FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1991717-reconsidering-chase-mp-cards-due-2020-ff-changes.html)

DCEsquire Oct 17, 2019 10:36 am

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Hi

Please merge this if there is a more appropriate thread - but I didn't see anything focused on this issue.

Given the changes in the 2020 plan I'm likely moving my spend off of my Chase UA card (I have the MP Select card). Assuming you are dissatisfied with the changes in the FF program what is everyone doing.

My previous go to card was SPG, but since that became Bonvoy I moved to UA Chase. Now that I know I won't make 1k it really doesn't make much sense to focus my spend into UA's program.

I would welcome learning what options others are considering or if you are just going to stick with the UA card.

STS-134 Oct 17, 2019 10:46 am

I am planning on doing the same and I created a related thread earlier (this one's about when to cancel though, not about what cards to move to): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...edit-card.html

As for what card I'm going to move to, I already have it: the CSR. I might get a CFU to complement the CSR, so that a lot of the non-bonus spend I was putting on the UA card can now become UR points.

findark Oct 17, 2019 10:49 am

Do you value the status boosts and/or formerly the PQD waiver?

These threads confuse me because, for years now, the PQD waiver was literally the only reason to put even a dollar of spend on a Chase/UA card after meeting the signup bonus. There are better cards for earning value for every single kind of purchase, including UA tickets. There are better cards for earning UA miles for every single kind of purchase. None of this has been changed by the MP program announcements. About the only case I can see spending on a UA card being +EV is a very narrow one where the other benefits of the card like bags are useful (so pax has no status) and you spend little enough that the imputed $150 AF of another card eliminates any marginal benefits.

scubadu Oct 17, 2019 10:53 am

Ok, I'll bite. If someone is 1K and thus the PQD requirement has not been waived w/$25K of spend, why in the world would anyone put any spend on any UA card to begin with? There are far, far more generous cards out there for rewarding travel spend.

I mean even if you want UA miles as currency, spend on several of the Chase UR cards would bonus all travel spend (not just airfare) at a rate higher than most of the UA cards, and then you could transfer those UR points to UA if you need UA miles.

I assumed the only reason anyone would put any spend on an UA card would be for the PQD waiver, which obviously doesn't apply to 1Ks

Regards

DCEsquire Oct 17, 2019 11:08 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 31638707)
Ok, I'll bite. If someone is 1K and thus the PQD requirement has not been waived w/$25K of spend, why in the world would anyone put any spend on any UA card to begin with? There are far, far more generous cards out there for rewarding travel spend.

I mean even if you want UA miles as currency, spend on several of the Chase UR cards would bonus all travel spend (not just airfare) at a rate higher than most of the UA cards, and then you could transfer those UR points to UA if you need UA miles.

I assumed the only reason anyone would put any spend on an UA card would be for the PQD waiver, which obviously doesn't apply to 1Ks

Regards

Unless I'm missing something - there is no waiver for any level and the spend on UA tix can be on any card. UA seems to have shot blown up any reason for me to use the UA card. Maybe I'm missing something. If not I am def looking for the best alternative.

DCEsquire Oct 17, 2019 11:09 am

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 31638678)
I

As for what card I'm going to move to, I already have it: the CSR. I might get a CFU to complement the CSR, so that a lot of the non-bonus spend I was putting on the UA card can now become UR points.

I'm sorry what does CSR and CFU stand for.

zombietooth Oct 17, 2019 11:10 am

No-Brainer.

If you spend a significant amount on travel, the Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) is the only way to go. You earn 3 points for every travel dollar you spend, which are transferable to UA and other airlines and Hyatt, etc. at a 1:1 conversion rate. In addition, booking through their travel portal will net you an effective 4.5 cents per dollar cash rebate on all of your travel spend, so long as you use that credit on travel expenses.

scubadu Oct 17, 2019 11:11 am

Originally Posted by DCEsquire (Post 31638765)
Unless I'm missing something - there is no waiver for any level and the spend on UA tix can be on any card. UA seems to have shot blown up any reason for me to use the UA card. Maybe I'm missing something. If not I am def looking for the best alternative.

Yes, of course, with the just announced changes the PQD waiver goes away for everyone. What I'm saying is if you were a 1K and thus didn't benefit from said waiver in the past, why were you doing any spend on it at all?

In almost all cases, airline credit cards (not just United's) are just a horrible ROI for spend, unless that spend is getting something waived.

Regards

DCEsquire Oct 17, 2019 11:28 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 31638776)
If you spend a significant amount on travel, the Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) is the only way to go. You earn 3 points for every travel dollar you spend, which are transferable to UA and other airlines and Hyatt, etc. at a 1:1 conversion rate. In addition, booking through their travel portal will net you an effective 4.5 cents per dollar cash rebate on all of your travel spend, so long as you use that credit on travel expenses.

Wow - $450 annual fee!

findark Oct 17, 2019 11:29 am

Originally Posted by DCEsquire (Post 31638842)
Wow - $450 annual fee!

It's $150 as long as you spend at least $300 annually on anything travel-related (which, since you are on FT, I assume you do). Plus includes a decent Priority Pass if you don't already have that from another 450 card.

scubadu Oct 17, 2019 11:30 am

Originally Posted by DCEsquire (Post 31638842)
Wow - $450 annual fee!

Umm.... I take it you don't get outside of the FT UA forum much, correct?

Regards

DCEsquire Oct 17, 2019 11:30 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31638845)
It's $150 as long as you spend at least $300 annual on anything travel-related (which, since you are on FT, I assume you do). Plus includes a decent Priority Pass if you don't already have that from another 450 card.

Ah, thanks. I have the Amex Plat which I keep exclusively for Centurion Lounge. I guess I should compare that with Chase.

STS-134 Oct 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by DCEsquire (Post 31638770)
I'm sorry what does CSR and CFU stand for.

CSR = Chase Sapphire Reserve
CFU = Chase Freedom Unlimited

CSR earns 3 Ultimate Rewards points/$ spent on any travel (including UA tickets) and dining and 1 UR point/$ on everything else. CFU earns 1.5 UR points/$ on everything. You can transfer points from CFU to CSR. Ultimate Rewards points can be transferred to United miles at a 1:1 ratio, meaning that the CSR basically earns 3 miles/$ on UA tickets (you can also transfer to many other travel partner programs too). So even though I have a MileagePlus Explorer card (for PQD waiver, which is ending next year, hence why I'm going to cancel it), I never purchase UA tickets with it. They either go on the CSR or on the Amex Platinum (5 MR points/$ on airline spend).

zombietooth Oct 17, 2019 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31638845)
It's $150 as long as you spend at least $300 annually on anything travel-related (which, since you are on FT, I assume you do). Plus includes a decent Priority Pass if you don't already have that from another 450 card.

I should have explained that part. This card is only for someone who travels a lot. The net $150- fee for those who do is an absolute bargain. I am earning approx. 100,000 points per year on that card with an ACV (actual cash value) of $1,500- if I book through their travel portal, and more if I can gain an arbitrage opportunity by converting/transfering points into other travel loyalty programs.

The Priority Pass benefit was unimportant to me when I signed-up but has since become valuable to me. I actually prefer the PP lounges in IAH, or free meals at Landry's Seafood House, to the overcrowded, mundane UCs.

Also, the rental car coverage is the best I've ever experienced with a CC.

STS-134 Oct 17, 2019 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 31639049)
I should have explained that part. This card is only for someone who travels a lot.

I disagree. It's for someone who travels at least once a year. A single airline ticket or hotel for 2 nights will easily use up the travel credit. The Amex Platinum on the other hand...that's a card for people who don't mind jumping through hoops to use benefits.