Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Canada-US-INTL trips can only check-in on UA.com but not in App

Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Few months ago, I noticed I can no longer check-in in UA app, the normal check-in failed message was given, while I am able to check-in on UA.com without any problem. This become normal for all my INTL trips, no matter Canada-US-INTL or INTL-US-Canada, I just checked-in my tomorrow's FRA-IAD-YYZ flight and no surprise same situation.
Does anyone else has same issue? Any way to fix it? It's not a big issue however in most cases App check-in is more fast and less time consuming.
Thanks all!
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gokeeper
Does anyone else has same issue? Any way to fix it? It's not a big issue however in most cases App check-in is more fast and less time consuming.
Thanks all!
No.

Have you tried reinstalling the app?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Ive had four or five international reservations in the last three months, always use the app never had an issue
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Has not been an issue for me either.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
never an issue. If the app doesn't work the the website doesn't work either and vice versa.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
OP is flying INTL-USA-INTL. Could that be a factor?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I go to Canada multiple times a year, and usually 1 true international trip. Sometimes I just check in at airport (with the family, usually have bags anyway), but often I use the app, and I cant remember having an issue in the last several years. The biggest thing for me is when traveling with a lap infant, as has often been the case, it wont give me mobile BPs, but interestingly enough, Ill always get printable BPs. Those emails always say on the top that the following passenger BPs arent included, and lists the lap infant and the adult theyre connected to, but without fail, the BPs for all will always be there. Better than DL, which wont let you check in with a lap infant using their app or kiosk at the airport, you always have to use an agent.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
No.
Have you tried reinstalling the app?
My daily phone runs Android, I tried UA App on iPhone and got same result.

Originally Posted by onthesam
I am always able to check-in in the App before this happened.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
My daily phone runs Android, I tried UA App on iPhone and got same result.

I am always able to check-in in the App before this happened.

Perhaps call Web Support?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
gokeeper are you a Canadian passportholder? Sounds like it could be a Timatic issue that only affects the app...
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by onthesam
No issue for me last month
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
this has happened to me before, I dont remember the exact itin but I would say twice in last year

Always when leaving from Canada transiting the USA then on to asia

I remember I had to run to work and tried at the office and for some reason it let me check in on a PC and print boarding passes..

Wish I could figure out why !! (UA has all my passport info and I can check in online most of the time)
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Sounds like an itinerary issue with USA stuck imbetween two non-USA destinations.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: UA MM
Few months ago, I noticed I can no longer check-in in UA app, the normal check-in failed message was given, while I am able to check-in on UA.com without any problem. This become normal for all my INTL trips, no matter Canada-US-INTL or INTL-US-Canada, I just checked-in my tomorrow's FRA-IAD-YYZ flight and no surprise same situation.
Thanks all!
To really understand why this could be happening, you probably need to state your citizenship, residency, and destination country. My guess is this will reveal the issue with the UA app.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AC 25K
I have encountered the same situation. Canadian citizen, flying Canada-US-international. Can check in successfully on the desktop site, but not on the app.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.