Oct-19.

Note that values >= 20% are rounded to the nearest 1%, and smaller values are rounded to the nearest 0.1%. If precise calculations are needed, you should always use the original source material (United website).

Star Alliance Airlines
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
Note: There are special rules for AC branded Economy fares on 014 tickets.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Other Partner Airlines (not Star Alliance)
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Updated PQP calculator with new per-segment earning cap
Originally Posted by kevflyer View Post
I created a updated version of the PQP calculator to handle the upcoming per segment PQP earning limits. It also calculates RDM:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

More Information on earning PQP and PQF
Earning PQP on flights ticketed and operated by a Star Alliance Partner
Members can also earn Premier qualifying points on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines. Your PQP will be equal to award miles earned divided by 5 if you’re flying on a preferred partner; for other MileagePlus partner airlines, it will be award miles earned divided by 6.

Please note award miles is your base award miles earning plus your fare class bonus award miles earning, if eligible. Premier bonus miles earned are not included within this calculation and are ineligible for Premier qualifying points accrual.

For Star Alliance airlines as well as Air Dolomiti, Azul, Eurowings, Edelweiss, and Olympic:

Preferred partner PQP: Award miles divided by 5

MileagePlus partner PQP: Award miles divided by 6

For example, if you earned 360 award miles for your flight, you’ll receive 72 PQP if you flew with a preferred partner, and 60 PQP if you flew with a MileagePlus partner.

PQP Calculator with option to apply max PQP per flight:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.

For more information on PQP accrual for a specific airline, visit our airline partner pages.

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 12, 20, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
I think I am understanding this correctly, but please correct me if I am wrong:

Flying on SwissAir - HKG-ZRH-ORD in business class, Z fare class.

HKG-ZRH = 5776 flight miles
ZRH-ORD = 4443 flight miles
Total flight miles = 10,219

Z class earns 150% award miles, thus multiply 10,219 by 150% to get RDMs = 15, 328

Then, as Swiss is a preferred partner, divide 15, 328 by 5, to get PQP of $3,065

Does this sound right?
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brituchenite View Post
Does this sound right?
Yes.
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by Brituchenite View Post
I think I am understanding this correctly, but please correct me if I am wrong:

Flying on SwissAir - HKG-ZRH-ORD in business class, Z fare class.

HKG-ZRH = 5776 flight miles
ZRH-ORD = 4443 flight miles
Total flight miles = 10,219

Z class earns 150% award miles, thus multiply 10,219 by 150% to get RDMs = 15, 328

Then, as Swiss is a preferred partner, divide 15, 328 by 5, to get PQP of $3,065

Does this sound right?
Yes. Or, you can simply use the chart in the Wiki, find your PQP multiplier for Swiss Z class (30%), and PQP = 10,219 x 0.30 = 3065.
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Awesome, thanks guys!

Last edited by Brituchenite; Feb 12, 20 at 1:49 pm
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:06 am

Programs: United
Do partner flights have to be codeshare to get PQP?

I am looking at flying Sydney to Papeete return with Air NZ (Via Auckland).

I can't book it with United as they do NOT codeshare from AKL to PPT. They do codeshare from SYD to AKL.

Question is, will I get awarded PQP at the calculated rate (Award miles / 5) for the entire trip? Or only for the part that codeshares with United?

Any assistance appreciated!
Old Feb 13, 20, 6:26 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by nickmac View Post
I am looking at flying Sydney to Papeete return with Air NZ (Via Auckland).

I can't book it with United as they do NOT codeshare from AKL to PPT. They do codeshare from SYD to AKL.

Question is, will I get awarded PQP at the calculated rate (Award miles / 5) for the entire trip? Or only for the part that codeshares with United?

Any assistance appreciated!
You do not need codeshares to earn PQP. It just depends on the operating carrier and fare class. In your case, NZ SYD-AKL-PPT will be /5 of award miles, assuming your fare class earns award miles.
Old Feb 13, 20, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hirohito888 View Post
You do not need codeshares to earn PQP. It just depends on the operating carrier and fare class. In your case, NZ SYD-AKL-PPT will be /5 of award miles, assuming your fare class earns award miles.
Operating carrier, fare class, and ticketing carrier.

