Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) & Arrivals Lounge Discussion[Archive]

Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an Archive thread, the active thread is LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) and Arrivals Lounge Discussion Thread

related thread: Consolidated connection time/logistics at LHR

Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2

Arrival Lounge Hours 5 AM - 2 PM
United Club Hours 5 AM - 10 PM
Global First Class Lounge Hours 5 AM - 10 PM
Print Wikipost

LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) & Arrivals Lounge Discussion[Archive]

Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:39 pm

I have an upcoming flight arriving on UA and then connecting to SN in terminal 1. I'm not familiar with the arrival setup at lhr. Will I be able to use the united club in terminal 2 after getting off my flight from the us and before I head over to my connection in terminal 1 or must I have a terminal 2 boarding pass to get access to that part of the terminal?

Thanks for your help!!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: UA3MMbis 1K, AA3˝MMbis Plat, AF1MMbis, BonvoyLTT
Originally Posted by smk48
I have an upcoming flight arriving on UA and then connecting to SN in terminal 1. I'm not familiar with the arrival setup at lhr. Will I be able to use the united club in terminal 2 after getting off my flight from the us and before I head over to my connection in terminal 1 or must I have a terminal 2 boarding pass to get access to that part of the terminal?

Thanks for your help!!
Terminals 1 and 2 are physically connected by walkways. When you arrive (assuming any checked bags are checked through to your final destination) follow signs for Flight Connections (not Arrivals) and you will go through security but not immigration/customs. If you follow signs for T2 you will be able to use the UA club, but you'll have to allow at least a 15 minute airside walk to get to T1 and your SN gate for your flight.

(You might have to ask for help to do a T2-to-T2 Connection since only UA is currently using T2, but personnel will certainly help you; otherwise just do a T2-to-T1 Connection which is definitely functioning; I saw it yesterday.)

If you're Star Alliance Gold you can use the T1 *A lounge in T1 departures, which is much closer to the SN gates and in my view has slightly more options than the UA club (though physically less attractive); both have showers. You could easily visit both clubs if you have enough connecting time, starting with T2 UA and then switching to T1 *A to be nearer your SN gate.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by smk48

Thanks for your help!!

Assuming you have Star Gold status or flying in Business on SN...

The United Club in Terminal 2 is departures only, and all international arriving customers are physically separated from departures until you clear security, then you will be in transit. You could go to the United Club in T2 but it would be a long walk from there to go to Terminal 1 and your flight (20-35 minutes), so it makes much more sense to simply go into transit and walk to T1 where you will have access to the Star Alliance lounge and you can shower, eat etc.

For the avoidance of doubt you will not have any access to the United arrivals lounge which is landside, which requires you to clear UK customs and immigration (and is only available for arriving customers in Global First and Business First), and then you'll need to walk outside to Terminal 1 to enter it for your flight (you wont be able to go through T2 departures to get to the SN flight, you'll be redirected to go to T1).
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:51 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Some pics from Day 1

Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by GBman
Terminals 1 and 2 are physically connected by walkways. When you arrive (assuming any checked bags are checked through to your final destination) follow signs for Flight Connections (not Arrivals) and you will go through security but not immigration/customs. If you follow signs for T2 you will be able to use the UA club, but you'll have to allow at least a 15 minute airside walk to get to T1 and your SN gate for your flight.

(You might have to ask for help to do a T2-to-T2 Connection since only UA is currently using T2, but personnel will certainly help you; otherwise just do a T2-to-T1 Connection which is definitely functioning; I saw it yesterday.)

If you're Star Alliance Gold you can use the T1 *A lounge in T1 departures, which is much closer to the SN gates and in my view has slightly more options than the UA club (though physically less attractive); both have showers. You could easily visit both clubs if you have enough connecting time, starting with T2 UA and then switching to T1 *A to be nearer your SN gate.
This is the first confirmation I've seen that there is an airside (i.e post-security) connection between T2 and T1. We were wondering about it in the other thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iences-57.html

Despite the long walk I'll be there in a month with a 3 hour layover and was definitely keen to check out the GF lounge on arrival.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by villox
This is the first confirmation I've seen that there is an airside (i.e post-security) connection between T2 and T1. We were wondering about it in the other thread.
That is going to be a critical connection over the next few months. I'm arriving on a LH flight before they move, and the first thing I asked about was the ease of getting from T1 to T2.

Nice pictures of the new club. A shame they can't make the domestic clubs at least half as nice....
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by halls120
That is going to be a critical connection over the next few months. I'm arriving on a LH flight before they move, and the first thing I asked about was the ease of getting from T1 to T2.

