Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Partner ticket PQP calculator
Partner Earning

Beginning in 2020, if you fly a partner airline (not UA metal) and your ticket is on the stock of another airline (not 016 ticket), you will earn PQP as a fraction of the distance flown. That fraction is determined by your fare class, and can be found in the tables below.
The way to derive this fraction is to go to the United earnings page for your airline and determine the RDM (not PQM) earning rate for your fare class. Then divide this number by 5 for "preferred partners" and 6 otherwise.
If the fare class of a non-016 *A partner flight allows RDM earnings (and therefore PQDs), the flight also earns Premier Qualifying Flight (PQF) credit.

Preferred Partner Airlines: AC AD AV CA CM EN EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN VA WK
Other Partner Airlines (status earning): A3 AI BR ET HO LO MS OA OU OZ SA SK SQ TG TK TP ZH
Other Partner Airlines (NO Premier credit): 3M 4B 9K EI HA UK VW

Note that for the third category you will earn RDM but no PQP, regardless of ticket stock (this is no change from before when you would not earn PQM).

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight {segment} on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.
UA Capping PQP Earn with Partners (update -- per flight segment)

Frequently Asked Questions
What if I fly a United-operated segment on a non-United ticket? You will earn PQP equal to the portion of the fare assignable to that segment. This information is transmitted from the ticketing carrier to United, and will be a somewhat arbitrary number between 0 and the full value of the fare component which includes that segment**. (This is the same as earning PQD on such a segment today.)

**Many reports of this not working even this well, and the potential number being outside this range.

What about codeshare segments? As before, codeshares do not matter. Only the operating carrier (metal) of each segment and the stock of the ticket determine your earnings.

How do I get a non-016 ticket? Any ticket purchased directly from another airline will be a partner-issued ticket, even if it has United segments. (Any ticket purchased from United will be an 016 ticket, even if it has no United segments.) Tickets purchased from an agency will usually have a stock of the marketing carrier of the most significant segment ("first long segment" usually).

What's the trick here? Because PQP are earned as a fraction of the distance flown, flying long distances on low-priced fares can earn more PQP than dollars spent. For any given journey, you should consider where you are earning a favorable ratio of PQP to dollars of at least 1.0 when ticketing this way, and consider ticketing with United if you are not.

What about BULK fares? Bulk fares will also earn PQP by distance, as noted in the table below. This is the only way to earn by distance on United metal.

Earnings Tables
Last updated in the image on 17-Nov-23.
To use: Determine the flight miles of your trip, then multiply by the applicable percentage based on the fare class of the ticket. That is your PQP for that segment. Example: 1000 mile flight on Air Canada booked in W fare code: PQP = 1000*.15=150).

Note that values >= 20% are rounded to the nearest 1%, and smaller values are rounded to the nearest 0.1%. If precise calculations are needed, you should always use the original source material (United website).

Star Alliance Airlines
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
Note: There are special rules for AC branded Economy fares on 014 tickets.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Other Partner Airlines (not Star Alliance)
Warning: It is strongly recommended that you consult the United earnings page for your airline and confirm the earning rate here, as they have been to known to change without notice and apply retroactively to tickets purchased before the change.
GREEN background is a "preferred" partner.

Updated PQP calculator with new per-segment earning cap
Originally Posted by kevflyer
I created a updated version of the PQP calculator to handle the upcoming per segment PQP earning limits. It also calculates RDM:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

More Information on earning PQP and PQF
Earning PQP on flights ticketed and operated by a Star Alliance Partner
Members can also earn Premier qualifying points on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines. Your PQP will be equal to award miles earned divided by 5 if youíre flying on a preferred partner; for other MileagePlus partner airlines, it will be award miles earned divided by 6.

Please note award miles is your base award miles earning plus your fare class bonus award miles earning, if eligible. Premier bonus miles earned are not included within this calculation and are ineligible for Premier qualifying points accrual.

For Star Alliance airlines as well as Air Dolomiti, Azul, Eurowings, Edelweiss, and Olympic:

Preferred partner PQP: Award miles divided by 5

MileagePlus partner PQP: Award miles divided by 6

For example, if you earned 360 award miles for your flight, youíll receive 72 PQP if you flew with a preferred partner, and 60 PQP if you flew with a MileagePlus partner.

