Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2020 MP changes — Will you switch loyalty programs? What program will you switch to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Will you switch frequent flyer programs / what will you switch to?
Stay with UA (or join UA - please post)
42.75%
Change to American Airlines
5.14%
Change to Delta Air Lines
8.07%
Change to Alaska Airlines
5.14%
Change to non-US Star Alliance (please post which program)
9.72%
Change to non-US Oneworld (please post which program)
1.83%
Change to non-US SkyTeam (please post which program)
0.37%
Split alliances / programs (please post which programs)
5.14%
Cease preference for any program
16.70%
Retain no preference for any program
5.14%
Voters: 545. You may not vote on this poll

2020 MP changes — Will you switch loyalty programs? What program will you switch to?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Switched to AA this year because of a change in flying pattern and also because the writing was on the wall with UA. Happy to have done so. Sad day for MP, though. It used to be a great program.

For people who travel mostly within the Americas, these changes are particularly brutal.
AA is a weird program to redeem in right now. Nonstop flights from MIA-DFW are running 35k, but I can still easily find J class to europe for 57.5k.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Switched to AA this year because of a change in flying pattern and also because the writing was on the wall with UA. Happy to have done so. Sad day for MP, though. It used to be a great program.

For people who travel mostly within the Americas, these changes are particularly brutal.
Don't worry, as a long time AA flier, I can promise that they make their share of "enhancements" every year as well. Today just happens to be UA's day.

Regards
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
OP - Can you add a poll? (and include 'won't be loyal to any one program' / kayak it as an option?)
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tr3k
Might be coming back to UA (after spending a year away as a Eurobonus Diamond). We'll see.
What might prompt your move back to UA?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oopsz
AA is a weird program to redeem in right now. Nonstop flights from MIA-DFW are running 35k, but I can still easily find J class to europe for 57.5k.
Redeem? How do you expect to maintain status by redeeming miles?! (Haha.)

Originally Posted by scubadu
Don't worry, as a long time AA flier, I can promise that they make their share of "enhancements" every year as well. Today just happens to be UA's day.

Regards
Oh, I know. But the gravy train will roll on for at least another year at AA compared to UA, unless AA quickly matches the change, which seems doubtful if not impossible, given its partnerships, CC deals, etc. We'll see.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:46 pm

I was platinum last year and gold this year. I will become a free agent and start flying ME3. I need to do work trips to South Asia and ME3 would be a far superior flying experience.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm being thinned from the herd and also I'm becoming a free agent like many. I’m on 50% “other people’s money” and 50% my own. The increasing spend and the corresponding value I get, make the cost-benefit ratio not worth it for me. I live in a Delta hub city, but choose to fly UA. Part nostalgia, part global network.

But, this year dropping to Plat and for 2020 I’m finally letting 1K lapse and I will just book on what’s most convenient. I think I’ll always place a preference on UA, but will place a greater importance on convenience/product over loyalty. I’m already buying up front for personal trips and am sitting on 9 GPUs that will die come 1/31. So, it’s not like those help dissuade me.

Absent anything new and amazing with my United Club Card benefits, I’m dropping that and switching to Sapphire Reserve. So, for UA, that’s two diminishing revenue streams from me.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So with the new requirements, although I will be a 1K for 2020, I will not be close to anything close to Platinum for 2021. I will be Gold due to 1MM status.

I fly TATL to London/Europe 2-3 times a year and TPAC 2-3 times a year.

I do fly an assortment of airlines but am looking for the program that will give me the best bang for my buck to try and do a status match or start earning status.

I am based in SAN so can position myself to LAX if needed for flight origination.

Try to find a new FF program or just wing it?

I think NZ may be the way to go as they go to both London and Sydney...I can then also use my *G benefits.

Or perhaps LH for the *G benefits

So will not be a status match but at least leverage my *G benefits.
Air NZ ffp is as bad as any ffp can be. Really only suited to those who fly Air NZ a lot or NZ residents (non flying activities)
Originally Posted by dkc192
If you're talking about finding a new FFP in which to earn *G, LH is among the hardest to earn *G. IIRC TK, OZ, and A3 are among the easier to earn *Gs out there.

Originally Posted by scubadu
When ever there is a major change of a ffp announced their is a surge of potential frequent flyer refugees.

With the majority of ffp's, benefits are reducing and ff mile award/upgrade costs are going up. Status & upgrades are now harder to get. The halcyon days of frequent flyer programs a decade ago are gone: just accept reality.
FF miles & benefits are a side product of flying to where you want to go: not the reason to travel.

The grass in not always greener on the other side

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 11, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
OP - Can you add a poll? (and include 'won't be loyal to any one program' / kayak it as an option?)
I am not sure if the new OP can add. I was originally the OP (another earlier thread merged into this), and I cannot see a way. Maybe it needs a moderator to do it.

I propose the following poll questions:

Will you switch frequent flyer programs?
[ ] yes (including switching to no program / free agent)
[ ] no

Will you primarily credit to a US based frequent flyer program?
[ ] yes, UA
[ ] yes, not UA
[ ] no

What alliance will you use? {allow multiple selections}
[ ] Star Alliance
[ ] Oneworld
[ ] SkyTeam
[ ] none

Open to suggestions for improvement.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
not stay. Flying fastest, cheapest, most direct, in class of service that I want.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why not specifically list all of the (major) USA based FF programs? IIRC you can have questions with up to about ten multiple answer responses.

In the first question, I'd make free agent and other program different choices.

Maybe ask about switching away from UA credit cards?

Maybe also some question about whether one will continue to strive for UA MM status, although of course it's better if the poll isn't too long.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have 1.5 million miles and was aiming for 2million by the time I slow down on flying - a little insurance for any MM devaluation. But this change means I will get nowhere near 1K so will no longer earn GPUs or points or whatever they are now called.

My initial reaction is to use up my remaining upgrades for this and next year and focus on BA instead. But then I just got off a miserable UA flight with FAs from hell.
mechteach likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Maybe it needs a moderator to do it.,...
Yes, only a moderator can do it and it can only be a single question, with a single response (out of a max of 10 choices).
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by fumje
I am not sure if the new OP can add. I was originally the OP (another earlier thread merged into this), and I cannot see a way. Maybe it needs a moderator to do it.

I propose the following poll questions:

Will you switch frequent flyer programs?
[ ] yes (including switching to no program / free agent)
[ ] no

Will you primarily credit to a US based frequent flyer program?
[ ] yes, UA
[ ] yes, not UA
[ ] no

What alliance will you use? {allow multiple selections}
[ ] Star Alliance
[ ] Oneworld
[ ] SkyTeam
[ ] none

Open to suggestions for improvement.
I looked and could not work out to create a poll. User error obviously....
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
2020 will be burn, baby burn - UA miles and upgrades. Will keep Explorer card for CPUs on awards, then cancel 2021. Will not renew UC membership (was on the fence already).

I will continue to fly TPAC CX in paid J (and the occasional EK and JL) and accrue those trips to AS, to renew at 75K. AS will also see additional west coast and Hawaii traffic from me.

T-cons (NYC, BOS) in paid front cabin will go first to B6, second to DL.

I see spend on UA dropping drastically from currently levels (will finish this year over $20k) - could easily be under $5k next year on upgradeable tickets only.
SS255, STS-134 and Aussienarelle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.