Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Well, LH paid J just got a lot more of my business!
Pat89339 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by YoYoGodMom
If you are not invested in MM (yes only UA metal counts toward MM status), then getting on partner airline where PQP is based on miles x fare class seems to be better than 016 ticket.l
Except you've now committed yourself to another airline basically to make your status. It'll be what you fly for the majority of your flights for the year. Why would you still try to make status on United in that case? In most cases, they cap United members at *G anyway, while leaving better benefits for their own members. If you are going to fly 100K+ miles with a *A partner just to make United 1K, why not just go with that airline's program. In fact, this policy perverts the incentive, to almost exclusively NOT fly United except for the minimum 4 segments a year. So you'll spend all year as a lowly *G on SQ or BR, but get to be 1K for the minimum 4 flights from SF too LAX. What's the point?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLATINUM
Which legacy cards will allow contributions to 1K?

The points guy article on this shambles of a new MileagePlus system states “However certain legacy cards will allow members to earn 1,000 PQPs towards 1K — United will communicate that earning opportunity directly to customers with eligible discontinued cards.”

do we know which cards fall into this category? This is far short of the 10K I currently get with my old mileage plus visa signature card after spending 35K but I may keep it if this card is one if the legacy cards. Otherwise it’s toast. No point keeping it at all.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The flight segment thing is going to hurt some for sure. Without the 1.5 multiplier that's a lot of segments .... but then again if you have enough PQP it does not matter.

I wasn't sure if this change was good/bad/neutral for me, so I calculated what 2019 will be under the current rules and would be under 2020 rules. Looks like it is slightly better for me, but that is without using some of the flexibility the new rules may bring such as the ability to book partner ticketed flights. So overall this seems to be a positive change for me.

Under 2019 rules I will be at the following @ EOY:
246372 PQM
88 PQS
50416 PQD

Under 2020 rules I would be at the following @ EOY:
65 PQF
56743 PQP

so under either rule I obviously qualify for 1K but the difference comes when looking at PlusPoints for upgrades.

Under 2019 rules I will have: 520 PlusPoints
Under 2020 rules I would have had: 560 PlusPoints

So unless I am mistaken the new rules work slightly better for me, but are almost the same.

Not sure how 2020 will shape, but I already have a non-016 ZRH-BOS on LX in P and JFK-SIN-FRA-JFK in D-class on SQ booked ... so that will now earn 4046 PQP for each of us where it would have been zero before.
Looks like this is a change I like, but I realize it will not be good for many other members here.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by audreyvuong
Except you've now committed yourself to another airline basically to make your status. It'll be what you fly for the majority of your flights for the year. Why would you still try to make status on United in that case? In most cases, they cap United members at *G anyway, while leaving better benefits for their own members. If you are going to fly 100K+ miles with a *A partner just to make United 1K, why not just go with that airline's program. In fact, this policy perverts the incentive, to almost exclusively NOT fly United except for the minimum 4 segments a year. So you'll spend all year as a lowly *G on SQ or BR, but get to be 1K for the minimum 4 flights from SF too LAX. What's the point?
Except you're taking an extreme case. I fly UA TATL very regularly, when I could easily fly LH, which has the better J product (in my view). Now fly Asia flights will be on NH and LH, TATL will be a mix (depending on cabin), and I'll keep UA for domestic US. I think I may actually benefit from this change (which is far more complicated than the complicated process it purports to replace!)
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I am in the United T2 lounge at LHR now so that is one of the perks. Priority boarding, E+, Hertz, President's Circle, 1K line, priority checkin I value. I do not value them enough to chase status, nor rate the airline itself enough. 10 across seating in E+, and I am sure 11 across in the future (not just United, they all follow each other, it's just a question of which sheep breaks out from the flock first). I think it is the sticker shock tat they have moved rather quickly from miles to dollars. And again I get that but for some insane reason I thought it might be a softer landing. But why would it? From the comments that people make here Killby (or is it Kirby) has form on this sort of thing so I shouldn't be surprised. As 1K is unachievable for me without a significant amount of effort it makes a lot of follow on decisions a lot easier so I am quite chilled about it all. It will be interesting to watch as a detached observer how this all plays out.
With lifetime Gold don't you get that lounge, (lesser) priority boarding, and E+? So yeah, it would be chasing to get President's Circle and the 1K line which...yeah, no.

I too am detached. I'm OZ Diamond and considering Diamond Plus. That would take "incremental spend" that I am willing to do, since there are slight but noticeable perks for D+ that make spending a bit more tempting. I think that's what UA's new requirements are missing (even moreso than the old standards).
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by YoYoGodMom
If you are not invested in MM (yes only UA metal counts toward MM status), then getting on partner airline where PQP is based on miles x fare class seems to be better than 016 ticket.l
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Except you're taking an extreme case. I fly UA TATL very regularly, when I could easily fly LH, which has the better J product (in my view). Now fly Asia flights will be on NH and LH, TATL will be a mix (depending on cabin), and I'll keep UA for domestic US. I think I may actually benefit from this change (which is far more complicated than the complicated process it purports to replace!)
Thanks for your reply, but if this change benefits you, then you are the extreme case!
I think somebody that flies from the US to Europe and Asia on business class regularly has no problem making the status on any of the programs. You are exactly who they want.

