Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: In reecnt years, how have you earned status?
PQM?
87.22%
PQS?
3.76%
Sometimes one, Somtimes the other? or Both
8.27%
Corprorate contract, PassPlus, or other contractual agreement
0%
Present status is due to UA status challenge
0%
Present status is based on lifetime status
0.75%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Did you earn status through PQM or PQS?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:24 pm
mr8
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Question Did you earn status through PQM or PQS?

Curious to see how most people on FT earned their status with the old program.

I've alway been a PQM ever since my silver days.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Based on years of similar threads, the vast majority of people qualify through miles and not segments. It was always the cheapest and easiest way to go.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Having been a US-centric flyer based out of ORD for the past 7 years, I gained status strictly through segments. Last year was the first year I hit 120 in a year...And it was a long slog. I got there through making additional stops, usually on the way home at the end of the week.

I've recently moved to MSP, and fly to DTW weekly. I've been considering switching to Delta to make the hub-to-hub flights...But there's no way that I'll be making 140 segments on Delta to get Diamond status. Dilemmas abound.

-mvitale
AceReport likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by mvitale
Having been a US-centric flyer based out of ORD for the past 7 years, I gained status strictly through segments. Last year was the first year I hit 120 in a year...And it was a long slog. I got there through making additional stops, usually on the way home at the end of the week.

I've recently moved to MSP, and fly to DTW weekly. I've been considering switching to Delta to make the hub-to-hub flights...But there's no way that I'll be making 140 segments on Delta to get Diamond status. Dilemmas abound.

-mvitale
Extra stops on the way home!? A lot of them? Sounds painful. Would your spend have been sufficient to maintain 1K after next year had you remained flying out of ORD?

Last edited by onthesam; Oct 13, 2019 at 9:34 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by onthesam
Extra stops on the way home!? A lot of them? Sounds painful. Would your spend have been sufficient to maintain 1K after next year had you remained flying out of ORD?
Yes, on the way home. In 2018, I was mostly flying to EWR. That leaves many options for stops on the way home. IAD, DCA, PIT, DAY, DTW, and CAK were all stops I made in 2018 flying EWR-XXX-ORD. Heck...A couple of times due to IRROPS, I flew home EWR-RDU-ORD.

-mvitale
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

PQM from the beginning. The vast majority of my travel on UA has been TCON, TATL and TPAC. I’m one of the customers UA no longer wants.
mrt88, chavala, perkele and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by halls120
PQM from the beginning. The vast majority of my travel on UA has been TCON, TATL and TPAC. I’m one of the customers UA no longer wants.
Same here...
mrt88 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
95+% TPAC for me, so PQM.

For the first time in many years I just booked outside of the *A. Already at 1K level for 2020, I see no need to further be loyal to United.

Hainan Airlines, $1806, JFK-PEK in J R/T.
(Not keen on JFK, and not keen on the long layover on the way back in CKG, but I am actually looking forward to a non-United flight again...)
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I don't think I've ever been close to requalifying on segments. Back in 2013/2014 when I used to fly 150K miles/year on UA, I probably ended up with 75+, though never above that (iirc).
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:19 am

PQM. I regularly fly MCI-SFO, taking the nonstop whenever possible. Why make a connection when I don't have to?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:58 am

I’ve gone back and forth depending on the job and territory I’m covering.

Based in Boston so I end up with connecting often. B6 is only airline I could fly mostly directly from BOS but not ready to commit to them yet as I do end up in Canada the last few years and *G is useful then.

A few few years ago I achieved platinum with only domestic flights. I was crossing PQM and PQD thresholds within a segment or two of each other. 98 segments that year and I said never again would I do that. Vast majority were multi city trips and no one airline would have worked anyway.

I add B6 now more often.

Mike
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I did 90+ segments one year when I was flying to ORD every week. I have always qualified on PQM. With the new program I will need to be a bit creative.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Miles. 90% of my domestic flights are connections to international. I think the most segments I have had in one year is 38.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:37 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Given the new changes will move to another airline for my international segements. UA will achieve it's goal of reducing the UA1K, good job UA.
SAPriorityTag likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: Too many to list
You should have included an option for "BOTH". I hit both every year, sometimes PQM gets me there faster, other times it's PQS first. Both usually happen for the past 10 years.
Dublin_rfk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.