Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:49 pm

I need 200,000 miles to become a MM. Now that UA has changed the Premier Qualification Requirements, I would like to accelerate my Mileage Runs during 2020 since I currently have Gold Status and probably will not qualify for 2021.

1. In order for the actual miles to qualify as lifetime miles, I must fly UA Metal?
2. What if I book a UA ticket and I end up on AC or LH Metal?
3. What if I book an AC or LH ticket and I end up on UA Metal?
4. Do Basic Economy actual miles qualify at 100% as lifetime miles?

Thank you!!!
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Max 747400
I need 200,000 miles to become a MM. Now that UA has changed the Premier Qualification Requirements, I would like to accelerate my Mileage Runs during 2020 since I currently have Gold Status and probably will not qualify for 2021.

1. In order for the actual miles to qualify as lifetime miles, I must fly UA Metal?

Thank you!!!
UA metal only. Doesn’t matter if booked through another carrier, as long as UA MP credited. BE qualify 100% towards lifetime.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by drewguy
In other words, the number of elites will remain the same, but it will be less costly to give them the benefits of status, because most of them will be paying for those benefits through their fare class.
Yes, that’s what they appear to be doing.

They reported that the total number of elites won’t change. If you accept that statement as accurate, the new spend and segment requirements must be saying something about the behavior of current customers. $24k wasn’t just pulled out of the air; 54 segments—interesting.

I also think they’ve added a nice tension between the MM and MP programs. With the current program, flying a lot earned you current both status and more lifetime miles. Now the miles no longer matter for current status (on United); the focus is spend. I imagine most people will focus on annual elite status.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I'm not sure that the soon to be newly minted 1Ks should count their eggs before they hatch. Someone mooted the possibility that the number of 1Ks may actually increase. If that does prove to be the case then that will bring with it its own issues and much gnashing of teeth. I would want more elites (GS/1K) than less if I was running this business to ensure the money kept flowing my way. I wonder how this will pan out in 2021.

The deal is that they’re likely minting elites who don’t fly often and won’t avail themselves of the benefits. Think of an executive who flies to Europe in business for quarterly meetings. That person could spend $25 to $35k annually and accrue 30 to 40,000 miles. That person becomes 1K. This change could create a bigger pool of elites who spend much more time at home than at airports.
Boraxo, Silver Fox and glbltvlr like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
No PQM showing for 2020?

I notice flights for 2020 are now listing PQF and PQP. I wonder why PQM\distance isn't showing as that is still relevant for MM qualification.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
The deal is that they’re likely minting elites who don’t fly often and won’t avail themselves of the benefits. Think of an executive who flies to Europe in business for quarterly meetings. That person could spend $25 to $35k annually and accrue 30 to 40,000 miles. That person becomes 1K. This change could create a bigger pool of elites who spend much more time at home than at airports.
The big winner here may be LH, the best use of GPU’s for these 1K’s is going to be upgrading LH business to first, since there is no Global first now.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
So did some pondering....I think the goal was set at 30 to 33 cents per mile. Average UA stage ength of 1,000 miles (unsure of exact length)with $18k/54 gets us to $333 per segment. At most variables your average revenue is 30-33 cents. Any lower or higher directly impacts the number of segments you need and phases out to the 4 segment minimum.

So let says i do $600 pqd every two weeks oustation to another outstation. Say each flight is 500 miles that is 26 trips * 600 and 104 segments. Under the old rules you would be plt with 1k spend....new rules still plt. Problem UA has is that some of their customers fly a mixed bag of Y domestic and J. The 30 cent rule also is penalizing the flyer that buys W fares or lower only overcome by buyups or more trips. The calculation error is that many won't see "the stretch" spend worth the benefits as shown today as the big spenders are inelastic to those benefits anyway either through contracts or purchasing F anyway.

But I think UA is betting on the upsell more than anything... the offer to buy up will be pushed even more just like impulse buys along the lines of "seat 21D is looking to buy this upgrade now"....even more sinister an auction system. (Coming Oct 2020)

Just soaking in what has changed and now know.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold

Thank you!!!
Planning to have BIS of 200K (1 year) or even 100K x two years in a row on UA metal? That is awful punishment.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Exactly

It makes perfect sense from a business perspective.

Customers who spend more and cost less are the ideal customers but the problem is that all the airlines are playing the same game and UAs hard and soft product are not that differentiated.

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zebranz
Planning to have BIS of 200K (1 year) or even 100K x two years in a row on UA metal? That is awful punishment.
It's not too bad. I have done 100k BIS each of the last 8 years, almost all on UA metal. Pushing 175k this year, though I did have a few 1.5 multipliers in there for PP. I'm in the same boat (about 200k short of 1MM). Hoping to get there in the next 1.5 years or so.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

Thank you!!!
1. Yes, UA metal only
2. Nope, doesn't count as lifetime. Would count as PQD if flown in 2019.
3. Yes, it counts
4. Yes, and also counts toward PQD, but only 50% PQM (until December 31)

Now accelerating your mileage running is the interesting scenario. Let's say you do your mileage runs at 5 cpm. To qualify for Gold status, you need 10k PQP, or $10,000 worth of spend. At 5 cpm, that's 200,000 miles worth, which coincidentally would also get you your MM status.
onthesam likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Lol they booted you as a customer and you suddenly became a carbon warrior, well allright, hope you also quit cruises, SUV's, steaks etc etc.
As well as quit having children, quit building new freeways, quit allowing production of high-horsepower cars, quit allowing immigration of any kind since it invariably increases the carbon footprint in the destination country, quit smoking weed (pot cultivation and production has 4 times the carbon footprint of tobacco in addition to being the most GMO'd botanical on the planet-way worse than Monsanto glyphosate-resistant soybeans), quit allowing construction of housing bigger than 500 square feet per person (the recommended maximum dwelling size according to the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), etc., etc.
st3 and limey1K like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 15, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: United Platinum; Hilton D; Marriott G
Before the announcement, I was sweating to make PP again. Now I'll just use Google Flight and take whatever airline gets me there with a decent fare. I'll probably status match with DL as it is the only other airline out of LNK. So much for mileage runs. I'm not about to spend the kind of money UA wants on fares for domestic flights. I also won't have to jury-rig a multi-segment flight to get my minimum. With my MM status I guess I'll be around, but I won't be as married to UA as I have since 1995.
Silver Fox and am1108 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by STS-134
1. Yes, UA metal only
2. Nope, doesn't count as lifetime. Would count as PQD if flown in 2019.
3. Yes, it counts
4. Yes, and also counts toward PQD, but only 50% PQM (until December 31)

Now accelerating your mileage running is the interesting scenario. Let's say you do your mileage runs at 5 cpm. To qualify for Gold status, you need 10k PQP, or $10,000 worth of spend. At 5 cpm, that's 200,000 miles worth, which coincidentally would also get you your MM status.
I was hoping to average 2.0 - 3.0 cpm ($5,000 to $6,000) for the 200,000 miles.

To clarify, does Basic Economy earn 100% miles towards MM. For example, SFO-PEK is approximately 12K Miles RT. Does the entire 12K get credited to MM?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...To clarify, does Basic Economy earn 100% miles towards MM. For example, SFO-PEK is approximately 12K Miles RT. Does the entire 12K get credited to MM?
100% - the new Premier status qualification scheme does not change MM qualification. Here’s the current language relative to BE and Lifetime miles

Certain MileagePlus and Premier member benefits are not available

If you're a MileagePlus member, you will still earn award miles based on the fare and your MileagePlus status, as well as full Premier qualifying dollars, lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum. However, MileagePlus members will earn 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments, and they won't receive some benefits.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.