What they just killed are the people that primarily travel overseas on UA Economy. The 1K benefits for an economy flight overseas on UA are the most significant, from the upgrades to last minute award bookings/changes. Your status doesn't matter much when you are paying J on any airline. It will take all year for a person to earn United 1K flying economy via SQ, BR, NH, etc. At that point, when would you even have time left over to enjoy 1K benefits on United flights?

And yes, United has every right to make a profit however they think they can. So while I'm annoyed, it's just business. They will lose me for 2021 as I burn up all my miles flying free in 2020 (have about 600K to burn through), but if they make more from others, it's the right call.
thedon likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT
What about booking intercontinental UA flights with foreign partner airlines flight number, non 016 ticketing? Would I get lifetime miles AND PQP?

Last edited by Happydayy; Oct 12, 2019 at 2:02 am Reason: Editing for clarity
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Happydayy
What about booking intercontinental UA flights with foreign partner airlines flight number, non 016 ticketing? Would I get lifetime miles AND PQP?
I thought it was confirmed that only flights on UA metal counts?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Happydayy
there is no change to this at all. UA metal flights will continue to earn based on dollar spent even on non-016 tickets. You are already getting LT miles and PQD today so you will get LT miles and PQP tomorrow.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: UA PG, IHG Diamond Amb
I think i speak for many foreign UA 1Ks wen i say this is absolutely terrible.
I tended to hit around the 100,000 mark for the last 5 years, on purely economy seats - 1-2 UA trips a year, and the rest mostly LH/LX/TK from TLV to Asia.

So relatively few segments - i'm 75K PQM and 19 segments, with another 14 segments planned for the year with another 45K PQM.

So 1K is impossible. I guess it could be argued that my travel is not deserving of the top tier anyway.
24K PQP is absolutely out of the question - equivalent to 120K base award miles on Lufthansa - which never happens because i would rarely get 100% award miles for a flight.
18K PQP is also unlikely as its 90K base award miles, and 54 segments is an absolute impossibility.

12K PQP and 36 PQF for Platinum is remotely possible if i purposely take a lot of stopovers or do some SDC runs to get 6 PQFs out of each UA trip.

So most likely I drop down to gold after 6 years as 1K, or find me another program. I guess UA don't care much as i don't bring then that much $$ anyway.
Silver Fox and delpiero223 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
I have mixed feeling about these changes affect me. I am happy that United will be basing status on the amount of cash spent vs the physical miles flown. Clearing the ranks of status members may help when competing for upgrades. The downside is the increase to dollars spent for all tiers. Plus if (or more likely when) dynamic award pricing starts for partner awards I will have to leave.

I mainly fly domestic flights on cheaper refundable economy fares (usually E fare). Sadly I will likely miss Gold this year (unless work travel picks up significantly) with 27k PQM, 28 PQS and 6.5k PQD currently. I have wasted a lot of hours chasing irrational routing to get extra PQM and I am glad I will no longer need to do that. If I had taken more logic routing my PQM's would likely be closer to ~20k with same PQD. I guess WN is always an option but I will miss the upgrades and partner awards...
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:47 am

For me the main benefits of UA and 1K are (were) very low fees when booking award flights, free changes to award tickets up to the flight, excellent earning on LH/LX/OS, full value PQMs on UA and close partner airlines.

I haven't checked LH M&M lately, but i think their program mainly sucks in comparison on most of these issues. I was much better off taking 4 UA segments a year and the rest on partners.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by briank1973
I hear you and empathise, but do keep in mind that without incentives for us non-US residents, we would be more inclined to fly with other airlines. We can't fly United within our country of residence, or between our country and another non-US country (usually, although there are a few non-US to non-US flights that United has I believe).

I'm still unsure what changes for non-US residents will be yet as I can't seem to find anything in the above. I've also not gotten an email from United about Mileage Plus changes. I don't think I'll be going beyond Gold (due to 1MM) anytime soon if segments are apart of qualifying. Whereas I could hit 75k PQMs for platinum in as little as 13 segments, flying 36 segments is not doable at all for me. I'm not even sure if I've ever had 36 segments in a year, even the few times I made 1K.
Yeah. They have gone from making 1K and Platinum of non-US people who fly a lot of long-haul relatively easy, to making it nearly impossible for most.

I think its too much of an over-correction. But they do what their business and shareholders need. Not what i want.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I am 1MM and will continue to use United for majority of my travel until I reach 2MM I guess (especially my travel involves US, Asia, and Europe).
But to reach 54PQF with 18K PQP (instead of 24K PQP), I may have to leverage some intra Asia flights with ANA or Eva which I already take regularly anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.