Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ideas to use 300k miles for family of four

Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat

I am not sure how receptive you all are to these types of threads....

I have 300k MP miles that I am looking to mostly burn off for next March. Looking for ideas on itineraries for a family of four.
From MN, so obviously looking for some sun and warmth. Good food, a little history, outdoors, stuff for the kids. Domestic/foreign doesn't matter.
Wanting to know if better off booking 4 RT tix in Y with miles, or doing a little splurge and doing a couple award tix in Biz and buying a couple more.
Maybe you have something you did in the past that worked well? Would love to hear, thx!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
You don't say for how long the trip is for.

If you can do Saturday to Saturday, you could check St. Lucia (UVF) or St. Kitts/Nevis (SKB).

Last edited by narvik; Oct 11, 2019 at 6:22 pm Reason: added airport codes
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
You don't say for how long the trip is for.

If you can do Saturday to Saturday, you could check St. Lucia (UVF) or St. Kitts/Nevis (SKB).
Rats sorry about the omission. At least one week and up to 10 days in duration. Thanks for the ideas!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Rats sorry about the omission. At least one week and up to 10 days in duration. Thanks for the ideas!
We did St Lucia in February with 5 of us on award tickets in E, a rental car, and an Airbnb with a pool.

Had a BLAST and a great getaway from a freezing Northeast Pennsylvania!

BTW, award tickets should be around 17.5k to 40k one way each in E, depending on routing and availability.

Last edited by narvik; Oct 11, 2019 at 9:36 pm
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
When booking awards for a family group and if OK with separate PNRs, check award pricing for 1,2,3 & 4 separately. If there are 2 savers and you ask for 4, you will get 4 non-saver when you could book 2 saver and 2 non-saver. Put an adult on each PNR.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 12, 2019 at 2:25 pm
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When booking awards for a family group and if OK with separate PNRs, check award pricing for 1,2,3 & 4 separately. If there are 2 savers and you ask for 4, you will get 4 non-saver when you could book 2 saver and 2 non-saver. Put an adult on here PNR.
Thanks for the tip i had been searching for 4, I'll be sure to vary my search going forward
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:04 am

Could always go to Europe, try for a 70k saver business award overnight on the way out there, and return in coach on a daytime flight (paid)
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Could always go to Europe, try for a 70k saver business award overnight on the way out there, and return in coach on a daytime flight (paid)
One-way TATL Y is likely to be quite expensive.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
One-way TATL Y is likely to be quite expensive.
True, on UA at least, so possibly if you're free-agent enough, combining it with a one way return on Norwegian/Icelandair etc
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
True, on UA at least, so possibly if you're free-agent enough, combining it with a one way return on Norwegian/Icelandair etc
Haha, yes, combined with a the predictable thread "Stuck in Europe, Norwegian cancelled our flights..."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.