Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What benefits should GS get in new system?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What benefits should GS get in new system?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: United 3MM GS
Bonvoy

I'd like to see Bonvoy Platinum granted to GS again
cesco.g, meducate, rieuwa and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by durward1
I'd like to see Bonvoy Platinum granted to GS again
Best suggestion of the thread,IMHO!
manstein58 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:16 pm

I'd love to see United figure out a way for GS to board last--I actually have no interest in being on a plane longer than I need to, and know the PDB is totally inconsistent. If United could use digital tools (on the app) to 'reserve' overhead space, I'd be the happiest GS in the world getting to the gate 15-20 min before the flight and putting my bag right above my seat. Know this doesn't work for last minute changes, etc, but that would be a game changer for me. UA would need to commit some operational effort to it, but what a difference it would make!

on a simpler note, I'd take the saver awards for my family vs +1 -- I've been doing all kinds of gymnastics to get T-class seats opened for my 3 kids on flights
meducate likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:59 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by cesco.g
IFL lounge access on p.s. flights (IFL > Polaris lounge)
Not to go too far off topic but one suggestion I've made when I cross paths with UA execs is to allow Polaris lounge access for at least the east-bound "sleeper" flights (i.e. any LAX/SFO p.s. departure after 3pm PST where a J customer may prefer to eat on the ground to maximize sleep in the air.)

As for GS in Polaris lounges, we know UA has the ability to target customers in real-time based on anticipated lounge volume due to 1Ks on international itineraries being invited to IFLs ~2 years ago. Since I'd assume GS's are already (?) in the front cabin internationally for the most part, this seems like a useful soft benefit which a GS would appreciate - particularly if traveling in Y with friends/family - that UA could deliver with minimal hassle and only when their anticipated Polaris lounge usage would accommodate the increased volume.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I’d like United to reinstate giving E+ seating on flights I book for my family, when I’m not traveling with them.
Great suggestion
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by jp12687
With all the talk of things the 1ks should get in the new system which devalues GS the question is...what should GS get?
Free WiFi
meducate likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by manstein58
Free WiFi
That is planned for all in 2020 per UA in July 2019. If for all, would that be be a GS devaluation.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:45 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is planned for all in 2020 per UA in July 2019. If for all, would that be be a GS devaluation.
I'll be somewhat annoyed if WiFi becomes free in 2020 as I just spent almost $700 for a years subscription for unlimited global WiFi. Also, if the entire plane is using the WiFi will the limited bandwidth make it unusable for all?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I'll be somewhat annoyed if WiFi becomes free in 2020 as I just spent almost $700 for a years subscription for unlimited global WiFi. Also, if the entire plane is using the WiFi will the limited bandwidth make it unusable for all?
Naw, GS will then get "super WiFi" and the rest of us will get "standard" equivalent to text only - with the opportunity to buy up...

David
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Basically I'd like to see the program the way it operated at its inception;
A couple of observations:
- bring back capable/dedicated GS reservation agents vs too many subpar ones these days
- opening saver award seats for multiple, or at least a couple of family members travelling on the same flight as GS member (now down to 1 family member/companion)
- upgrades clearing: 5/5+, instead of 3/3+ (days ahead/number of open premium seats)
- better CPU rates, many GS dying on #1 spot on the u/g WL these days
- GS agents presence at gate; it appears the same number or fewer GS agents are trying to serve an ever-increasing number of flights
- IFL lounge access on p.s. flights (IFL > Polaris lounge)

Other GS might recall additional valuable features from the early GS days.
X2 on the above, especially the agents, the agent at the gate maybe impractical for all flights but certainly be on hand if there is IRROPs or has been a significant delay. Looking back to the early days,I believe GS needs a cull there are way too many people in it now for an invite only program.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by narvik
As a 1K I've never observed such behavior by any 1Ks.
(Not that I was paying any attention to it though, so it's possible I could have missed it...)
I see it all the time especially international birds. So many of these 1Ks don't know their own benefits.
1Ks on domestic flights tend to be road warriors, and know more their status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.