Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by zombietooth
By the way, why are some of you not closing the accounts immediately but waiting until renewal? I can see no advantage in waiting if you're not going to use the card at all (excepting the club card, of course).
There are occasionally targeted spend promos such as

UA Select Visa: 3x on Gas, dining thru June 30
UA Select Visa: 5000 bonus miles for $3k spend (Q4)

that, depending on one’s circumstances and card portfolio, might make a temporary shift of spend worthwhile for a few extra miles.

Other than that, there is probably no reason to wait. A reason not to wait is the risk of forgetting to cancel later on.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by milepig
Because I don’t want to clobber my credit score with more credit I don’t need and valued the old card for the other benefits. All in my first post.

I don’t what membership price you’re quoting as $100.
Here are the prices I see:
Paid membership, 1K and GS - $550
Paid membership, Platinum - $600
Paid membership, other - $650
United Club Card - $450

So you are literally paying $100-200 more by not going through the card. Is there some Chase rule that prevents toy from getting the Club card in addition to your grandfathered one? I am unaware of such a rule. And getting another card is NOT going to tank your score. Part of it is average account age (so opening lots of accounts actually helps you open more in the future with less of a hit to the score) and another part is % utilization, which is lower (better) with more open cards. I have 7 cards open and last time I checked my score, it was 850.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by STS-134
Here are the prices I see:
Paid membership, 1K and GS - $550
Paid membership, Platinum - $600
Paid membership, other - $650
United Club Card - $450

So you are literally paying $100-200 more by not going through the card. Is there some Chase rule that prevents toy from getting the Club card in addition to your grandfathered one? I am unaware of such a rule. And getting another card is NOT going to tank your score. Part of it is average account age (so opening lots of accounts actually helps you open more in the future with less of a hit to the score) and another part is % utilization, which is lower (better) with more open cards. I have 7 cards open and last time I checked my score, it was 850.
sorry. There were a couple parenthetical clauses in your phrase and my poor old eyes read is as the membership fee was $100. But, in any case I’ll be leaving Chase and UA, so it’s all moot.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by milepig
sorry. There were a couple parenthetical clauses in your phrase and my poor old eyes read is as the membership fee was $100. But, in any case I’ll be leaving Chase and UA, so it’s all moot.
Yep, can't change the past, but I agree that this is the best decision moving forward.

It's pretty hilarious that my wife just got a Club card offer with a $0 first year annual fee in the mail yesterday, exactly one week after UA made changes that made her husband pull all business from UA. Might have gone for it if we were planning a lot of domestic travel next year.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:07 am

I just got the $0 first year Club card mailer yesterday. I actually just got the Explorer a few weeks ago for the sign up bonus since I could use the miles and expanded award availability on an upcoming vacation. My problem (and the reason I'm going to keep the card probably even longer than just the 1st year) is that I'm a true free agent who also has a need to get to ORD and EWR a few times a year which is not enough PQM (or now PQP) to get any status, yet keeps me flying United since I want the direct flights and (in the case of ORD) don't care for American. So for me the card gets me Group 2 boarding, 2x miles on the airfare, and expanded award availability and thus is like a silver-lite status for a free agent like myself. I don't see why anyone with real status would keep the card around.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Has anyone since the epic Premier deval been offered any retention options when calling to cancel Explorer or Club cards?

I am sure they are letting folks cancel discontinued cards with zero resistance.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
CSR = Chase Sapphire Reserve
CFU = Chase Freedom Unlimited

CSR earns 3 Ultimate Rewards points/$ spent on any travel (including UA tickets) and dining and 1 UR point/$ on everything else. CFU earns 1.5 UR points/$ on everything. You can transfer points from CFU to CSR. Ultimate Rewards points can be transferred to United miles at a 1:1 ratio, meaning that the CSR basically earns 3 miles/$ on UA tickets (you can also transfer to many other travel partner programs too). So even though I have a MileagePlus Explorer card (for PQD waiver, which is ending next year, hence why I'm going to cancel it), I never purchase UA tickets with it. They either go on the CSR or on the Amex Platinum (5 MR points/$ on airline spend).
I understand the cards earn points at different levels but what's the reason you would want to transfer points between CFU to CSR if they are both redeemed at a 1:1 ratio.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I understand the cards earn points at different levels but what's the reason you would want to transfer points between CFU to CSR if they are both redeemed at a 1:1 ratio.
CSR is required to transfer points to other loyalty programs so redemption values are much better when the points are under the CSR.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hertz President's Circle, Uber Platinum
Canceled my presidential plus MasterCard. The best they could do was a $100 statement credit. I declined it
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Multiple UA cards?

Curious if anyone had any thoughts about the ability to use multiple UA cards (personal and business) to aid in buying down the PQP levels? Say you have a personal Club card and the Business Explorer cars, do you think they’d let you credit 1000 PQP from each?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RobH
Canceled my presidential plus MasterCard. The best they could do was a $100 statement credit. I declined it
I did the same two days ago, PP MC, only offered me $65. When agent asked why I told her the loss of waivers. She just said thanks for past membership and cancelled
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DeaconY
Curious if anyone had any thoughts about the ability to use multiple UA cards (personal and business) to aid in buying down the PQP levels? Say you have a personal Club card and the Business Explorer cars, do you think they’d let you credit 1000 PQP from each?
So you're thinking of stacking? Getting/keeping multiple cards to stack the max PQP credits? Assuming you can spend enough on each separate card to max out the PQP permitted, I'd say it would be one year before they'd close that loophole. And is the 500 or 1000 in extra PQP worth the huge amounts of spending you'd need to do on those cards, which spending wold earn more RDM on other cards?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DeaconY
From the main thread
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Yes, although there is a PQP cap per card, you combine PQP’s across multiple cards.
but you need the spend on each card separately
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
From the main thread
but you need the spend on each card separately
Thanks! I missed that one. The thread was getting a little long to read through completely via mobile.

Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
So you're thinking of stacking? Getting/keeping multiple cards to stack the max PQP credits? Assuming you can spend enough on each separate card to max out the PQP permitted, I'd say it would be one year before they'd close that loophole. And is the 500 or 1000 in extra PQP worth the huge amounts of spending you'd need to do on those cards, which spending wold earn more RDM on other cards?
Definitely something to consider depending on how the year plays out in terms of progress towards status. I have more than a few good MS venues, so even hitting $72k in spend over a couple of cards isn’t insurmountable it it would get me over the next threshold. Hypothetically of course!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 23, 2019 at 9:58 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I may now still hold onto Select for the Choices option. But need to see if the 5k RDMs still get posted annually or not. If they do, this is a pretty low cost sock drawer card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.