Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will you do anything if someone crushed your “poor man's biz class seat"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will you do anything if someone crushed your “poor man's biz class seat"?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:29 pm

When I was going DOH-IAH in Y last year I somehow ended up with an empty row on a fairly full flight. I was in the Aisle seat so I guess no one really noticed my row was empty. Took the opportunity to sleep some, after I was up someone asked to sit in the window of course I obliged (not really my choice anyway). I was just happy I got what I did for the time that I had, and still was next to an empty middle seat the whole way.
notquiteaff and narvik like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Here's how nice a gal I am........my husband and I were non-revving BRU to ORD and we both ended up in separate middle seats (middle section). To my left was a three seater, (another non-rev at the window) and the middle seat was empty. The aisle was taken but that guy in the aisle was upgraded at the last second to F-class while the flight was still boarding. I quickly told my husband to move to the aisle seat the upgraded guy just vacated but boy, the gal at the window (and she was definitely NRSA also) glared at me and said (incredulously), "you're not taking the middle seat are you?". Truthfully, I had no intention to do that and I told her -- as I just wanted my husband to be more comfortable for 8 hours. He took the aisle and I slunk back into my middle seat for a fairly uncomfortable ride. Ugh. (I kind of didn't blame her though).
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by docbert
Anyone with experience of Hobo First Class knows that the trick is to move to the middle seat (27E in this case, 27F not existing on these 3-3-3 layouts). This significantly reduces the chances of someone else deciding either of the remaining two seats are better than theirs
You're assuming everyone else is a greater fool.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 19, 2019 at 4:43 am Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by catocony
I take the middle seat and immediately start putting stuff on the two aisle seats. If someone really want's to take one of the seats, they'll have to work for it :-)

When I ride Amtrak, unassigned seating 2x2, if I can’t get a seat to myself, I’ll pick the seat next to the person who appears to be deliberately trying to keep the seat empty. If I can fine one who’s on the phone, even better.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 19, 2019 at 4:44 am Reason: removed quote of deleted content
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
I used to ride Greyhound a lot, and there's all sorts of social engineering that goes into upping your odds for an empty seat next to you. It's a recognized part of that transportation.

I fly OZ and have certain traits in my seat choice to up the odds of Hobo First Class (keeping that) when booking. When I fly I absolutely put my stuff in the empty seat next to me while boarding is ongoing, when I am very confident that the seat wasn't sold. I am not entitled to it...any more than anybody who decides to move to it is. That said, I also absolutely don't call out anybody who'd try to move to a far (2+) aisle seat, or even a couple moving to the far two seats in a middle 4-seat section. I also probably wouldn't say anything to someone who moved to an empty middle seat in the middle section next to me, but I've yet to meet a passenger so damaged that they would do such a thing.

I've had HFC twice in the past year from Seoul to the US. Wondrous.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
I used to ride Greyhound a lot, and there's all sorts of social engineering that goes into upping your odds for an empty seat next to you. It's a recognized part of that transportation.
same thing could be said when flying SWA

I was assigned boarding position C41 on them yesterday, on a 737-800 with about 20 open seats (per the GA). First row onboard at the bulkhead, seats 1D & 1F were occupied by a couple, who had already built their little nest of books / snacks / headphones on the seat cushion in 1E. I was ready to plop down and spoil their little party, but had a 22" rollerboard with me and could plainly see there was no bin space until about 10 rows deep. I decided I would stow the bag and take whatever seat was closest to that, and ended up in a window in 13A which was fine.

But sorry, 1D/1F ... a clever ploy, but I'm on to your antics.
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 757FO
Oh, ok, that makes sense. Lol, all the times I've Non-Reved, I never gave it any thought. I typically travel in uniform, even if Non-Reving with family, and now I know.

The only other time I have seen it is when you are a displaced FC/Business passenger and IRROPS happen. They put you on standby and also on the UG list, but when it happened to me, I was #1 for both. Typically non revs are the bottom of both - but you can look at both lists and match them up pretty easily.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
When my wife and I travel, we like to sit together, but we're proactive at trying to keep the middle empty. Instead of booking a window and a middle, we always book a middle and an aisle in E+ figuring unless the aircraft fills up, the middle seat with be one of the last assigned or selected, and no one would try to move into it like it was an empty aisle seat. If someone ends up assigned to the middle, she asks them if they would mind taking the aisle seat instead....she hasn't had a "no" answer yet.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:22 am

I don't know that I would do something (though I would be upset) but I am fairly certain that I would not ruin it for someone else if the tables were turned. Perhaps if it was an empty row of 4. Then I wouldn't feel bad taking the aisle because three seats for the other person is great. But if an empty row of 3 then I would be less inclined to take the aisle unless it looked like someone who had no plans to lay down and, even then, I would ask first.

On my flight earlier this week from SIN to SFO, middle was empty and me and my seat mate took turns using it. We are both small so two seats even allowed us to curl up and sleep.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
same thing could be said when flying SWA

I was assigned boarding position C41 on them yesterday, on a 737-800 with about 20 open seats (per the GA). First row onboard at the bulkhead, seats 1D & 1F were occupied by a couple, who had already built their little nest of books / snacks / headphones on the seat cushion in 1E. I was ready to plop down and spoil their little party, but had a 22" rollerboard with me and could plainly see there was no bin space until about 10 rows deep. I decided I would stow the bag and take whatever seat was closest to that, and ended up in a window in 13A which was fine.
"Unite the Couple" is a long-known game on WN

However I tend to find the actual trick is that people tend to forget the back of the plane exists and you can get an empty row back there when middles up front are occupied. Extra nice when your destination is BUR.
notquiteaff and SightseeMC like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I definitely don't have a problem with someone moving from a full row across to my empty row. As long as I have an empty middle I'm golden, and if it makes three other people drastically more comfortable, all the better.
notquiteaff and SightseeMC like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by hughw
When my wife and I travel, we like to sit together, but we're proactive at trying to keep the middle empty. Instead of booking a window and a middle, we always book a middle and an aisle in E+ figuring unless the aircraft fills up, the middle seat with be one of the last assigned or selected, and no one would try to move into it like it was an empty aisle seat. If someone ends up assigned to the middle, she asks them if they would mind taking the aisle seat instead....she hasn't had a "no" answer yet.
I'm confused or am misreading. In both cases above you have a booked middle seat so why would anyone be assigned to it?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by phkc070408
When I ride Amtrak, unassigned seating 2x2, if I can’t get a seat to myself, I’ll pick the seat next to the person who appears to be deliberately trying to keep the seat empty. If I can fine one who’s on the phone, even better.
It sounds like you are seeking to sit next to the most obnoxious person you can find!
Old Oct 19, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 757FO
Ok, but how do you know they are NON Rev? Unless you are an employee, you won't see that on the board at the gate,
More importantly, what value does knowing/not-knowing how 27AB got occupied add to the story?

The answer is... none.

I don't understand the disdain for non-rev flyers around here. There are plenty on FT who think non-rev flyers should be flying in baggage class. I don't get that - they deserve to be treated like any other passenger - with respect.
sinoflyer and notquiteaff like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quitecryptic
When I was going DOH-IAH in Y last year I somehow ended up with an empty row on a fairly full flight. I was in the Aisle seat so I guess no one really noticed my row was empty. Took the opportunity to sleep some, after I was up someone asked to sit in the window of course I obliged (not really my choice anyway). I was just happy I got what I did for the time that I had, and still was next to an empty middle seat the whole way.
Must not have been with United?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.