Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) & Arrivals Lounge Discussion[Archive]

Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an Archive thread, the active thread is LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) and Arrivals Lounge Discussion Thread

related thread: Consolidated connection time/logistics at LHR

Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2

Arrival Lounge Hours 5 AM - 2 PM
United Club Hours 5 AM - 10 PM
Global First Class Lounge Hours 5 AM - 10 PM
Print Wikipost

LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) & Arrivals Lounge Discussion[Archive]

Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:47 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smk48
I'm curious to hear if someone can confirm there is in fact an airside connection between T2 and T1.
Yes, there is. Confirmed in another thread. Someone actually visited the United Club before flying out of T1.

From T2 to T1 it looks like you will have to follow the signs for Flight Connections and (since this is LHR) go through security. Here's a photo taken during the last large-scale T2 trial 2.5 weeks before it opened. This is from T2 arrivals.

And from a map of the area from LHR's website.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 10, 2014 at 12:54 am
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:38 pm

What are the access rules for United's Arrival lounge? Club Members? *A Gold ?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:12 pm

Forgive me if this has already been discussed - is it confirmed that Global Services customers traveling in Economy are no longer able access the GFL in London?

We used to be able to from the T1 *A lounge, but looks to be no longer.

I asked them when I was there earlier this week and they said the rules change to 'keep down the number of guests' in the GFL.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: United Global Services & Hilton Diamond
At the new terminal today. Took 15 minutes to go from the city of London to LHR on the Heathrow Express = awesome. Took 30 minutes to walk from LHR train station to my gate = terrible design.

Even little things like global services check-in located farthest away from security is mind boggling.

New terminal lovely, but is so impractical it is stunning.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin
At the new terminal today. Took 15 minutes to go from the city of London to LHR on the Heathrow Express = awesome.
The Heathrow Express does not go to the City of London - or even near it. Paddington is one of the least well connected mainline stations.

On a separate note, agree that the walk from security to UA's pier is very long but the rest of the place seems to be very efficient. Which is more than I can say for SFO. 10 minute wait for checkin (I'm a 1k in C), 25 minute wait in the priority security lane which seems less well organised than anything you would see in Nigeria and even a ten deep line to get into the United Club. Give me T2 any day.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Ord747Cle
Forgive me if this has already been discussed - is it confirmed that Global Services customers traveling in Economy are no longer able access the GFL in London?

We used to be able to from the T1 *A lounge, but looks to be no longer.

I asked them when I was there earlier this week and they said the rules change to 'keep down the number of guests' in the GFL.
Yes. The Service Director there confirmed it (but that has been the rule since its inception).
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Ord747Cle
Must be flying BF. T1 wasn't a GFL.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The Heathrow Express does not go to the City of London - or even near it. Paddington is one of the least well connected mainline stations.

On a separate note, agree that the walk from security to UA's pier is very long but the rest of the place seems to be very efficient. Which is more than I can say for SFO. 10 minute wait for checkin (I'm a 1k in C), 25 minute wait in the priority security lane which seems less well organised than anything you would see in Nigeria and even a ten deep line to get into the United Club. Give me T2 any day.
My guess is you are British by birth. So I will quote Churchill regarding your response, it is "pedantic nonsense up with which I will not put."

Lhrsfo, of course the Heathrow Express goes from Paddington and while technically not in the city of London most readers would not be as literal as you.

Btw, I get through SFO security on average in 3 minutes and make it from garage to gate in 10-15 minutes; fundamentally worse in terminal 2 as it is not possible due to the walk.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:27 pm

Btw 2, if you add time through security, you are talking 45 minutes at LHR terminal 2 from LHR train station to gate whereas SFO is 15 minutes from gate to garage.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My guess is you are British by birth. So I will quote Churchill regarding your response, it is "pedantic nonsense up with which I will not put."

Lhrsfo, of course the Heathrow Express goes from Paddington and while technically not in the city of London most readers would not be as literal as you.

Btw, I get through SFO security on average in 3 minutes and make it from garage to gate in 10-15 minutes; fundamentally worse in terminal 2 as it is not possible due to the walk.
"City of London," written that way, has a very specific meaning. Who would write it that way unless that's what they meant?

Last edited by mgcsinc; Jun 15, 2014 at 12:17 am
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Lhrsfo, of course the Heathrow Express goes from Paddington and while technically not in the city of London most readers would not be as literal as you. ....
The City of London is a city within London.
The City of London is well know as the financial / business center and has it own mayor and government. For those familiar with London -- The City or the City of London is a very specific area of London.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:06 pm

Point is great customer experience allowing you to go 21 miles from Paddington to LHR in 15 minutes whereas awful customer experience and design that it takes 30 minutes to walk from Heathrow Express Train Station at LHR to gate assuming zero wait at security.

I didn't realize most posters would understand the difference among the city of London, inner London, and outer London and the distinctions were basically immaterial to my post. It was about the poor design of Terminal 2.

Last edited by ruechalgrin; Jun 14, 2014 at 11:28 pm Reason: Xyz
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Which is more than I can say for SFO. 10 minute wait for checkin (I'm a 1k in C), 25 minute wait in the priority security lane which seems less well organised than anything you would see in Nigeria and even a ten deep line to get into the United Club. Give me T2 any day.
The 1K int'l check-in at SFO can be awful - I've waited 45 minutes. At least the agents are usually excellent. Some of UA's best.

I don't do Terminal G security, even when there's no line. T3 Premier security is so much better and I never mind the extra 5 minute walk.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I differ from the other posters about the T2 desigh - I like it. However, arriving through it yesterday, they need to sort out the baggage delivery. All the early bags out were non-priority, whereas all the early people at the bag claim were waiting for priority bags (and were fast walkers!). The design of the delivery system requires about 6 feet of gap before a bag will drop onto the carousel. But there were no gaps so no new bags were dropping - you could see them lined up waiting. Meanwhile we had to wait for the folks in E- to arrive to claim their bags. Eventually, a baggage handler came and tried to re-arrange the bags on the carousel to trick it int delivering more.

So two issues need attention. First UA needs to train its agents to deliver the priority bags first. Second, LHR needs to make adjust the delivery software to operate with smaller gaps.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:36 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
UA to have own club in new LHR terminal.

At T2 right now, and I like it. GFL relatively calm, checked out UC and it was a zoo. Concerned what it'll be like when other airlines move in. Hopefully they will open lounges at the same time!
PS able to enjoy liquid nitrogen ice cream at The Perfectionist's Cafe. Breakfast of champions!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.