If you book this trip on United.com -- which may not be possible; I'm having trouble pulling it up in the search results -- you will earn based upon the fare paid. If you book it via Air New Zealand, you will earn based upon the distance and fare class (for flights not operated by UA, which these obviously wouldn't be).
Old Feb 15, 20, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Pardon my ignorance but if I am booking on an airline like Air Canada, how can I know what class it's being booked under (so I can look up potential PQPs in that nifty table)?
Is there a thread where people are collecting most-bang-for-buck partner airlines itineraries?

thanks all
Old Feb 15, 20, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
If I am booking on an airline like Air Canada, how can I know what class it's being booked under (so I can look up potential PQPs in that nifty table)?
I am not sure we can post screenshot but for AC after selecting your trip, there is a detail link showing the fare class on the trip summary. Examples:

18:20 Montréal (YUL) to 20:44 Vancouver (YVR) - 5hr24m 5 hours 24 minutes Operated by Air Canada AC 309 Operated by Air Canada Meal Cabin type (C)
09:30 Vancouver (YVR) to 17:07 Montréal (YUL) - 4hr37m 4 hours 37 minutes Operated by Air Canada AC 314 Operated by Air Canada Breakfast Cabin type (E)
Old Feb 15, 20, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you, I managed to find the fare class on AirCanada.com now. I'll keep a look out for any of their fare deals.
Old Feb 17, 20, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
For example, on this business fare deal to Guyana via Panama, YVR-UA-LAX-CM-PTY-GEO, is it more advantageous to ticket on UA (016) or add AC flights before and after and ticket with AC?

UA/CM: YYZ-GEO from US$740 or CA$975
Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post
Do you earn more than 700*5 = 3500 RDM on this set of flights, without elite multiplier? That's going to depend on the fare bucket for AC, I think. But I guess you would.

So AC away, except you will need to spend more to add the extra segement(?) unless you can purchase on the AC site itself.
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
UA's intent is that it shouldn't matter. In many cases it does -- expensive tickets should be plated on 016, and discount PE/J tickets should be plated on non-016 -- but you'd have to do the calculation yourself to be sure.

That said, I'm not sure that YVR-GEO fare will combine with intra-Canada flights. When I looked at it, the only way to plate it on 016 stock was to start from overseas.
My flight to YVR would be from the U.S. I could also do nested tickets.
Old Feb 17, 20, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
My flight to YVR would be from the U.S. I could also do nested tickets.
For the YVR-GEO fare in particular, I don't know that you're going to have a choice. It's a UA fare, and it's not matched by AC or CM. I don't think it's actually possible to book it on non-016 stock except when using end-on-end construction with a qualifying fare, and I don't think a transborder US fare qualifies. If you can get it to come up on an AC ticket, that's great (and please reply to that thread to let people know how). However, I think you're going to find that the only way to buy it is from UA (or from a travel agent who will issue it as a UA ticket), so you're going to be stuck with earning based upon the actual fare paid, not the distance.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 20, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Platinum
So with some poking around, I was thinking maybe Plat/1K maybe not all that out of reach after all.

I've already got ~9400 PQP worth of flights booked (assuming YVR-SIN holds).

With the MAD/BCN premium fare deal, in theory I could spend another $2000 and go LAX-YVR-YYZ-MAD-YYZ-YVR-LAX in J for 5552 PQP which would push me into Platinum (the opportunity cost being 3-4 economy fares elsewhere).

1K seems particularly steep though. There's no way I'm hitting 54 segments, and 15k -> 24k seems like a monumental jump. Short of another YVR-YYZ-SIN backtracking fare, I'd have to figure out how to get 9k PQP for an affordable sum (ideally <$3k).
Old Feb 17, 20, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic View Post
So with some poking around, I was thinking maybe Plat/1K maybe not all that out of reach after all.

With the MAD/BCN premium fare deal, in theory I could spend another $2000 and go LAX-YVR-YYZ-MAD-YYZ-YVR-LAX in J for 5552 PQP which would push me into Platinum (the opportunity cost being 3-4 economy fares elsewhere).

1K seems particularly steep though. There's no way I'm hitting 54 segments, and 15k -> 24k seems like a monumental jump. Short of another YVR-YYZ-SIN backtracking fare, I'd have to figure out how to get 9k PQP for an affordable sum (ideally <$3k).
3+ PQP / $ is absolutely achievable. The question is more about whether you want to put in that much flying time.

I will probably "top up" my balance (and find yet another excuse to take a beach vacation -- twist my rubber arm) with an EWR-SIN-DPS trip when SQ has a premium economy sale (which seems to be a it frequent occurance). This fare can be bought for a little over $1000 (probably less through Amex) when there's a sale. It earns a little over 3500 PQP.

Whether you want to do that 3x is a different question...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 20, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Polytonic View Post

I was looking at this deal vs the BOM/DEL deal, which I am trying to figure out how to extend the segments and earnings without breaking the fare along the way. I only bought one SIN deal, which was stupid because I was holding out for a really cheap PE deal to Asia, or something to PVG/PEK later this year in J, but if I did the BOM or BCN trip, I would be past the 1/2 way point to 1K for 2021, but I am just not sure if I want to jump on this deal now, or wait for something better later. I think the business deals to China later in the year might end up being rather attractive.

Search this Thread