Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Select you get 500 PQP for every $12k spend, and that can be used to get to 1K.

You also get an extra half mile per dollar spent on grocery, home improvement stores v Club card.

That plus 5K RDM which is worth min $50.

Is that enough though to keep it? Opinions differ
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
I kept the Select Card primarily because of the 5000 PQMs it gave after $25,000 spend - since the UA club card didn't offer any PQM benefit - which helped me maintain my 1K status .
AFAIK, the Select card offers up to 5000 PQM for united.com spend - 1 PQM per dollar. https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...elect/benefits

The older Platinum offered an additional 5000 PQM for $35k in overall spend. That one has a higher AF ($130, I think?).

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

You also get an extra half mile per dollar spent on grocery, home improvement stores v Club card.
And gas stations and restaurants.

(of course, who doesn't have better cards for most of these categories?)
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
AFAIK, the Select card offers up to 5000 PQM for united.com spend - 1 PQM per dollar. https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...elect/benefits

Yes, but for 2020 qualification for 2021 --> The United MileagePlus Select Card and United MileagePlus Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.

For the Club Card, you can earn 500 PQP for spending $12,000 and another 500 PQP for spending an additional $12,000. 1,000 PQP is the max you can earn through Chase.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium

Yes, but for 2020 qualification for 2021 --> The United MileagePlus Select Card and United MileagePlus Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.

For the Club Card, you can earn 500 PQP for spending $12,000 and another 500 PQP for spending an additional $12,000. 1,000 PQP is the max you can earn through Chase.

Right, and, correct me if I'm wrong, you can stack PQP earn through Chase card spending, so if OP wanted to, they could have 1,000 PQP from their Club Card and 3,000 PQP from their Select. Not sure if that's what they're after, but they could potentially get 4,000 PQP from card spend alone, even if it is a pretty large amount of card spend.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

that is correct, but the quote I commented on described the current PQM benefit (incorrectly). Basically, if you “kept the Select Card primarily because of the 5000 PQMs it gave after $25,000 spend”, then I don’t know that you had a valid reason to keep it. Perhaps you spent $5k on United tickets and that gave you the 5000 PQM, and you also spent overall $25,000 on the card and mis-interpreted that as the reason?

In any case, it’s all over in a few weeks
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
that is correct, but the quote I commented on described the current PQM benefit (incorrectly). Basically, if you “kept the Select Card primarily because of the 5000 PQMs it gave after $25,000 spend”, then I don’t know that you had a valid reason to keep it. Perhaps you spent $5k on United tickets and that gave you the 5000 PQM, and you also spent overall $25,000 on the card and mis-interpreted that as the reason?

In any case, it’s all over in a few weeks
Oh yes, you are right, I got confused over the $25K spend giving you the PQD waiver and $1spend on United = 1EQM up to 5000.
Yeah, I made 1k for 2020, so Im just wondering about what to do after 2020 - I just don't think I need the Select card anymore since Im not going to be pursuing 1K.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I just don't think I need the Select card anymore since Im not going to be pursuing 1K.
It’s as simple as whether you value 5,000 annual deposit miles and the “Choices” option as worth $95/year. Or really the “Choices” option being worth $45.

Mine renews in January so I will keep it and really decide next time.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
It’s as simple as whether you value 5,000 annual deposit miles and the “Choices” option as worth $95/year. Or really the “Choices” option being worth $45.

Mine renews in January so I will keep it and really decide next time.
Mine renews in May. I might drop it and instead get the Explorer card for a year (65k RDM, no 1st year AF). I don’t think I will earn enough UA miles from non-UR transfers in the foreseeable future to make the Choices benefit particularly valuable, though I admit that if I still put a ton of revenue miles on United (vs opportunistically earning on UA when it makes sense), they would be a factor to consider.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

My MP Signature Visa annual fee is due this month. I did get 5,000 anniversary bonus.

Just wrote a letter to CHASE requesting this card be closed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am requesting this account be closed immediately. I have spent nearly 1.1 million USD on this card since 2012. My average annual spend is $150,000. However, United Airlines has announced massive devaluation of its Mileage Plus program. (1) Replacing award chart by "dynamic award" basically triples miles needed for redemption; (2) Dollar spending requirements for elites are raised drastically for 2020 which makes impossible for many to re-qualify. Requiring 54 segments for Premier 1K discriminates against many long-haul international flyers. Therefore, United Mileage Plus Visa is no longer valuable to me and I have to move my $150,000 annual spend elsewhere.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:47 am

I sympathize with that view and I think it's a good letter but Chase's response is going to be "good, we would welcome you over to our Sapphire cards which are both better for you and more profitable for us, and then neither of us have to deal with United." There has been some rumblings that United is not very happy with Chase right now.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by VetteElite
I sympathize with that view and I think it's a good letter but Chase's response is going to be "good, we would welcome you over to our Sapphire cards which are both better for you and more profitable for us, and then neither of us have to deal with United." There has been some rumblings that United is not very happy with Chase right now.
Following response from CHASE:

We're sorry that you have chosen to close your United® MileagePlus Select account ending in XXXX. We closed your account as you requested. We have recorded your message as a feedback for our partner, United Airlines. We will share it with appropriate management.

Please consider us for your future credit needs. We offer a variety of credit cards, including some with airline, hotel and cash-back rewards programs. You can visit chase.com to explore more options and find a card that suits your everyday needs.
SPN Lifer and RNE like this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by kb1992
Following response from CHASE:

We're sorry that you have chosen to close your United® MileagePlus Select account ending in XXXX. We closed your account as you requested. We have recorded your message as a feedback for our partner, United Airlines. We will share it with appropriate management.

Please consider us for your future credit needs. We offer a variety of credit cards, including some with airline, hotel and cash-back rewards programs. You can visit chase.com to explore more options and find a card that suits your everyday needs.
Yeah, I think this "partnership" is pretty icy. Chase clearly wants to dominate with their proprietary cards and United will probably be looking for some second-tier issuer to overpay them for the privilege of issuing co-brand cards.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VetteElite
There has been some rumblings that United is not very happy with Chase right now.
UA should look in the mirror. They're the ones that have devalued the program to the point that many of us are considering dropping the card.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by kb1992
My MP Signature Visa annual fee is due this month. I did get 5,000 anniversary bonus.

Just wrote a letter to CHASE requesting this card be closed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am requesting this account be closed immediately. I have spent nearly 1.1 million USD on this card since 2012...
That is a lot of money to most people, but it is nearly nothing to Chase or the big credit card operators. You should drop by the Amex forum and look at the Centurion wannabe thread. There are people there spending over a million a month on their Platinum cards and can't get love from Amex for a Centurion invite.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA should look in the mirror. They're the ones that have devalued the program to the point that many of us are considering dropping the card.
And many of us already have dropped it.

Last edited by halls120; Nov 27, 2019 at 2:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.