Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stimpy
That is a lot of money to most people, but it is nearly nothing to Chase or the big credit card operators.
Not on an individual basis, but in the aggregate it absolutely matters to both Chase and UA.

And one of the things Chase does well is make customers feel valued regardless of their spend. UA, not so much
SPN Lifer and kb1992 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by stimpy
That is a lot of money to most people, but it is nearly nothing to Chase or the big credit card operators. You should drop by the Amex forum and look at the Centurion wannabe thread. There are people there spending over a million a month on their Platinum cards and can't get love from Amex for a Centurion invite.
I think it matters to Chase and UA if MP Visa holders drop the cards in waves.

By the way, I also recommended all my friends and relatives to cancel UA brand CC.

The value of UA miles has been decreased drastically. Clearly current United regime in Chicago has decided to destroy long term loyalty.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
My MP Signature Visa annual fee is due this month. I did get 5,000 anniversary bonus.

Just wrote a letter to CHASE requesting this card be closed.
Was this a physical letter or email? I'll probably be cancelling my UA Select card before it renews and would like to send a similar note to them.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by TomMM
Was this a physical letter or email? I'll probably be cancelling my UA Select card before it renews and would like to send a similar note to them.

Sort of a letter via secure message on chase app.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: United Premier Gold
The End of my United Explorer Card?

Hey friends!

Want to make sure I understand the new UA changes.

We got the UA Explorer Card primarily for the PQD waiver. My wife works for a non profit that sends her all over the world but they get great UA rates, and therefore cheap flights. My wife typically travels 75000-100K a year but would never hit the previous spending requirement.

If I am reading right, the benefit for having the Explorer card is only 2000 PQP (If you spend $25K on card).

Am I correct? Even with those 2000 PQP she wont hit that requirement I am guessing to maintain platinum or maybe even gold.

Any other ways around this I may be missing?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It really depends how much the non-profit spends on her flights.

If she is flying 100K miles at let's say 5 cpm then she's at 5000 PQP, plus 2000 PQP from the card.

She only needs 24 PQF and 8,000 PQP for Gold. Platinum might be more out of reach.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I canx my Explorer Biz card today, moving toward the Biz Preferred and Biz Unlimited Combo with the 1.5x point rate.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by ericjkelly
If I am reading right, the benefit for having the Explorer card is only 2000 PQP (If you spend $25K on card).

Am I correct?
No, it's even worse than you think...you only get a max of 1000PQP for $24k spend:

The UnitedSM Explorer Card, United ClubSM Card, UnitedSM Explorer Business Card, United ClubSM Business Card, United MileagePlus Awards Card, United MileagePlus Card, and United MileagePlus Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum.

EDIT: wait a minute...aacharya is also mentioning 2000PQP. Is there something I'm missing?

Last edited by wh6cto; Jan 3, 2020 at 4:55 pm
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wh6cto
No, it's even worse than you think...you only get a max of 1000PQP for $24k spend:

The UnitedSM Explorer Card, United ClubSM Card, UnitedSM Explorer Business Card, United ClubSM Business Card, United MileagePlus Awards Card, United MileagePlus Card, and United MileagePlus Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum.

EDIT: wait a minute...aacharya is also mentioning 2000PQP. Is there something I'm missing?
most cards allow for max 1000 PQP (500 per $12,000 of card spend). There are some cards - I think Club, and some discontinued cards like the Select and probably PP that allow you to get 3000 PQP, at the same ratio (ie, youd need $72,000 in spend to get the 3000 PQP).
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
most cards allow for max 1000 PQP (500 per $12,000 of card spend). There are some cards - I think Club, and some discontinued cards like the Select and probably PP that allow you to get 3000 PQP, at the same ratio (ie, youd need $72,000 in spend to get the 3000 PQP).
I don't think Club is part of that group, unless it's recently changed?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zoned_post_meridiem
Originally Posted by emcampbe
most cards allow for max 1000 PQP (500 per $12,000 of card spend). There are some cards - I think Club, and some discontinued cards like the Select and probably PP that allow you to get 3000 PQP, at the same ratio (ie, you’d need $72,000 in spend to get the 3000 PQP).
I don't think Club is part of that group, unless it's recently changed?
Chase MP Club card is 1,000 PQP max
The United℠ Explorer Card, United Club℠ Card, United℠ Explorer Business Card, United Club℠ Business Card, United MileagePlus Awards Card, United MileagePlus Card, and United MileagePlus Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum.
The cards with higher limits are
  • The United MileagePlus Select Card and United MileagePlus Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
  • The United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Card and United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:41 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by wh6cto
If you have the business and personal explorer cards I think you can get 2k for 25k spend x2 cards
I actually think it is the same for club too
So one could do Explorer, Business Explorer and Club for 3k (or if totally crazy add the business Club for 4k PQP)
Of course that means 1300$ fees too.
I think having the 2 explorer cards is the sweet spot

The United℠ Explorer Card, United Club℠ Card, United℠ Explorer Business Card, United Club℠ Business Card, United MileagePlus Awards Card, United MileagePlus Card, and United MileagePlus Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum.

If you have these 5 - I suspect you can do 5k PQP at an annual fee cost of 500$, (and 24x5= 120k spend) but we are not sure yet how they will treat these cards PQP.
I am pretty sure they will treat business and personal as distinct for PQP (only time will tell) but if you have more than 1 type as above perhaps one can get 5k

Last edited by ffI; Jan 4, 2020 at 7:56 am
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ffI

If you have these 5 - I suspect you can do 5k PQP at an annual fee cost of 500$, (and 24x5= 120k spend) but we are not sure yet how they will treat these cards PQP.
I am pretty sure they will treat business and personal as distinct for PQP (only time will tell) but if you have more than 1 type as above perhaps one can get 5k
UA has confirmed that you can stack the PQP benefits of multiple cards.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Yes, although there is a PQP cap per card, you combine PQPs across multiple cards.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
However, only certain (discontinued?) card PQPs are valid up to 1K status.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
However, only certain (discontinued?) card PQPs are valid up to 1K status.
I don't think there are any cards out there that allow one to earn more than the 10,000 PQP offered for the Presidential Plus. Those PQP, though, are eligible to count towards 1K status in the year they are earned (no more flexible PQM / PQP). I will be interested to see how the PQP posting works...I would have preferred if UA would post it pro-rata as earned, as opposed to making it every $12k (where one needs to double-check their spending to see if it adds up to what they are expecting).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.