Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Looking to earn PQP ‘s, recently learned that United vacations issues bulk fairs. What is the earning rate for PQP‘s when crediting to UA. For example LAX-EWR-CDG-EWR-LAX in economy?
note that while UAV does sell bulk fares, not all the fares they sell are bulk. It’s been a while since I went looking, but they tell you in the search results which fares are published or not. IIRC, there is a link to the side which lists whether it is published or bulk, but it’s been a while since I’ve gone through a search there. When I was out of CVG and looking, bulk fares were few and far between.

note that despite the name, UAV is not owned by United, they are just a travel agency that licenses out the UA names and sells UA fares only/primarily (there may be some partner flights available).
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 3:44 am

I have some upcoming flights in Europe and crediting to United seems like a decent option - especially since LH didn't reduce qualification requirements at all.
Did United waive the 4 UA flight requirement for 2021? Or otherwise, is there any exemption to the rule for non-US based members?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by klanfa
I have some upcoming flights in Europe and crediting to United seems like a decent option - especially since LH didn't reduce qualification requirements at all.
Did United waive the 4 UA flight requirement for 2021? Or otherwise, is there any exemption to the rule for non-US based members?
There is a waiver for non-US residents

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...residents.html
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True but they are giving double status miles for LH flights.
kilo likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Not a general waiver, but those with an international address (I think as of a certain date) are waived. If so, you should see the requirement as met in your account.

Seems to me whatever programming they did for this was not done correctly or done randomly. I have had a US-based address again as my primary since about 2015 (it might have ben 2016), but still have a Canadian address on my account from a couple of years prior to that - I somehow got the 4-segment waiver, including an email to let me know. My wife, who made changes at the same time, and also still had the Canadian address on file, but not as primary, didn't receive the waiver. Not sure why I got it and she didn't (to be clear - neither of us should have).
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
True but they are giving double status miles for LH flights.
Plus a current promotion in which you could potentially earn 7000 status miles (M&M) in one round trip.

Summer Status promo: fly one short or longhaul return, receive 2/5/7000 status miles
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:06 am

Thanks for the quick responses and inputs everyone.
Seems like I missed the waiver since I was too lazy to update my address even though I left the US 2 years ago. Oops I guess.

I expect most of my flying to be shorthaul in Europe and unless you get to expensive booking classes, you barely get any miles. With 35k status miles needed even for lowest status... It's a lot of miles. 30 segments isn't actually that hard to do but the few miles that you get along the way are kinda useless. I was at 15 segments and 8k status miles before COVID last year.

United's award chart seemed a better value proposition for me (intra-Europe with little competition and w/o LCCs) due to significantly lower both taxes and mileage requirements.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:31 am

Question Chase UR -> Copa -> United Miles Question

I had booked SFO-PTY-LIM-PTY-SFO on Copa via the Chase UR portal, and crediting miles to my United account. Copa just rescheduled one of the return flights so that the connection time in PTY would be negative 4 minutes (brilliant, I know). I convinced Copa to rebook me on United metal (via IAH) later in the day instead, and have confirmed the flight and seats. Does anybody know how would these miles will be credited? My flight is on Copa ticket stock, but United metal, and there's no codeshare with this United flight, so I have no clue what would happen? Any advice is appreciated!
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA metal segments will credit according to the allocated fare, unless you have a BULK ticket.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
UA metal segments will credit according to the allocated fare, unless you have a BULK ticket.
Are segments on UA-operated bulk tickets subject to the same maximums as partner flights (750 / 1500 PQP depending on class of service)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.