Nice pictures of the new club. A shame they can't make the domestic clubs at least half as nice....
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are arriving on an LH flight, you're still going to have to go through security again. There's clearly a pedestrian walkway between the two terminals; the only question is whether there were two of them (one before you go through security and another after). If there's one airside, post-security, then people will be able to freely visit both T1 and T2 clubs after re-clearing security during flight connections.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...-international
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by villox
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are arriving on an LH flight, you're still going to have to go through security again. There's clearly a pedestrian walkway between the two terminals; the only question is whether there were two of them (one before you go through security and another after). If there's one airside, post-security, then people will be able to freely visit both T1 and T2 clubs after re-clearing security during flight connections.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...-international
I know I will have to go through security. I'm just happy I won't have to board one of the da*ned LHR terminal buses.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^
Originally Posted by Markie
"pix"
Thanks for reporting, Markie. Nice Pix!

This appears to be breakfast offering, I guess (?). Nice food
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:32 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Very disappointed to learn that the walk from check-in is even worse than the mile hike to the gates from the *A lounge in T1. T3 was so much better.... LHR really is a Third-World airport in this regard.

Judging from the photos, the UA Club now has considerably higher ceilings than the oppressively low roof on the T1*A lounge which. combined with no windows on the outside world, was quite horrible. Once again, the T3 Red Carpet Club was so much better in this respect, both as regards ceiling height and windows. I'm not clear exactly where the UA Club is located, but I assume that it is before you get to the point where the T1 and T2 corridors join up.

I'll be able to judge for myself next month when I depart LHR, but in the meantime, many thanks to one and all for the reports so far.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:01 pm

The T2 United Club and Global First Lounge are located at B1 which is very close to the UA departure gates. Once you arrive at the B concourse (you'll know you have arrived b/c you'll have to take two consecutive escalators as a final part of your walk to get there)....walking forward you will see a sign on your left for the United Lounges...take the elevator up one level. Depending upon your status you may use either the UC or GFL. It looks like the pictures posted by Markie were in the UC, not the GFL.
It is very convenient to have the lounges next to the gates.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
Very disappointed to learn that the walk from check-in is even worse than the mile hike to the gates from the *A lounge in T1. T3 was so much better.... LHR really is a Third-World airport in this regard.

Judging from the photos, the UA Club now has considerably higher ceilings than the oppressively low roof on the T1*A lounge which. combined with no windows on the outside world, was quite horrible. Once again, the T3 Red Carpet Club was so much better in this respect, both as regards ceiling height and windows. I'm not clear exactly where the UA Club is located, but I assume that it is before you get to the point where the T1 and T2 corridors join up.

I'll be able to judge for myself next month when I depart LHR, but in the meantime, many thanks to one and all for the reports so far.
Perhaps comment would be better after visiting. There is no way that T3 is better than T2 - T3 is a very old terminal with oppressively low ceilings, whereas T2 is a very modern terminal with very high ceilings and light everywhere.

It's not relevant now, but the T1 *A lounge I visited every month most certainly did have windows - quite large numbers of them, which I always sat beside. I will agree that the view was of nothing, but there were windows and there was natural light.

There is no way that the old T3 RCC was better than the new UC in T2 (other than the booze was self service. Everything else is a huge improvement. As to LHR being a 3rd world airport, it depends how you define 3rd world, I suppose. It's clearly not as glitzy as quite a few modern airports in what used to be called the 3rd world, but then it's an awful lot better than many airports in what used to be called the 1st world - LAX or ORD or IAD spring to mind. In fact T2 and T5 are really very nice and T4 is quite ok. T1 is about to be demolished so is no longer relevant. That only leaves T3, but we don't have to worry about that in this section of FT.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
. As to LHR being a 3rd world airport, it depends how you define 3rd world, I suppose. It's clearly not as glitzy as quite a few modern airports in what used to be called the 3rd world, but then it's an awful lot better than many airports in what used to be called the 1st world - LAX or ORD or IAD spring to mind. In fact T2 and T5 are really very nice and T4 is quite ok. T1 is about to be demolished so is no longer relevant. That only leaves T3, but we don't have to worry about that in this section of FT.
Calling LHR a third world airport is absurd. LFW, COO, NSI - those are Third world airports.

The only problem I have with LHR is the physical layout of the terminals.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Has anyone been inside the GFL yet? We've read about the main UC, but how about the GFL? Can anyone post a photo or two?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:55 am

Chris took a lot of pictures, although I can't quite tell which is what.

Blog post: http://travelskills.com/2014/06/04/f...ondon-lounges/

Picture link: https://plus.google.com/photos/+Chri...77638066859841

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.