PQP Calculator with option to apply max PQP per flight:
https://pqp.economiles.com/

For flights on or after July 1, 2020, the maximum Premier qualifying points that can be earned per flight on tickets issued and operated by Star Alliance partners and select MileagePlus partner airlines are as follows:

MileagePlus members who purchased tickets on eligible partners prior to these new rules may submit receipts showing tickets were issued prior to April 29, 2020, to [email protected] with the subject line "OA PQP Review" to be considered for PQP earning under the prior rules. Receipts should not be submitted until after travel is completed for flights on or after July 1, 2020.

For more information on PQP accrual for a specific airline, visit our airline partner pages.

Archive: Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Old Jun 9, 2024, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
Was each flight ticketed the same? Perhaps your first flight was LH ticket stock (thus maxing out at 750 PQP for an economy flight) whereas the second flight was ticket by United - in which case you would only get PQPs based on purchase price x status multiplier. That would account for the discrepancy.
Both tickets were purchased through a the same travel agent - although on examination of the ticket numbers I notice that the March 2024 ticket numbers are starting 016, and the September ticket numbers are starting 014. I imagine this must be difference between LH ticket stock and United ticket stock.

Very strange how purchasing from the same agent can cause this discrepancy. Obviously in this case it would have been advantageous to purchase through LH ticket stock. I have a few more long haul flights coming up. In the case that I have to go through an agent, can I request that they purchase directly through the partner airline stock (if it is more advantageous to do so?)

Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
where were the tickets purchased from? the PQP calculator you mentioned is only relevant when the ticket is not issued on UA 016 ticket stock
Thanks! It looks like the ticket in March 2024 had a 016 ticket number - so my agent must have purchased through United ticket stock. Whereas the one from September 2023 had a 014 ticket number (I purchased the outgoing flight with Air Canada so the whole thing fell under Air Canada ticket stock). Will keep this in mind for next time! Very useful information for future bookings.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 9, 2024 at 3:01 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 9, 2024, 3:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, livewanderplay

Originally Posted by livewanderplay
Very strange how purchasing from the same agent can cause this discrepancy. ....
Other segments on the ticket can influence the ticket stock selection.
You can request the TA tries to use a particular ticket stock but there are rules they most follow and it may influence the price.
Old Jun 9, 2024, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by livewanderplay
Both tickets were purchased through a the same travel agent - although on examination of the ticket numbers I notice that the March 2024 ticket numbers are starting 016, and the September ticket numbers are starting 014. I imagine this must be difference between LH ticket stock and United ticket stock.
014 is Air Canada. AC is even a bit different as then AC operated flights will credit based on a special 014 earning table. LH would have been 220.

It does get a bit complicated, but it is rather specific for 014 vs. all others (except 016 UA)
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
My 016 ticket in Y purchased on United.com for YYZ-PHL (service by Air Canada Jazz) posted no problem, and with MORE points than the 014 ticket purchased directly with Air Canada via AMEX in Premium Economy for MCO-YYZ (originally on Air Canada Rouge with A320 but later on AC mainline with B787 due to maintenance problems with the A320 and so AC consolidated both the morning & afternoon flights MCO-YYZ into one flight).

Even though I am curious as to why, I don’t have time so i am not going to worry about it
Old Jun 13, 2024, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by sapguy
My 016 ticket in Y purchased on United.com for YYZ-PHL (service by Air Canada Jazz) posted no problem, and with MORE points than the 014 ticket purchased directly with Air Canada via AMEX in Premium Economy for MCO-YYZ (originally on Air Canada Rouge with A320 but later on AC mainline with B787 due to maintenance problems with the A320 and so AC consolidated both the morning & afternoon flights MCO-YYZ into one flight).

