Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Seat changing etiquette? Onboard to preferred seats

Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

So UAL charges extra in the economy to get seats assigned in the front of the cabin (white with black corners.) And it seems nobody wants to pay UAL more to get seats assigned in the front leaving most of the economy seats in the front empty.

Is it ok to change to these empty seats once the door closes? This is in the same cabin so we should have the same seat pitch and same food/beverage service so none of the flight attendants should feel that the passengers were "stealing" by switching to these rows. Right now they have packed everyone like sardines in a few rows in the back. This feels like somewhere between basic economy and economy even though the ticket is economy.

What do you think?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sarpotd
What so you think?
I think its likely to be irrelevant, because those seats will be assigned at check-in. However, if there are large number of empty seats, Id personally say that it should be OK to move once on board, assuming the FA is OK with it.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
If they charge more for those seats then yes, you ARE in effect "stealing" by switching seats by not asking. If however, you ask and the FA or GA gives you the go-ahead ...

The airlines are nickel-and-diming us with the extra charges but they do it because the data has shown people will pay. I've moved to empty seats or empty rows myself but that was back before they started charging for every little thing including figuring out what the more desireable seats were.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
It is a nice courtesy to ask the FA about moving - and if you aren't moving to E+ they won't care.....
In2ishn likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
If they charge more for those seats then yes, you ARE in effect "stealing" by switching seats by not asking. If however, you ask and the FA or GA gives you the go-ahead ...
The "preferred seats" are available at no extra charge for everyone once check-in has started. So this is a different situation than E+.

So selection at check-in should be possible.

But as others have said, when switch seats onboard, always best to confirm with an FA.
AugustusM, Boraxo, drewguy and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by sarpotd

So UAL charges extra in the economy to get seats assigned in the front of the cabin (white with black corners.) And it seems nobody wants to pay UAL more to get seats assigned in the front leaving most of the economy seats in the front empty.

Is it ok to change to these empty seats once the door closes? This is in the same cabin so we should have the same seat pitch and same food/beverage service so none of the flight attendants should feel that the passengers were "stealing" by switching to these rows. Right now they have packed everyone like sardines in a few rows in the back. This feels like somewhere between basic economy and economy even though the ticket is economy.

What do you think?
Youre trying, unsuccessfully, to rationalize theft and looking for accomplices.
writerguyfl and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Unfortunately it is theft. Even though you’re receiving the same legroom, same food service, etc, those seats require extra payment.

As Wine mentoned, they should open up at t-24, so log in right at that time and move yourself forward before those seats get taken by others. This way it’s free and official, since you will have a boarding pass with those seats on it.
writerguyfl, GFrye and BeanTownBoy like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Youre trying, unsuccessfully, to rationalize theft and looking for accomplices.
How can it be theft when, at check-in, it was free?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:55 am

If the flight is not full, you may move your seat after you ask a flight attendant to point out unclaimed seats and receive their permission to swap. You don’t get to just sit wherever you want.
Dublin_rfk and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
How can it be theft when, at check-in, it was free?
Agreed, it is not theft.

However, moving into E+ without permission and without paying is theft.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Preferred" seats do not carry a fee at check-in. But, E+ does.

Any move approved by UA, e.g. a FA, is OK.
Sneaking into E+ is no difference than sneaking into F. It is a theft of service.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
Sneaking into E+ is no difference than sneaking into F. It is a theft of service.
The OP was specifically about "preferred seats"
IndyHoosier and drewguy like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
if someone assigned to those seats has an entire row to him/her self, don’t ruin their good fortune (or strategic success) by moving yourself into that row.

in the vast majority of scenarios, the best advice is to sit in your ticketed seat.
HoustonConsultant likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
The last couple of flights I was on the E+ was about 50% capacity and the exit rows were about 25%. The FA made the announcement that people are free to change seats except from the back to the E+ seat; added that E+ seats costs $$. (Interestingly, they did not mention exit rows which are E++ in my opinion. ) That did not stop people from moving to the E+ seat without asking. I have no problems with people moving to E+. However, moving to the exit rows are a different situation. One is money or theft, the other is safety. While most people don't take the responsibility of seating in the exit rows seriously, I do. As many time as I have the safety briefing cards at the exit row, I read it each time I sit there. count me as a nerd.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
"Preferred" seats do not carry a fee at check-in. But, E+ does.

Any move approved by UA, e.g. a FA, is OK.
Why not warn the OP about stealing blankets and pillows too?
IndyHoosier likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.