Even though I am curious as to why, I donít have time so i am not going to worry about it
Earning for 016 ticket is based on the fare

Earning for 014 ticket is not.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2024, 6:33 am

I don't know why I can't process these rules. More importantly, I need to ensure I'm calculating my PQPs properly,

LX OSL-ZRH-BKK - appears to be class D, booked via Swiss. According to the PQP calculator, I'd earn 352 PQP for OSL-ZRH and then 1500 PQP for ZRH-BKK. But do I earn 1500 PQP max because it is one ticket or do I actually earn 1852 PQP?

The price is the same whether I book via LX or LH. Any PQP differences? UA Gold, BTW...

Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2024, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lamphs
I don't know why I can't process these rules. More importantly, I need to ensure I'm calculating my PQPs properly,

LX OSL-ZRH-BKK - appears to be class D, booked via Swiss. According to the PQP calculator, I'd earn 352 PQP for OSL-ZRH and then 1500 PQP for ZRH-BKK. But do I earn 1500 PQP max because it is one ticket or do I actually earn 1852 PQP?

The price is the same whether I book via LX or LH. Any PQP differences? UA Gold, BTW...

Thanks!
The 1500 PQP max is on a "per segment" basis. You would earn 1500 for ZRH-BKK + PQP for OSL-ZRH
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2024, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lamphs

Thanks!
Only the operating carriers matters. If you are flying LX then I would buy from Swiss - changes will be easier that way and upgrades, should you wany to try to get D --> F
SPN Lifer and lamphs like this.
Old Yesterday, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA
Question How to get Air Canada flight distance to calculate PQP

After many, many years since I last had elite status, I am somehow within reach of qualifying for Premier Silver, just 353 PQP short after my next booked trip to TPE.

I have one more trip from Washington DC (IAD or DCA) to Vancouver (YVR) planned for late September / early October but haven't booked.

For this route, I usually booked either United or Air Canada, whoever is the cheapest - and they code share anyway.
I typically only book basic economy, and the fare is usually between $360 - $430. It's about 150 PQP per flight - so not quite 353 PQP...

I am wondering
  1. How to calculate Air Canada's flight distance, so I can figure out the equivalent PQP that I could earn?
    • On airline partner's flight, for basic economy fares, you earn by miles flown / 5 (according to this)
  2. Any other creative ways to earn the PQP ???

Many thanks in advance. I've been out of the game for a long time -- a lot of catch up.
Old Yesterday, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For flight miles, I use Great Circle Mapper

Basic Economy is not the best way to earn PQPs and no PQFs

CHASE MP Credit Cards earn PQPs
As do first class upgrades and E+ purchased
Award flights earn PQPs 1 per 100 award miles
Old Yesterday, 3:07 pm

could get one of the credit cards that earn pqp, its 25 pqp per $500 though
Old Yesterday, 3:11 pm

Thanks WineCountryUA !

It looks like I haven't got all the information.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...anada.html#fn6 this link only tells me how many award miles I would earn, but not PQP. I assume there's got to be a discount factor based on fare class / fare brand, right?
Assuming I purchase Basic Economy fares on Air Canada, and the flight distance is 2340 one-way (4680 round trip), I still don't know how many PQP I would earn.
Old Yesterday, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bestisfree
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...anada.html#fn6 this link only tells me how many award miles I would earn, but not PQP. I assume there's got to be a discount factor based on fare class / fare brand, right?
PQP will be award miles / 5, but, yes, there will be a massive discount applied -- you won't get anywhere near 100% of the distance in award miles.

This calculator can give you the value, but you'll need the fare class in addition to the fare family. "Basic Economy" alone is insufficient.

https://pqp.economiles.com
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Yesterday, 3:26 pm

On a AC G class basic fare it would be 234 pqp for the round trip on the nonstop, it would be 468 on a non basic branded G class fare. for the nonstop
jsloan and bestisfree like this.
Old Yesterday, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerAVL
On a AC G class basic fare it would be 234 pqp for the round trip on the nonstop, it would be 468 on a non basic branded G class fare. for the nonstop
Thanks! Although I think it's 234 one-way, not round trip right? It's interesting, you do get more award miles and PQP from buying AND flying from a preferred partner airline than United itself. .

Calculator:
https://pqp.economiles.com/?q=IAD,YV...R,IAD,AC,G|IAD,,,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.